Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #1

K20 & shooting in HDR

Greetings to all

Need help on how to set up my K20 to shoot in HDR. I have read that I can set up my camera to automatically shoot 3 frames and then it will combine all three into one image.

07-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #2

You have a button on the upper left corner of the camera. When you press the button you'll se (in the viewfinder - on the left) the word "off". If you turn the front dial, it will change the number of steps (3 or 5), and if you turn the rear dial, it will change the size of the each step (2 EV max). After you set your bracketing, it will take the whole sequence with only one press of shutter release (use tripod).

However, the camera itself will not combine images in one HDR. This is very calculating intensive operation and requires a lot of processing power and memory (especially when you are dealing with 14.6 Mp files, he, he), so it has to be done on a computer.

Good luck, post your results, I would like to exchange experiences, 'cause HDR is my main interest too at the moment.
07-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by gamgee Quote
After you set your bracketing, it will take the whole sequence with only one press of shutter release (use tripod).
Provided you have set Custom Setting function #8 (One-push bracketing) to On (default factory setting is Off)
07-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. Now I know how to do it.

07-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It won't combine all three pictures by itself. On the K20D, there is a "filter" that "simulates" HDR, but it is not HDR. For true HDR, you need to combine the images yourself using HDR software. Use a good tripod when you take your 3 or 5 pictures to avoid registration problems. Good luck!
07-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
It won't combine all three pictures by itself. On the K20D, there is a "filter" that "simulates" HDR, but it is not HDR. For true HDR, you need to combine the images yourself using HDR software. Use a good tripod when you take your 3 or 5 pictures to avoid registration problems. Good luck!

would u pls help to make a sample on these two approaches and show the differences?
Thx in advance.