Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
Forum Member

I'd go DS2 or GX-1S

I was looking into this, and I'd choose the DS2 or the Samsung GX-1S (which is identical AFAIK).

That's the latest DS that still has pentaprism and TTL flash, but you also get a big screen. not sure if it's still as tiny as DL but i think so.
Mark

07-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still use my ist DS as a backup camera. To be truthful, it is a better low light camera than my K10D. It uses SD cards and with the latest firmware upgrade it is SDHC compatible. The pentaprism viewfinder is wonderful. The cons are small back screen, small and slow buffer, some frequently used features are menu driven (like changing metering modes).

NaCl(it makes a nice "club" camera)H2O
07-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #18
Forum Member

Why not just go for a K100D? I just picked one up for 300, don't think you'll find much cheaper.
07-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Avantphoto Quote
Why not just go for a K100D? I just picked one up for 300, don't think you'll find much cheaper.
Not too much about cost (but cheaper IS better for my 2nd body) but a lot to do with size/weight.

It was said the DL is the lighets/smallest among all DSLR from Pentax... (yes, I want Pentx mount to use my current lenses) but maybe the difference between the DL and the K100D is minimal.. I dont know.. worth checking the specs!

07-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
I am looking for an older model inexpensive used Pentax DSLR to keep some older Manual Focus primes on it. Just to keep as a secondary camera. Resolution not important, would prefer more light sensitivity than #of pixels, weather sealing not important, shake reduction not necessary. Just decent IQ (for this purpose, accurate, maybe slightly saturated colors) good metering. Will be using manual focus, manual exposure with this. Kinda looking for a digital MX, loaded with Fuji Velvia.....

thanks in advance!

Also size -weight on the smaller-lighter side would be a quality I want to add to this.

Brian,

When I dealt with this same need about a year ago, I initially decided to buy the *ist D, mainly because it has two e-dials, like the K10D that was my other camera at the time. I placed my order through a third-party vendor affiliated with Amazon.com, and what I got in the mail was an *ist DS. This was my mistake, not his. I got confused about the model names.

Anyway, before returning the camera for a refund, I looked further into the differences between the *ist DS and the *ist D, and in the end I decided to keep the DS. Main reasons:

- DS has a bigger LCD, much higher-res LCD
- DS uses SD cards
- DS has better built-in flash

You can see a side-by-side comparison here at dpreviews:

Pentax *ist DS Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I've been happy with the *ist DS and it has taken some nice photos. However I have three observations.

1. In retrospect, I wish that I'd gotten the D after all, mainly because of the two e-dials. Ergonomics matters a lot more (to me anyway) than storage card format. I now have a K10D and a K20D. I'm so used to having both e-dials that using the *ist DS is kind of awkward - like picking up a point and shoot or something. Not huge, but definitely something I am aware of.

2. I was in the market for a backup camera because, when I purchased the K10D, I sold my K100D to offset the outlay. Don't remember if I got even $500 for the K100D when I sold it, and I paid about $300 for the *ist DS. In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd found a way to keep the K100D mainly or the shake reduction, well, and the fact that it's a newer model. NOTE: Shake reduction matters less at shorter focal lengths, and that's all I use the *ist DS for, so the lack of shake reduction isn't a big deal.

3. So I kept the *ist DS as backup to the K10D - and then early this year I bought the K20D, too, and kept both of the other cameras. So the K10D is now the backup to the K20D. This is the best possible arrangement: Having two cameras that work more or less identically. I think you might be able to find a used K10D now for not that much more than the cost of a used *ist DS. Might be a couple hundred dollars more, but if you could manage the difference in price, it would absolutely be worth it. I think even a K100D would now be a better choice than an *ist Dx. But having two cameras that work the same way - that is, that both work as beautifully as the K10D - really is nice.

Which brings me back to point #1 above.

Will

P.S. I might add that just about everything I say above was said to me here in this forum before I bought the *ist DS, when I was doing my pre-purchase "research" as you are.
07-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #21

I'm selling a K100D, for 350 Euro, with a kit lens, and the box and a new Lowe Pro case. I've tried it with old manual lenses and it works very well, I've used an old Pentax prime to good advantage and some little lenses from a Cosina CT1, it handles them all nicely.

If I had a full Pentax system I'd keep it but I'm a Nikon user at this stage.

I would happily swap it for a good condition Fuji S3 though.......

Last edited by Tipptoggy; 07-21-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
07-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Hi,
Leigh here. I just joined the forum this morning and don't know much at all about posting so please forgive me if I don't do this right. I have just listed some like new out of the box gear that I'm forced to sell due to failing financial considerations. You could check in Pentax Camera accessories section. Pentax K10D Kit w/verticle grip spare battery 18-55mm SMC DA lens, AF500Z auto zoom swivel Flash,Pentax 50-200mm SMC DA lens. Email cash4xl@yahoo.com & call 928.231.9294 cell Thanks & God Bless

07-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

I wanted to thank everyone for their input on this... I knew nothing about the older *ist series, so this helped a lot. I'll be keeping this 2nd camera with a few older MF primes at my out of town office, so it'll be there when I am there, (work gets a little boring there sometimes) without worrying too much about theft or loss, and without worrying about lugging my K20D system and all the lenses with me all the time.

Thanks again!
07-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #24

I have the DS & K10d-wouldn't give up the DS for any reason. Uses SD cards up to 2 gig.
Great camera
07-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I too consider the ergonomics and 'feel' of the camera to be more important than having to carry two types of cards. The ONLY camera I would use to backup my two K10D bodies is the istD. It may have been the first, but it was also the high-end model, and the presence of the front and rear dials is very important to me. While later ist-series cameras improved on certain things like bigger LCD screens, the picture quality of the istD was never improved upon until the K10D came out. Plus, the istD had some higher-level features that were dropped by subsequent ist cameras. (Some people would even argue that the TTL flash metering in the istD is better than EVERY subsequent camera, ist OR K series.)

For people who know their Pentax bodies, the istD is still sought after as a good used camera.
07-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I saw someone with a *istD(something) and it had a silver top and black bottom, and it looked kinda cool, reminded me of my old MX.

QuoteOriginally posted by dmjjr Quote
I have the DS & K10d-wouldn't give up the DS for any reason. Uses SD cards up to 2 gig.
Great camera
Thanks! This and the D are the two I'm considering.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chickenhawk Quote
I too consider the ergonomics and 'feel' of the camera to be more important than having to carry two types of cards. The ONLY camera I would use to backup my two K10D bodies is the istD. It may have been the first, but it was also the high-end model, and the presence of the front and rear dials is very important to me. While later ist-series cameras improved on certain things like bigger LCD screens, the picture quality of the istD was never improved upon until the K10D came out. Plus, the istD had some higher-level features that were dropped by subsequent ist cameras. (Some people would even argue that the TTL flash metering in the istD is better than EVERY subsequent camera, ist OR K series.)

For people who know their Pentax bodies, the istD is still sought after as a good used camera.
Good insight on this model, great info, I appreciate it!!

Good point, I still have some CF's left over from my Canon days to find use for.
07-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chickenhawk Quote

i have to agree 100% on this.

While the CD cards leave you with 2 memory formats, as a back up, similar controls, the TTL flash which performs perfectly even with older K mount lenses and the most accurate metering I have seen in a pentax body (again even with older lenses) make this a keeper. High ISO also is an added benefit, and my view point is that if you are not a pro, and want the best back up camera, it should not be just a second body identical to the first. it should be capable of doing something different, and the points I have listed make the *istD a valuable addition to my system, not just a back up.

The same was true of film, I had 2 manual focus bodies, a XR-2s with a split image finder, and for slow long tele's where the split image darkened, I had a KX with ground glass. The KX also had identical controls and viewfinder (except for split image of course) to the XR-2S and one additional benefit, specifically the shutter was completely mechanically timed. Batteries NOT required That was a big advantage as a back up. you couold use the sunny 16 rule, guess at the metering and get a shot without batteries. Something that is just plain impossible today.
07-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i have to agree 100% on this.

While the CD cards leave you with 2 memory formats, as a back up, similar controls, the TTL flash which performs perfectly even with older K mount lenses and the most accurate metering I have seen in a pentax body (again even with older lenses) make this a keeper. High ISO also is an added benefit, and my view point is that if you are not a pro, and want the best back up camera, it should not be just a second body identical to the first. it should be capable of doing something different, and the points I have listed make the *istD a valuable addition to my system, not just a back up....
Terrific! Exactly the info I was fishing for.

My reasoning in getting a *istD series camera, was to have a little something different to match up with some of my manual focus lenses, as opposed to just getting a 2nd K20D. I've seen, especially on the PPG pages, some really excellent images made with this series of camera. I was thinking that getting something other than a 14MP sensor and something other than CMOS, would just avail me to something perhaps just a bit different to play around with. "Play" and have fun with it a key motive for this camera...

I feel like I missed out when I upgraded my Canon D30 to get a Canon 10D, instead of switching back to Pentax when this camera came out. I had all those mint M series lenses sitting in their boxes and I almost but didn't. (everyone was telling me Pentax wasn't ready yet and was too late in the game, but now I realize that wasn't quite accurate)
07-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Terrific! Exactly the info I was fishing for.

My reasoning in getting a *istD series camera, was to have a little something different to match up with some of my manual focus lenses, as opposed to just getting a 2nd K20D. I've seen, especially on the PPG pages, some really excellent images made with this series of camera. I was thinking that getting something other than a 14MP sensor and something other than CMOS, would just avail me to something perhaps just a bit different to play around with. "Play" and have fun with it a key motive for this camera...

I feel like I missed out when I upgraded my Canon D30 to get a Canon 10D, instead of switching back to Pentax when this camera came out. I had all those mint M series lenses sitting in their boxes and I almost but didn't. (everyone was telling me Pentax wasn't ready yet and was too late in the game, but now I realize that wasn't quite accurate)
just to give you an idea what to expect lets look at what the oldest pentax DSLR can do with a 1991 vintage flash, a late 1980's vintage 1.7X tele converter and a 1977 vintage 300 mm Lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106132-post4.html

This is probably one of the best bird photo's I have ever taken, cropped about 10% at most.
07-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #30
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the "focus" on the istD series interesting. I am surprised that more discussion did not occur on the K100D as a serious option.