Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What would be an inexpensive upgrade from a K10D. I want video capability

I bought a used K10D off of eBay a couple of years ago and it has been a wonderful camera, but I'd like to sell it in favor of a model with video capabilities. Can any knowledgeable person(s) give me suggestions? I am on a budget and would be looking for something used on eBay again. What would be my cheapest option to get comparable features to the K10D plus video? Thank you.

06-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinh Quote
I bought a used K10D off of eBay a couple of years ago and it has been a wonderful camera, but I'd like to sell it in favor of a model with video capabilities. Can any knowledgeable person(s) give me suggestions? I am on a budget and would be looking for something used on eBay again. What would be my cheapest option to get comparable features to the K10D plus video? Thank you.
Anything these days will greatly outperform the K10D and have just about all of its features. You might be able to still find a new K-50 for around $299. Otherwise I'd recommend getting a used K-5 ($250-300) or K-3 ($400-500), as those have the same solid build quality as the K10D. The K-5 doesn't give you manual exposure for video, so you might want to go for the K-3 if you decide against the K-50.

K-50 red (other colors are sold out):
Pentax K-50 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Red) 10974 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I went from the Samsung version of the K10D to the K-5. Both are fine cameras. The K-5 upped performance in several areas. The sensor is top notch. I can't help with video. I seldom use it.
06-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're not worried about video then the K5 is a great camera and can be picked up fairly cheaply these days.

06-16-2016, 12:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd look at the K-5II or K-5IIs

If you're looking at the K-5, I'd recommend the K-5II or K-5IIs. The autofocus in the K-5II/s is much more accurate than the K-5 overall, and especially in low light and tungsten light.

The K-5 and K-5II/s also give you the ability to use the camera's in-built SR during video recording - a very useful feature that has been removed from all subsequent K-series cameras up to and including the brand new K-1. The downside is you may pick up SR audio noise during recording if you use the camera's in-built mic. But use an external mic instead - the K-5/II/IIs series has a external mic socket.

Last edited by Gray; 06-16-2016 at 12:19 AM.
06-16-2016, 12:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

$300 for a new K-50 is quite a deal.
06-16-2016, 01:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinh Quote
What requirement do you have on video?
Video on DSLRs are not the easiest to handle, and Pentax DSLRs are lacking in in many ways in this area.

If you want a video camera that is easy to handle and give nice result without effort, then you are probably better off with a separate video cameras designed for video.
If you are willing to invest a lot of time and effort in video, then a DSLR can give you great result.
06-16-2016, 03:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If simpler handling and feature sets are ok for you, also consider K-30 and K-S1 for video.