Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Looking for older-model Pentax DSLR as a cheap 2nd

I have the K20D (my first jump into the Pentax DSLR line) So I am unfamiliar with previous models. Like the *ist. And not familiar with the different *ist DS etc.. designations

I am looking for an older model inexpensive used Pentax DSLR to keep some older Manual Focus primes on it. Just to keep as a secondary camera. Resolution not important, would prefer more light sensitivity than #of pixels, weather sealing not important, shake reduction not necessary. Just decent IQ (for this purpose, accurate, maybe slightly saturated colors) good metering. Will be using manual focus, manual exposure with this. Kinda looking for a digital MX, loaded with Fuji Velvia.....

thanks in advance!

Also size -weight on the smaller-lighter side would be a quality I want to add to this.

07-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

istX cameras are all 6 megapixels.

istD was the top of the line istX camera (support for TTL flash, uses CF cards)
istDS was simpler model but still with pentaprism and TTL support (has green modes and one scroll wheel)
istDL was similar to DS but had pentamirror and P-TTL support only (also has green modes and one scroll wheel)

I think you can get pretty good IQ from any of the ist cameras with istD having more professional look/feel/controls. They all can be purchased used for about $300 +/-50 depending on condition and model. I have upgraded to K10D but I still have my istDL (I am going to sell it once I find the box). For me istDL was a great camera. Very (again very) light and small. With pancake lens or even standard 50mm you wouldn't even notice it strapped around your neck. I still complain about the weight of K10D but they are different cameras so I should probably just shut up.

They all have average AF and low light performance but with prime lenses f/1.7, AF should perform better than with consumer f/5.6 lenses.

Check dpreview.com web site where you can compare all istX models side by side.
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the quickie Drabina!

I cant think about this right now (LBA itching!) but I intend to buy a 2o Pentax Digital body as a beater in the future.

Two quickie questions:

1. All of them use SD cards but the istD or all istD variants use CF? I want to be able to share my SDHC colletions that I've bought to my K10D.

2. Is the istD line up all same size? (is istD=istDS=istDL size wise or not?) If not, which is the smallest?

07-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Check dpreview.com web site where you can compare all istX models side by side.

They dont list the ist models for comparisson...

07-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
might have to open several windows and go back and forth (what I'm doing anyway)

Pentax *ist DS2 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

Pentax *ist DL digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

Pentax *ist DL2 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

Pentax *ist DS digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

Pentax *ist D digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Select the radio button "Show All cameras" and you will have ist models on the list :-)
07-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. All of them use SD cards but the istD or all istD variants use CF? I want to be able to share my SDHC colletions that I've bought to my K10D.
If you want to use SDHC, you will need either a K100D Super, or a K100D with the software upgraded.

07-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

istD uses CF cards. istDL and istDS use SD card (also the istDx2 models). You can get CF to SD card adapter if you want to use your existing cards with istD. I know that with firmware update my istDL became SDHC compatible but I am not sure about other models.

2. Is the istD line up all same size? (is istD=istDS=istDL size wise or not?) If not, which is the smallest?
The istDL was the smallest and lightest. If you compare them on dpreview.com site you will see that istD was about 100grams heavier than istDL.
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
If you want to use SDHC, you will need either a K100D Super, or a K100D with the software upgraded.
My istDL was SDHC compatible (with latest firmware). Not sure if there was a capacity limit though. I think I can pop my 8GB SDHC card into my istDL and check it out (but later when I come back from work).
07-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks again Drabina,

It seems like the istDL is the lightest and it very lkely supports SDHC. Thats the winner!

I have the Sandisk III 8GB card, if you could just test at your convenience if the DL accepts your 8GB SDHC i'd appreciate!

Thanks in advance,

BB
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

might want to wait till Photokina to see if Pentax will release a K2000D.
07-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
might want to wait till Photokina to see if Pentax will release a K2000D.
They will and it will have some pretty neat stuff in a very affordable package. Its first mission will be to lure first time dslr users to Pentax camp but it will also make an excelent second body especially with a small Limited lens.

Radu
07-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I believe any *ist which uses SD can use SDHC with a firmware update. Obviously, the *ist D is CF and won't accept any SD cards at all.

I would choose the DS series since you'd otherwise lose the 11-point AF. You can also use TTL flash (hot-shoe only) which would be useful if you're using mostly manual lenses with it.
07-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I will test the card tomorrow morning as I have to charge some batteries.

istDL is the lightest and has 2.5" LCD screen. istDS has smaller 2" screen but pentaprism and TTL support are nice. I have used istDL with older thyristor flash and it worked fine in manual mode. As to the AF (3 points on istDL or 11 points on istDS) I was advised here on this forum that it is better to use single (center) AF point instead of 3 or 11. That's supposed to improve autofocus because Pentax does not shine here anyway.
07-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I will test the SDHC compatibility on Monday because I took a day off today and my camera is in my office.