Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Noise Reduction - K10D

Hi

I have a couple of rookie questions.

How long does an exposure have to be before the Noise Exposure kicks in on the K10D?
What circumstances would be good to switch it off?

I'm going to be doing some night photography and wondered what effect it would have in switching it off. Last time I did some on long exposures it took a while before the NR finished.

Thanks, Paul

07-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paolo g Quote
Hi

I have a couple of rookie questions.

How long does an exposure have to be before the Noise Exposure kicks in on the K10D?
What circumstances would be good to switch it off?

I'm going to be doing some night photography and wondered what effect it would have in switching it off. Last time I did some on long exposures it took a while before the NR finished.

Thanks, Paul
I have not been using noise reduction in camera at all to avoid the recording delay from the dark image. I am operating under the assumption that I can use software in post processing to eliminate the noise if I have to.
07-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #3

When noise reduction is turned on, any shots will cause K10D to perform the noise reduction step. The time it take to do noise reduction is equal to time of the exposure, so basically exposure time x2 for the time of a shot. A couple of situations I can think of when you want to turn nosie reduction off, one is when trying to take picture of firework, as the exposure time is in the seconds, you don't want to wait any time to be ready for the next shot. Two is when you want to use post processing to do your only nosie reduction. I have not had the needs to turn off nosie reduction myself yet.
07-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On long exposures, it will take about twice as long as what the exposure is. I just did this last week, but can't remember for sure, but it is somewhere between 3 and 10 seconds.

07-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
The Dark Frame NR kicks in on anything longer than a second. It doubles the actual time taken to process the shot before the camera is ready to shoot again.

You can switch it off and do a few trials to see if you can see a difference in your shots. The main purpose is to map hot pixels and cancel them out on your shots.

It is difficult to apply a hot pixel NR process in post processing but the software called Qimage allows you to capture a blank shot and use this as a dark frame subtraction process on your images in the Jpeg mode.

Another method to reduce noise is to use the double exposure function and take the same shot at least 3 times. The random noise tends to cancel itself and reduces the visible noise in your final shot but I have noticed that edges become a little softer. Also, this method does not save any time at all but is useful in bright light conditions where your short exposures will not be an issue.

This method is useful for high ISO shots where the result will be a bit grainy.

Have fun!