Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

K-3 vs. K-3ii... camera decisions

Hello all,

Browsing through the lovely B&H website, I stumbled across what seems to be an amazing deal.
A K-3 body, bundled with batter grip and AF200 flash, all for $750.That being said, would it be
worth it to save a little more money up and buy the Mark ii since I'm already spending that much?
There is also the new K-70 to be considered, as it seems to be offering similar resolution, with less
AF points and probably more than a few other downgrades that I am unaware of, but only at $650
for the body only. I do plan on shooting some sports, but most of my shots will be of rock climbers,
which move relatively slower and have much more predictable motions. I plan on pairing whichever
body I get with the 16-85mm, as I hear it is extremely sharp.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

Arden

06-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
Hi Arden. The K-3 will not support the new type of lens that Ricoh/Pentax have developed, whereas the K-3 II will get a firmware update soon. Also the K-3 II has pixel shift that you might not want now, but maybe later on. The new K-70 has " similar " specs to the K-3 II, but is not the top of the range model. A tough choice, but both are very good bodies. Good luck with whichever choice you make.
06-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Dual card slots of the K3 series shouldn't be ignored if you can't afford to risk losing shots to a card failure. You can even do multiple backups in the field or (if you so wish) with extra cards. I use the o-gps on my K-3 - nice to be able to locate outdoor shots. I think the built in gps of the K3ii would make for a much better handling experience. Only compromise would be the need to carry a small flash for occasional fill. Which you would need to do anyway, as the pop up flashes don't cover the wide angle of the 16-85 without a lens shadow.

Nobody really knows anything about the K-70 yet.
06-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your needs it sounds like the K-3 will work just fine. That father's day bundle deal is pretty good, so I'd go for it!

The K-70 is the new WR entry level model. There will soon be a new flagship body replacing the K-3/K-3 II, but it will likely be more expensive for a while.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-15-2016, 01:46 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by arden_clark Quote
Hello all,

Browsing through the lovely B&H website, I stumbled across what seems to be an amazing deal.
A K-3 body, bundled with batter grip and AF200 flash, all for $750.That being said, would it be
worth it to save a little more money up and buy the Mark ii since I'm already spending that much?
There is also the new K-70 to be considered, as it seems to be offering similar resolution, with less
AF points and probably more than a few other downgrades that I am unaware of, but only at $650
for the body only. I do plan on shooting some sports, but most of my shots will be of rock climbers,
which move relatively slower and have much more predictable motions. I plan on pairing whichever
body I get with the 16-85mm, as I hear it is extremely sharp.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

Arden
I agree that the K-70 complicates things & the K-3 being at a lower price complicates it even more, I think the K-70 lacks in certain things comparatively but provides a complete package as far as availability of features is concerned. You can ignore those features which you don't need. say the articulating screen, wifi, and faster hybrid live view/video AF, lighter body. In this case you can choose the K-3 or K-3 II.
06-15-2016, 04:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

If onboard flash is a thing you use a lot, you don't want the K-3ii over the K-3 unless you're happy to buy a flash separately.

With the exception of compatibility for this new mount, the K-70 seems to bear the same relation to the K-3 as the K-30 or K-50 did to the K-5.

The advantage of the K-70 is that it is a brand new model; the K-3 is close to being discontinued if it isn't there already. The advantage of the K-3 is that it's a mature design, with all the wrinkles and firmware 1.0 issues already sorted out; early adopters of the K-70 get to find out all the little quirks for themselves. The downscaling of some of the features introduces a complication - if this were nothing more than the K-3 with wireless tethering, a new skin and a flip screen, the answer would be K-70 without a doubt - but it is not quite that easy, and I don't envy you.

I am at the stage right now where if I'm using flash at all, it's often an external one - given the choice between the K-3 or the K-3ii, I would until late last year have gone with the latter. But things have changed, and I'm planning a bigger upgrade (K-1).

Consider what each camera offers versus what you need it to do. Pick the one that suits your purposes best.
06-15-2016, 04:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If you want to shoot action/sports, get the K-3 II. Otherwise, the K-70 should do very nicely. The main difference (to me) is the AF system and the buffer size. But you do miss out on the flash and the flip-out screen with the K-3 II.
06-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I got the K5IIs with the AF200 flash thrown in. That flash is in my camera bag all the time, is light and small and I use it more than I would the built in flash.

06-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
If you want to shoot action/sports, get the K-3 II. Otherwise, the K-70 should do very nicely. The main difference (to me) is the AF system and the buffer size. But you do miss out on the flash and the flip-out screen with the K-3 II.
& inbuilt wifi and faster live view AF & video with hybrid af
06-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
The K-3 will not support the new type of lens that Ricoh/Pentax have developed

I'm curious about the K-3 not supporting new lenses???? I had not heard this before, I must have missed the memo. Does this include the current lineup of new D FA lenses?
06-15-2016, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I'm curious about the K-3 not supporting new lenses???? I had not heard this before, I must have missed the memo. Does this include the current lineup of new D FA lenses?
This is the only one it does not support so far: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-15-2016, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #12
pjv
Eager To Learn

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote

No. The new 55-300 has a different motor that is not supported by the K-3 or previous bodies. There is a rundown on it in the forums.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f45-6...announced.html
06-16-2016, 01:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I believe I was heavenly guided when I bought my k-3II last September. I wanted a brand new K-5IIs unfortunately, there were no more brand new units where I get them. I skipped the k-3 due to the mirror flap issue. Service here in my country is awful so I try to avoid camera trouble as much as possible. I had no choice but to buy a k-3II so, I asked the seller to get me a k-3II with a serial number above the ones with the GPS problem. A lot in this forum have commented that the k-3II isn't much of an upgrade which to me at times, would make me think if I made the right decision. After all I like the images of my k-5II compared to my k-3II. That's why I was aching for a k-5IIs. Now, I believe I'm blessed with my decision and I'm beginning to understand my k-3II better.