Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #31

Yes, there is some point in keeping broken equipment. I don't think it's worth spending the time or money to repair the camera.

Here are photos with the ring immediately after it was set into the mount. From this position it can be lifted out starting at "bottom". If you line up the cutouts relative to the red dot and screwdrive shaft you should be able to get the sucker out. The last photo shows how close the size is between the one tab and the cutout on the camera mount. They must be lined up almost exactly before the tab will pass through.

06-19-2016, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #32
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Success!
Thank you, everyone!
As someone stated in another thread on another topic, I cannot adequately convey by typing the extent of my gratitude and appreciation!
Best wishes to all.
Most respectfully,
Stu
06-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear! Kudos to all who contributed here - another example of what makes these forums so great.
06-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #34

Awesome! Now put it on the right way (if you dare) and have fun taking pictures.

You can try mounting it on the lens first and then line up the red dots and mount it as you would any k-mount lens. Just make sure you haven't damaged the clip in you earlier attempts to remove it.

06-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #35
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think I will buy a new adapter, as I am unsure how to safely determine the clip is undamaged.

Not A Number, thanks for your very detailed advice, which was most helpful in my eventually successful effort to remove the adapter.

Stu
06-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome!
06-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #37
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I think I will buy a new adapter, as I am unsure how to safely determine the clip is undamaged.

Not A Number, thanks for your very detailed advice, which was most helpful in my eventually successful effort to remove the adapter.

Stu
Take the clip off it and use it for a while without it. I think you will be surprised how unnecessary it is. If so, buy a bunch of cheap third party ones and remove the springs off them and attach them permanently to your various M42 lenses. In no time you will barely notice the difference between that and a standard K mount. Also if you don't require infinity then the noninfinity adapters are superior in all other respects.

06-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #38

The clip shouldn't be damaged unless you used a lot of force on it with the screwdriver. With the ring inserted incorrectly there is nothing for the clip to bind on that would damage it. You would have noticed this if you had to use a lot of force to rotate the ring.

If you buy a third party adapter you should remove the spring and screw.
06-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The clip shouldn't be damaged unless you used a lot of force on it with the screwdriver. With the ring inserted incorrectly there is nothing for the clip to bind on that would damage it. You would have noticed this if you had to use a lot of force to rotate the ring.

If you buy a third party adapter you should remove the spring and screw.
Since I own a genuine Chinese {aka third party} adapter, I just gotta ask:
"Why remove the spring and screw"/
"What harm is it causing me?"
"Will I lose any effectiveness by removing it?"

{thanks in advance for your advice}
06-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #40
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Since I own a genuine Chinese {aka third party} adapter, I just gotta ask:
"Why remove the spring and screw"/
"What harm is it causing me?"
"Will I lose any effectiveness by removing it?"

{thanks in advance for your advice}
I have heaps of them and always remove the spring. It means that the adapter stays on the lens rather than the camera. They are so cheap you can buy one for each of your lenses. And when I started I had a jam up (can't remember if it was a cheapo or not) Fixed the problem by snipping the adapter with a set of sturdy sidecutters and collapsing it. Never let a spring near my camera since.
Edit -- the only effectiveness you lose is the lens is not locked in place on the camera. This is a deal breaker for some people but I find it not an issue. When I go trekking my camera is in my hand over pretty rugged terrain for hours on end and I have never had a problem with it.

Last edited by GUB; 06-19-2016 at 07:31 PM.
06-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #41

There's no sense in spending the additional money to buy an OEM adapter if you are going to remove the spring. They reason you buy a genuine Pentax adapter is because the spring doesn't jam.
06-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #42
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If a person is using an OEM adapter from which the spring and screw were removed, and if the adapter is inserted by first attaching it to the lens, does the adapter automatically come out of the camera with the lens when the lens in removed (as a previous poster indicated is the case with a third-party adapher)?

Thanks very much.

Last edited by smf; 06-20-2016 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Simplify
06-20-2016, 03:45 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
does the adapter automatically come out of the camera with the lens when the lens in removed
Yes, it does. That's the point of removing the retaining spring.

There have been people who have (carefully) drilled a hole in the adapter to take the retaining plunger in the K mount, then put it on the lens with loctite. This basically gives them a stop-down K mount lens. I wouldn't try that without meticulous, precise marking of the adapter followed by the very careful use of a vise and drill press. Definitely one to try with a Chinese cheapie.
06-20-2016, 04:56 AM   #44
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yes, it does. That's the point of removing the retaining spring.

There have been people who have (carefully) drilled a hole in the adapter to take the retaining plunger in the K mount, then put it on the lens with loctite. This basically gives them a stop-down K mount lens. I wouldn't try that without meticulous, precise marking of the adapter followed by the very careful use of a vise and drill press. Definitely one to try with a Chinese cheapie.
Na na that hole is drilled in the lens base. It is outside the adapter. That is why the noninfinity adapter is better (if you don't require infinity) . The adapter has a larger flange and incorporates a locating hole.

---------- Post added 06-20-16 at 11:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There's no sense in spending the additional money to buy an OEM adapter if you are going to remove the spring. They reason you buy a genuine Pentax adapter is because the spring doesn't jam.
I think it is reasonable to say the pentax adapter has a smoother fit as well.
06-20-2016, 06:09 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Na na that hole is drilled in the lens base. It is outside the adapter. That is why the noninfinity adapter is better (if you don't require infinity)
Thanks for clearing that up (should have known, really, stupid me). However, not having infinity is a bit of a deal-breaker for me - except possibly for a macro lens. I'm sure someone with the appropriate skills could modify the helicoid to suit, but that person is not me. On the other hand, a lens that focuses PAST infinity would be ideal in this case (the question is whether it can reach far enough past in its native state to cover the loss).