Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Underwater photos - how?

I need to take a few underwater photos and I was wondering if anyone had any quick tips for protecting the camera/lens? It is not deep, just a foot or two under the surface. I could possibly get by without actually submerging the body and only poking the lens below the surface. For this, I was thinking I could just stretch some plastic wrap over the end of the lens?

Anyone got any ideas or tips?

07-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moasat Quote
I need to take a few underwater photos and I was wondering if anyone had any quick tips for protecting the camera/lens? It is not deep, just a foot or two under the surface. I could possibly get by without actually submerging the body and only poking the lens below the surface. For this, I was thinking I could just stretch some plastic wrap over the end of the lens?

Any underwater housing for Pentax DSLRs?

I don't think even the DA* lenses can be immersed under water. They are just splash proof, I think.

Or, its time to get a W60 instead? ;-)
07-17-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moasat Quote

either buy an underwater casing for your camera or one of those water proof point and shotos.

you CAN just stick the lens in the water, but there will be a chance of it shorting out if its heavily laden with electronics or HSM motors
07-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are those plastic soft housing for SLR, which work to 15 ft under water. DicaPac, ewa-marine are some of the marker

07-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all. As this is most likely a one-time event, I was looking to spend little-to-no money on a solution. I have a K20D and I certainly don't want to risk taking that underwater just yet. (Although I've read here that it's safe to send up into space!)

I was hoping that there would be something to just protect the lens so I could poke it just under the surface of the water. Maybe something someone did or used in the past that worked out for them.
07-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Shoot Nikon or Canon.

That's about all there is to underwater photography, untils SOMEONE STARTS BLOODY WELL MAKING AN UNDERWATER HOUSING FOR PENTAX THAT DOESN'T COST SIX GRAND AND COME FROM A WEBSITE WRITTEN SOLELY IN DEUTSCHE, YOU HEAR ME OUT THERE, MANUFACTURERS?

Hell, even the 4/3 coalition have more housings for them now than were ever made for any Pentax.

Those waterproof bags do not work down to 15 feet.

They are indeed probably waterproof to 15 feet, but at that depth there's about 3 metric tons acting on the bag, the camera, and, importantly, the buttons on the camera.