Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Asahi Pentax adapter stuck in K-S2

I have used this adapter without problems in earlier Pentax cameras, allowing use of M42 screwmount lenses, but I have been unable to remove it from my K-S2.

If you have overcome this problem of a stuck Asahi Pentax adapter with either a K-S2 or another Pentax, please give me any details.

This isn't one of the "third party" adapters referenced in other threads, in which removal of some adapter parts is reccomended to prevent problems.

I hve removed the screwmount lens from the adaper, and I suspect I will need to send the camera to Precision for repair. It is still under both the basic warranty and extended warranty.

Thanks for any help.
Stu

06-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is a little tab that locks the adapter to the mount.
It's a little left of the "Pentax" if you are using a genuine adapter.
Press that tab, toward the threads -not down - and spin the adapter off.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 06-14-2016 at 04:19 PM.
06-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Has the adapter rotated too far in the mount?
06-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Last edited by LaurenOE; 06-14-2016 at 04:24 PM.
06-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
There is a little tab that locks the adapter to the mount.
It's a little left of the "Pentax" if you are using a genuine adapter.
Press that tab, toward the threads -not down - and spin the adapter off.

The OP has used the adapter with older Pentax cameras. I would assume they know how to remove it...
06-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Here is a video I created a few years ago that may help!
06-14-2016, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The OP has used the adapter with older Pentax cameras. I would assume they know how to remove it...
Sometimes folks think it's a "genuine" Pentax adapter, and it's not.
I've seen many knock-offs in my day.
I included the pics to show what a real-honest Pentax adapter looks like along with the packaging and instructions.

The post directly above me...is not a genuine Pentax adapter...and why he has a bit of a problem getting it on and off.
I know it's a knock off above...in that the lens also doesn't screw in to the exact position that a Pentax one does.

If the OP comes back and says "Hey..my adapter is different"...then it may not be a simple thing to get the adapter off.
Working the problem, step by step.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 06-14-2016 at 05:04 PM.
06-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Here is the piece from underneath. It is attached with a small screw.

Attached Images

06-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter

The real one - Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video
06-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Does the clip move at all? You may need a small screwdriver or ball point pen point to get it to move.
06-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Original Asahi Pentax adapter stuck in K-S2
Getting a genuine adapter stuck would be quite unusual, but not impossible.

The genuine adapter can be at a point where it is part-way off and will not continue. This may happen a few degrees counter-clockwise from the set position and again a few degrees shy of the release position. If this happens DO NOT force the adapter in an attempt to free it. Here are a few hints:
  • This is caused by the leading edge of the lock spring catching on things it normally would clear easily
  • The remedy is to make sure the spring is fully depressed throughout the full un-mount action. If your fingernail is too thick, a fine-blade screwdriver might be helpful.
  • The root cause is an adapter spring that is a little out of its normal shape and/or position
I have an adapter that does this on some (not all) of my K-mount bodies. In addition to being a tad cranky on un-mount, it is also difficult to "drop" into the opening unless already attached to a lens. How the spring got a little warped is not clear, though I suspect it may be related to a few old lenses that I own that have very stiff focus rings. The catch mechanism is not designed to resist significant force and I suspect the spring bows up and has become bent through years of use. I will look into this further.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-14-2016 at 06:41 PM.
06-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The real one
There are multiple versions (three or more) of the genuine adapter with different face engraving. I suppose it might make a good project to ask users to provide photos of their adapters for the PF accessories database. There are also two sets of instructions, one that says insert adapter into the camera first and the other that says attach to lens first. There are also a couple of different types of packaging. Before the green vinyl zip-closure bag they came in boxes. Oh, joy

Steve

(...I attach to lens first...much easier...)
06-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have genuine Chinese adapters ... but based on how they work, I have a question: can the lock spring bind against a member of the mount? If so, you might have to reverse twist the adapter a degree or two in order to free up the lock spring, and then depress it and twist forward.
06-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The marking on the genuine adapters I've seen are:
ASAHI PENTAX Japan
PENTAX Japan
PENTAX Philippines

The country of manufacture engraved about 180 from the Company Brand Name. Tops of letters of ASAHI and PENTAX towards the outside of the ring, country letters tops toward the center of the ring.

The first two could be found in boxes with various styles of printing on them. The PENTAX Philippines are in the pouches. The PENTAX Japan rings are also packaged in pouches.

Any others?

Playing with two different adapters on four different bodies I found:
  • The adapter only goes in one way
  • It can only be turned so far clockwise (installing) before it hits a hard stop
  • You can access the clip from the under/backside by hooking a finger through the lens opening

If the spring is damaged or deformed I suppose it could bind on something.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-14-2016 at 09:55 PM.
06-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are multiple versions (three or more) of the genuine adapter with different face engraving. I suppose it might make a good project to ask users to provide photos of their adapters for the PF accessories database. There are also two sets of instructions, one that says insert adapter into the camera first and the other that says attach to lens first. There are also a couple of different types of packaging. Before the green vinyl zip-closure bag they came in boxes. Oh, joy

Steve

(...I attach to lens first...much easier...)
Interesting.

While the adapter in my picture is a recent one, its exactly like back in the 80's when I was in Japan, and the adapter I bought then.
It's identical both in how it's made and the green ziplock bag I've shown.

I bought a bunch of these a while back, so maybe I bought NOS?

I think the boxed ones pre-date the 1980's and the green sleeves since at least 1984 when I was in Japan?
The Philippine ones...are probably the ones made today?

I'd love to know what comes from B&H these days and if there were other genuine Pentax ones that are different.