Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #1

Unique *istDL problem

Well, I have a problem that most folks on here might not understand completely in depth, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to lend some insight. I use my camera (*istDL) for freefall skydiving photography. It's mounted to my helmet using a quick release and there is a tongue switch plugged into the remote shutter release port which I use to fire the camera. I have used the camera for ~200-250 skydives, which amounts to about 3000-5000 shots, plus (an estimation) about 500-600 on the ground. During this time, the camera has given me no problems whatsoever, and it's given me some great pictures. A few days ago, I got to the ground and discovered that it had taken no pictures in freefall. It took them in the plane, and worked find on the ground, but none in freefall. I figured that I must have forgotten to turn it on, and brushed it off. It hapened twice the next day, and on the second time, it wouldn't fire (with the tongue switch or the standard shutter release) at all until I turned the camera off and on again. I changed the batteries and the SD card, and it worked on the next jump, although it shot at 125 shutter speed, and I'm quite sure I set it at 500, but I guess I could be wrong. I haven't had a chance to jump it again, so these are the facts I'm working with for now. Does anyone have any ideas? Has your camera done something similar on the ground? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sean LR

07-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I am just guessing here so do not scream at me if you already tried those things:

Are you sure that the remote release is good? Maybe the camera is fine but the accessories are failing?

Are the settings used during freefall remain unchanged when camera is used before on plane and later on the ground?

Another thing that comes to my mind is that you are moving so fast (during freefall) that camera's AF cannot focus and that's why it is not firing. Try MF or AF-C instead of AF-S.
07-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
I thought about the release, I'm going to try it out in more depth this weekend (skydiving is a weekend only thing around here), but it leads me to believe that it's not the problem becuase of when it wouldn't fire, but would as soon as the cam was turned off and on again, with no change in position of the switch. The settings were unchanged, I use the flash in the plane, but I close it right before the door opens. I also alredy shoot in MF due to the reason you stated. Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming folks.
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmm? Tough one.

Did it ever happened on the ground that camera wasn't firing? I still think it is most likely an accessory because otherwise you will notice camera behaving strange on the ground also. I guess without second body to try it out it might be hard to diagnose.

07-18-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by freeflyr Quote
Well, I have a problem that most folks on here might not understand completely in depth, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to lend some insight. I use my camera (*istDL) for freefall skydiving photography. It's mounted to my helmet using a quick release and there is a tongue switch plugged into the remote shutter release port which I use to fire the camera. I have used the camera for ~200-250 skydives, which amounts to about 3000-5000 shots, plus (an estimation) about 500-600 on the ground. During this time, the camera has given me no problems whatsoever, and it's given me some great pictures. A few days ago, I got to the ground and discovered that it had taken no pictures in freefall. It took them in the plane, and worked find on the ground, but none in freefall. I figured that I must have forgotten to turn it on, and brushed it off. It hapened twice the next day, and on the second time, it wouldn't fire (with the tongue switch or the standard shutter release) at all until I turned the camera off and on again. I changed the batteries and the SD card, and it worked on the next jump, although it shot at 125 shutter speed, and I'm quite sure I set it at 500, but I guess I could be wrong. I haven't had a chance to jump it again, so these are the facts I'm working with for now. Does anyone have any ideas? Has your camera done something similar on the ground? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sean LR
If you set the camera to AF , your camera would not fire up as while you were falling, the camera kept trying to focus. And if it cannot focus because of the motion, it just would not fire. When you were not airborne, your camera has no problem focusing and thus it would fire up.

The only setting I would suggest is MF with a short FL lens like 16-20mm and prefocus . Only in that way will it fire non stop.

See if that helps

Daniel
07-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hmm, I do know someone with the same body, but she's not out that often. I don't use the camera often enough on the ground to tell if it's being weird though. I'm really curious to see what it does this weekend.

Also, as I stated in the previous post, I'm already using MF, and I'm using either the kit lens @ 24mm or the DA 10-17 @ 14mm, thanks though.
07-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
WJW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freeflyr Quote
Hmm, I do know someone with the same body, but she's not out that often. I don't use the camera often enough on the ground to tell if it's being weird though. I'm really curious to see what it does this weekend.

Also, as I stated in the previous post, I'm already using MF, and I'm using either the kit lens @ 24mm or the DA 10-17 @ 14mm, thanks though.
I have a DS and I have noticed that when I'm shooting RAWS and go too fast, especially on very hot days (90F+) and in the sun, I can get card errors which are only cured by turning the camera off and back on. Once I had to actually delete the last photo taken to get things working correctly. Now, I'm not sure if the temperature is really a factor or I just tend to rush things in my haste to finish and get to a cooler spot, but I have had the problem on a few different occasions.
07-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hmm, interesting. I'll be sure to let you all know what happened after the weekend.

07-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #9

Original Poster
Well, I did 6-7 jumps with the camera this weekend, all went off without a hitch. I didn't have the opportunity to take up the card that was in the camera when it gave me problems, my working theory is batteries or the card. Thanks for everyone's input.