Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 04:56 AM   #46
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yes, it does. That's the point of removing the retaining spring.

There have been people who have (carefully) drilled a hole in the adapter to take the retaining plunger in the K mount, then put it on the lens with loctite. This basically gives them a stop-down K mount lens. I wouldn't try that without meticulous, precise marking of the adapter followed by the very careful use of a vise and drill press. Definitely one to try with a Chinese cheapie.
Na na that hole is drilled in the lens base. It is outside the adapter. That is why the noninfinity adapter is better (if you don't require infinity) . The adapter has a larger flange and incorporates a locating hole.

---------- Post added 06-20-16 at 11:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There's no sense in spending the additional money to buy an OEM adapter if you are going to remove the spring. They reason you buy a genuine Pentax adapter is because the spring doesn't jam.
I think it is reasonable to say the pentax adapter has a smoother fit as well.

06-20-2016, 06:09 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Na na that hole is drilled in the lens base. It is outside the adapter. That is why the noninfinity adapter is better (if you don't require infinity)
Thanks for clearing that up (should have known, really, stupid me). However, not having infinity is a bit of a deal-breaker for me - except possibly for a macro lens. I'm sure someone with the appropriate skills could modify the helicoid to suit, but that person is not me. On the other hand, a lens that focuses PAST infinity would be ideal in this case (the question is whether it can reach far enough past in its native state to cover the loss).
06-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #48
Pentaxian

There have been people who have (carefully) drilled a hole in the adapter to take the retaining plunger in the K mount, then put it on the lens with loctite. This basically gives them a stop-down K mount lens. I wouldn't try that without meticulous, precise marking of the adapter followed by the very careful use of a vise and drill press. Definitely one to try with a Chinese cheapie.
Part of the current reason for my having an M42 kit is backup in case my K-30 develops the aperture control problem, so another stop-down K-mount lens is the last thing I'd want to create.
06-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
so another stop-down K-mount lens is the last thing I'd want to create.
Except that with a modified M42 lens, the aperture control module comprises your brain and fingers.

06-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Except that with a modified M42 lens, the aperture control module comprises your brain and fingers.
I guess I don't understand what you mean.
All of my M42 lenses have a manual mode, so when I use them with the genuine Chinese adapter, they are always in the f-stop set on the aperture dial.
How would your modification change that?
06-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How would your modification change that?
The mod I'm describing is the drilling of a shallow hole or indent in the lens, so that when a K-mount adapter without the clip is put on it, it locks into place on the camera the same way a K, M, A etc. lens does and can be taken off in the same way, as easily as any K. In effect, it becomes a K-mount lens with Takumar stop-down features.
06-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it does. That's the point of removing the retaining spring.

You don't drill a hole in the adapter. The adapter sits entirely inside the mount. You drill a hole in the back of the lens, if the lens has a wide enough base...
06-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You don't drill a hole in the adapter. The adapter sits entirely inside the mount.
LOL yeah, I know; I have already acknowledged my silly mistake above. My bad.

06-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #54
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

K-mount lens with Takumar stop-down features
A better way to say this is it becomes a fully manual K mount lens. I achieve the same with M series lens by drilling another locating hole in the lens base about 7mm before the locating slot. When the M lens locks in there it hasn't quite fully mounted and then performs as a fully manual lens. I always have had indifferent results with the green button and this mod means it works effectively in AV.