Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With regard to quality, I suspect that the cards themselves are going to be of quality similar at a micro or standard size. In other words, for a given brand and line, I would expect similar performance. A high quality micro card should be better or more reliable than a cheap standard card. Of course, the need for an adapter just adds to another level of need in terms of quality. But it seems that many micro-sd cards come with adapters, and I would hope that if one is buying a good one, the adapter would be good, too.

I am kind of surprised that cameras haven't started coming with the smaller cards. I've not seen where there is a huge difference in the capacity of the larger cards vs. the smaller ones unless the size is specifically an advantage to being less likely to lose the bigger ones.

06-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #17
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
advantage to a regular SD card over a Micro SD
Maybe not performance wise differences, but for folk like me with big hands, these micro chaps are just too wee.
06-21-2016, 12:43 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Maybe not performance wise differences, but for folk like me with big hands, these micro chaps are just too wee.
I have a pair of 64 GB PNY turbo microSD cards in my camera and I don't take them out of the SD adapter unless necessary, so from a handling point they're no different than full size SD cards. (There is a newer version available that I would recommend instead since it has a higher speed rating) The adapter really does matter! I had a cheapo adapter at first that wouldn't read consistently, so I bought Sandisk adapters and they work fine. (I could tell the cheap adapter was loose and didn't make good contact on the connectors.)

Reliability can be hit or miss depending on the card, but it's the same with full size SD cards too.

*To preface my following comments, I don't know if it's a card issue or something about the Eye-Fi compatible slot of the K-3 so YMMV.
I purchased three of the 'same' card many months apart. I later realized that high speed burst mode (8 fps) would only work continuously on one of the three cards in Slot 1. The other two cards would shoot for 8-12 pictures then the pictures wouldn't write correctly and were unreadable. I'd need to restart before taking more pictures. In playback, if I held the arrow to scan through my pictures the one good card would fly through pictures until my thumb hurt, but the others would go for a few seconds then show question marks until I restarted the camera. I ran different diagnostics on all three cards and didn't find any errors or issues, even using full size adapters. (I also switched adapters back and forth throughout this testing to be sure they weren't the cause.) On looking closely at the three cards, I realized the one that works is slightly different than the other two and has different printing. If it was only one card I would have considered it faulty and send it back, but since it was both I'm going to say it has to do with the type of card. The two 'faulty' cards also seem to work fine in all other devices.

The interesting thing is slot 2 had no issues with any card, which makes me wonder if it has something to do with voltage supply available for the Pentax Flu card (only slot 1 can run the Flu card). It only happens during longer periods of high speed reads or writes, so it might also have something to do with approaching a limit of the cards internals. (?) Since the one card works fine I marked it and keep it in slot 1, while the card with 'the issue' stays in slot 2. (The other card with 'issues' stays in my phone.) I've since taken over 20,000 pictures on the cards with no issues or corrupt files, so I'm happy. (Usually writing to slot 2 first, so my 'faulty' card handles almost all images and the 'good' card is always available as a backup or when I fill the card in slot 2.)

TL-DR
My main point is that you should always test new memory to the extreme to uncover any issues before you trust it for your pictures. (Manual, high speed continuous, in camera lens corrections off, RAW + jpeg, and fire away for a nice long burst to put a heavy load on .) I might believe that full size SD cards could be slightly more reliable since they might dissipate heat better or have less connections to rely on, but it really comes down to the guts of the card and reliability isn't guaranteed with either size. I'd suggest buying established brands from reputable vendors to avoid fakes (NOT eBay) and even then keep in mind the same' card from a different production run or a different production facility can behave differently.