Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Can K200D Use Ordinary CR-V3 Lithiums?

I mean *physically*. Can CR-V3 be inserted??

Any K200D user can tell? (The user manual has not mentioned CR-V3 with the K200D, unlike previous Pentax models)

07-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CR-v3 batteries are supposed to be "exactly" as two AA paired with +/- side by side. In theory, they should be fine but there may be a "physical" limitarion in the camera that prevents cr-v3 batteries to be used (as they are a single unit and not two separate batteries as AA's). Also, remember that cr-v3 batteries have a flat side and a notched side, making polarity go in in certain way that is not reversable.

I do not have a K200D but I suggest doing the following:

1) Check that the crv3 batteries physically fits in battery compartment.

2) Double check that the polarity is at it should be. My guess is that if Pentax does not suggest the use of Cr-v3 batteries, then there may be a good reason for it.

RB
07-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've heard that some cameras have problems with certain brands of CR-V3 batteries, so I wonder if that's why Pentax isn't listing them.
Probably Sigma's top shooter recently bought an older model (SD9) and thought it was broken when he tried 2 fresh sets. The third set worked fine. So if he has problems needing to ask some advice you just know that the average consumer might have more.
07-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't own K200D, but I've seen pictures of battery compartment that clearly show CR-V3 incompatibility. I guess we have to thank Pentax/Energizer contract for that - Energizer AA's are the only usable disposable batteries for K200D users. Too bad, as I regularly keep a couple of CR-3V as backup for K100D Super or *Ist DS.

Edit: found the post:

QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Hi Rice,

Thanks for your advices.
However, actually I used alot of R-CRV3 on my previous Kodak DC.

I tried putting RCR-V3 onto my K200d but in vain. It is indeed physically not allowed. Deep inside the battery compartment, there is a plastic "slot" built in the middle halved way between there, which prevent insertion of RCR-V3 (regulated or not; definitely not! I tried). Only normal AA size batteries can be put in.

(attached an image taken before I sent my K200d baby out)

Last edited by Matjazz; 07-17-2008 at 08:15 AM.
07-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

No CRV3s in the K200D

It is not possible to use CRV3 batteries in the K200D (and it has nothing to do with the agreement between Pentax and Energizer). Pentax wanted to maintain a certain size with the K200D and include weather seals. The CRV3 batteries are slightly longer than AA batts. When inserted, they pushed on the battery door and made a gap in the weather seals.
07-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
It is not possible to use CRV3 batteries in the K200D (and it has nothing to do with the agreement between Pentax and Energizer). Pentax wanted to maintain a certain size with the K200D and include weather seals. The CRV3 batteries are slightly longer than AA batts. When inserted, they pushed on the battery door and made a gap in the weather seals.
Sounds reasonable.
07-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi,

For those who still wondering if CR-V3 (ordinary, 3V) or R-CRV3 (rechargable, 3.8Vmax) can be used on K200d or not, I can show you what happen by demostration that both CR-V3 and R-CRV3 cannot be used because they cannot be put in. (See attached pictures) Left one is UNiRoss R-CR-V3. Right one is Kodak ordinary CR-V3 (3V).

I dont know why my Kodak DC can support AA, CR-V3 or R-CRV3 but K200d just do not support this kindy of CR-V3 batteries. You can state any reasons such as CR-V3 is 2mm longer than AA or whatever etc for them. (But I think the springs can go 2mm)

I used Enerygier Ni-MH AA 2450mAH batteries (low-self discharge type). It last for 1.5 day shot. (Can spare them by 4 pieces of AA Li-ion batteries) OK for me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
KODAK Z712 IS ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA  Photo         

Last edited by ckanthon; 07-17-2008 at 04:39 PM.
07-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too Bad..

Too bad that even disposable CR-V3 lithiums cannot be used now.

I think the CR-V3 lithiums have been the best non-rechargeable battery for any Pentax "AA battery" DSLR! They have the longest life and the cameras can perform at peak with them in it. AA Lithiums are actually not as good.

I just wonder why Pentax needed to do this to the K200D. Are they being so afraid of users to use the RCR-V3 that they needed to kill even the ideal CR-V3 which they have being highly recommended for all previous models all together??

In fact, I would stop to consider further the K200D at this point if both my CR-V3 stocks and RCR-V3 (regulated) cannot be used in it.

Hi,

For those who still wondering if CR-V3 (ordinary, 3V) or R-CRV3 (rechargable, 3.8Vmax) can be used on K200d or not, I can show you what happen by demostration that both CR-V3 and R-CRV3 cannot be used because they cannot be put in. (See attached pictures) Left one is UNiRoss R-CR-V3. Right one is Kodak ordinary CR-V3 (3V).

I dont know why my Kodak DC can support AA, CR-V3 or R-CRV3 but K200d just do not support this kindy of CR-V3 batteries. You can state any reasons such as CR-V3 is 2mm longer than AA or whatever etc for them. (But I think the springs can go 2mm)

I used Enerygier Ni-MH AA 2450mAH batteries (low-self discharge type). It last for 1.5 day shot. (Can spare them by 4 pieces of AA Li-ion batteries) OK for me.
07-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Pentax never recommended Rechargeable CRV3

Pentax has never recommended using rechargeable CRV3 batteries in our DSLRs that take them. In fact, they should not be used as there is the potential that they can damage the camera.

Rechargeable CRV3 batteries provide an inconsistant power supply and can have a power spike right after they are charged and placed in a camera. This is what could cause damage.
07-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi,

Partially agree with the situations. K200d improved power comsumption and 2500mAH NI-MH can produce around 120 shots. This is acceptable to me as I played it 1.5 day without changing batteries.
However, some people really using one piece of regulated CR-V3 together with two pieces of Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. These save money (non-rechargeable is lighter in weight but expensive) as well as enabling to take more pictures. Why dont they allow to use one piece of CRV3. (both ridges now blocked all)

However, if you see the differences between the originary CRV3 and the regulated rechargeable R-CRV3 batteries (see last photo), the difference bewteen them is only on the "lenght of the groove" (at the front side). The "stopper surface" of the CRV3 is a little bit wider than that of R-CRV3. Kodak P&S makes a position sensing switch at there to distingiush between 3V CRV3 battery or 3.8V R-CRV3 battery. That made the power circuit design a lot more simpler. Not that difficult to handle such power handling circuit when you have such a simple "Voltage" sensor.

One other issue is that the production quality of CRV3 on the market is a bit various. You needed to use the reliable brand.

Last edited by ckanthon; 07-18-2008 at 08:49 PM.
07-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Since it appears that some people prefer using the CR-V3 batteries will the battery grip will hold them then?

I'm just trying to think up an easy solution
07-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As another data point, I use Sanyo Eneloop 2000 mAh batteries in my K200D. I get hundreds of shots (like at least 300 no problem) and the battery icon _still shows full_. I've never shot more without recharging just because it makes sense to charge the batteries before leaving on a weekend trip (camping without charger).

Shortly after I bought the camera I thought that maybe the batteries were going to be an annoyance, but it has turned out to be a total non-issue for me. If you only get a hundred shots, get better batteries (and maybe a better charger).
07-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Well it was around that number of shots I would say. Actually it could be more. Around 150 shots or something I think because I also used flash. Never count it precisely. Therefore the exact number of shot is not that clear to me. But I think 2500mAH rechargeable which that level of performance is quite acceptable. (Only needed to bring along with me one package of spared Li-ion batteries it is no problem for me).
07-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Pentax has never recommended using rechargeable CRV3 batteries in our DSLRs that take them. In fact, they should not be used as there is the potential that they can damage the camera.

Rechargeable CRV3 batteries provide an inconsistant power supply and can have a power spike right after they are charged and placed in a camera. This is what could cause damage.
I was not referring to RCR-V3, but just disposable CR-V3, which was bundled with Pentax DSLRs like *ist D and *ist DS - I got two sets from Pentax so far, both made by Panasonic. My K100D did not have the CR-V3 bundled, though, but just a set of AA Alkalines.
07-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it was around that number of shots I would say. Actually it could be more. Around 150 shots or something I think because I also used flash. Never count it precisely. Therefore the exact number of shot is not that clear to me. But I think 2500mAH rechargeable which that level of performance is quite acceptable. (Only needed to bring along with me one package of spared Li-ion batteries it is no problem for me).
If your estimate is accurate, that level of battery life is indeed terribly short. Normally, if Li-ion is used, we get at least 300 shots even built-in flash is used for some shots.