Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 11:33 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can access the clip from the under/backside by hooking a finger through the lens opening
Well, this information is VERY useful. I wonder if one could reach underneath to free a third-party adapter?

Steve

(...not planning on testing that one... )

06-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #17
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The image posted by dcshooter immediately above appears to show an adapter identical to my stuck one.
Thanks tomeveryone for the information and advice. I plan to post a notice in this thread after I have either removed the adapter or sent the camera for corrective action.
06-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
The image posted by dcshooter immediately above appears to show an adapter identical to my stuck one.
Thanks tomeveryone for the information and advice. I plan to post a notice in this thread after I have either removed the adapter or sent the camera for corrective action.
Cool. So now we know the age of the adapter, and knowing it's genuine, we should be able to get the adapter off.
06-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Current B+H ones come in the green baggies, Made in Philippines.

I recently acquired an older one in the green baggie that was MIJ with no Asahi designation, and I also have a couple of older ones, which do have the Asahi designation on them, in the red, white, and black boxes.

Here's what the boxes look like:
I've also seen silver red and black boxes and another style.

Returning to the original subject at hand, I agree with what was said above that the adapter has probably been over over-rotated or which in my experience can happen with the original adapter, or it was put in in the wrong orientation. Patience and jiggling (with the spring pressed down) has always sufficed to loosen the adapter when I've run across these problems in the past.
I test two different genuine adapters on four different bodies. The way the tabs are spaced the adapter (or lens bayonet) will only fit in one way. The tabs would have to be modified in order to fit in some other way.

There is a physical stop on the camera mount near red alignment dot. A bayonet tab should not be able to pass this stop. The most I've been able to over rotate a lens or adapter (Minolta to K-mount) by holding down the lens release button is 3-5 degrees. The most I've been able to rotate one of the M42 adapters past the point where the clip engages is 1 or 2 degrees and only on a DSLR. All the film camera bodies I tried the adapters on have almost no play at all.

The bayonet tab near the red alignment dot on lenses or adapters is squared off to hit the stop. If this tab or the stop in the camera mount is out of spec, modified or damaged then it would be possible to over rotate to a greater degree.

06-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree with what was said above that the adapter has probably been over over-rotated or which in my experience can happen with the original adapter, or it was put in in the wrong orientation.
Based on the what I know of the genuine adapter,* a wrong orientation is possible (requires some jiggling) on a crippled mount camera (i.e. all Pentax dSLRs) as well as with some accessories (e.g. bellows and non-auto extension tubes). Normally the "follower tab" on non-crippled bodies serves to prevent such in that the second cut-out is intended to match the tab's location. Overrotation with a correctly inserted genuine adapter, OTOH, requires that either the mount or the adapter be badly damaged such that the square-cut leading tang edge (yes, that one) fails to engage the hard stop machined into the mount.

Steve

* Have two copies and several bodies and my Bellows K in front of me as I type

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-15-2016 at 11:23 AM.
06-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This thread is a great demonstration of why I love this forum.

Who knew that as well as the many non-OEM adapters available that there were numerous OEM variants with different markings and different boxes
and that there were pirate versions with OEM style markings??
06-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #22

As much as I tried I could not get a M42 adapter or lens into a K-mount in the wrong orientation. Two of the tabs/cutouts are closer together than either to the third. Think of the arms and legs of a capital letter "Y" or the points of an isosceles triangle. It is very difficult to get a fit at any other orientation unless the slots are wider or the tabs are narrower than they should be. Not impossible but difficult. A large amount of "fiddling" should be a warning sign that something is wrong.

I've not played with the mount on my Auto-Bellows A. Probably not worth the time but if I get bored enough I may.

FWIW the genuine adapters will not fit in my Vivitar macro focusing 2x TC (Ka mount with Ricoh pin). I don't remember if it won't fit at all or it won't rotate far enough to lock. I'll maybe look at it again when I get home.

Another oddity I found is a M39 to M42 adapter ring I got from Fotodiox will not thread into the Philippines made adapter but will thread into the Japan made adapters, Auto Bellows (M42) and Spotmatic bodies. Yet I have not had any problems mounting any of my screwmount lenses into the Philippines adapter.

06-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #23
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My attempts to use fingernails and small screwdriver heads while following gratefully received suggestions above have failed.

Below are images shot before counterclockwise movement of the adapter, part way through that counterclockwise movement, and after the counterclockwise movement.

I will be grateful for any diagnosis and suggestions.

Stu
Attached Images

06-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How did you manage to get the adapter in upside down? The Pentax should be at the top...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-16-2016 at 09:17 AM.
06-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Upsidedown adapter?!?

Ok, at this point...if it were me...since I have done this sort of thing before (not getting the adapter stuck, but taking the mount off)...would be to put some tape over the contacts (so that they stick to the contacts) and remove the mount carefully, so I could get at the back and get the adapter off that way.

I have no idea how that adapter *could* be put on that way, so no telling what is preventing things on the other side of the mount/adapter.

Lots of risk if you are not mechanically inclined here, as there are little springs and such that will want to get lost as soon as you lift the mount ring.
If you are mechanical, it's a pretty easy thing.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 06-16-2016 at 12:06 PM.
06-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How did you manage to get the adapter in upside down? The Pentax should be at the top...
It is possible. I was able to set my adapter in a similar orientation on the mount for my bellows; but stopped short of actually pushing it in, noting that there might be no easy means to remove it. (How and why is difficult to explain. It falls into the category of "don't try this at home".)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-16-2016 at 11:41 AM.
06-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My attempts to use fingernails and small screwdriver heads while following gratefully received suggestions above have failed.

Below are images shot before counterclockwise movement of the adapter, part way through that counterclockwise movement, and after the counterclockwise movement.

I will be grateful for any diagnosis and suggestions.

Stu
Below shows my adapter seated at what should be your release position. Good luck.

From bottom right (bottom of mount is at lower left)...notice that you can see a reflection of the red dot on the mount tang...

From the other direction (bottom of mount is at upper right) showing a good reference to the index mark...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-16-2016 at 01:16 PM.
06-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you have it in upside down, are you inserting the screwdriver in the correct slot? (the one on the lower right now) and should you rotate it clockwise instead of counter-clockwise? Aussies will understand.
06-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #29

Ok, it took a bit of fiddling but I was able to insert the adapter in the wrong way on my broken MZ-50. Here is what works for me to get it out.

You can't pull it straight out as you would normally. Twist the adapter so it is in the position of your second picture - with the end of cut-out just aligns with the edge of the screwdrive. Grab the ring with your finger and thumb over the PE in PENTAX (around 6 o'clock). Jiggle/rotate the adapter ever so slightly while lifting up only the end your are holding - as if you are peeling it off. It should come out.

The spacing on the tabs on the top are such that they won't fit through the openings. You have to slide the adapter in the towards or away from the top of the camera in order to get it in or out. Normally you can insert the adapter evenly and keep it level with the mount. The tab and opening around the 6 o'clock position when oriented this way are very close which makes it tricky to get them lined up.

I guess liking those puzzles with interlocked pieces of twisted metal has some practical value

Below are photos of the adapter on the way out (or in) on a MZ-50. Peel/lift it out in this manner.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-16-2016 at 02:22 PM.
06-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ok, it took a bit of fiddling but I was able to insert the adapter in the wrong way on my broken MZ-50. Here is what works for me to get it out.

You can't pull it straight out as you would normally. Twist the adapter so it is in the position of your second picture - with the end of cut-out just aligns with the edge of the screwdrive. Grab the ring with your finger and thumb over the PE in PENTAX (around 6 o'clock). Jiggle/rotate the adapter ever so slightly while lifting up only the end your are holding - as if you are peeling it off. It should come out.

The spacing on the tabs on the top are such that they won't fit through the openings. You have to slide the adapter in the towards or away from the top of the camera in order to get it in or out. Normally you can insert the adapter evenly and keep it level with the mount. The tab and opening around the 6 o'clock position when oriented this way are very close which makes it tricky to get them lined up.

I guess liking those puzzles with interlocked pieces of twisted metal has some practical value

Below are photos of the adapter on the way out (or in) on a MZ-50. Peel/lift it out in this manner.
Yes! I thought that is the way it would work. I also have a parts body, but did not want to risk my adapter doing proof of concept.

Steve