Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yup this kind of stuff does wonders for Ricoh reputation
06-17-2016, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Buh bye.
x2 Every brand has their problems. Good luck on your next camera line.
06-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is a shame, and I can understand your frustration. Beware that all cameras and all brands have their issues and just switching to Canon or Nikon won't mean you won't have another problem that won't be fixed out of warranty. If you pay for an extended warranty or for a Platinum credit card that extends warranties, then it is sort of like financing the repair in advance. Also note that more reliable DSLRs come at a price. It's your decision of course, but you do have an investment in Pentax lenses and the grass isn't greener on the lawn you haven't been tending.

06-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get intermittent issues with the aperture on my K-30, but I use my manual lens often enough to not have to worry about it.
It does suck when you go to video / live view and the aperture is off. Similarly taking an indoor picture at times gives you just a dark shadow, even when the lens is wide open.
My camera has been through a good bit of abuse, so I'm not surprised in my case.
06-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
I get intermittent issues with the aperture on my K-30, but I use my manual lens often enough to not have to worry about it.
It does suck when you go to video / live view and the aperture is off. Similarly taking an indoor picture at times gives you just a dark shadow, even when the lens is wide open.
My camera has been through a good bit of abuse, so I'm not surprised in my case.
Get ready it will fail completely soon.
06-17-2016, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Sorry to see you go. I agree that Ricoh ought to stand by their products and customers, particularly if there are latent defects like this seems to be.

Ricoh, Nikon and others could learn from Sigma's excellent handling of its K-1 mount problem. I had my 5-year-old 50-500 OS HSM "Bigma" collected, cleaned, repaired with the new "K-1 proof mount" and delivered back to me free of charge by Sigma this week.

06-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
x2 Every brand has their problems. Good luck on your next camera line.
Every manufactured product ...
06-17-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #24
mee
Veteran Member

The K-30 (and almost identical K-50) were likely Hoya designs as there was only around 6 months between the stock buy by Ricoh and the K-30's release... no way Ricoh designed a new DSLR in 6 months and had it ready for retail space.

So I don't think we'll see another ordeal like the ap control block issue with the K-30/K-50... at least I hope not!! I do agree that Ricoh should step in and do something, but that costs money.. a lot of it if they admit a flaw in the design. So I don't expect them to lift a finger sadly.

I'd do as 'Not a Number' suggested and send Ricoh Imaging a polite letter explaining the situation and your disappointment in the brand and them not backing their product. It might go no where.. but what if it does?

I further deeply suspect that ALL the major brands would do as Ricoh just did.. sweep it under the rug. There are so many stories on here of this same part failing on these particular cameras.

I've wanted to jump ship too.. but the number of lenses (and cost replacing with a new mount type) has kept me grounded. Long enough to relax a bit and realize it isn't so bad here. Maybe you just need a cooling off period? In that perhaps research other issues people are having iwth other brands out of warranty and how those brands handled it.

Thanks for the polite goodbye - take care!
06-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zoomer Quote
Hello all,

I have been a very loyal pentax fan for over 35 years - my 1st camera was a K-100, my second camera was a ME-Super, then an SFX - 1.

I always thought that they were the best camera in the world.

2 weeks ago my K-50 developed the Aperture Control Block problem and for 2 weeks I have been trying to get Ricoh to stand by there product and repair the camera. They won't and I'll be damned if I am gonna buy another product from them when they know this flaw exists in there camera's and won't take any actions to at least stand by there product.

I wanted to thank you all for all the great info, help, tips, techniques and photos I have seen since I joined here, I don't post a lot but I sure read a lot and I will never forget how awesome you all are !!!

Thanks so much,

Zoomer
The only company that I can say has stood behind their products is Sigma. I had issues and they fixed it although lens was 8-10 years old.

As far as bodies, I am a former Canon owner. Back in 2004-2007, I owned their mid range cameras of $1,299 and up to $2,599 (10D, 20D, 5D etc.). At the Irvine CPS repair center they treated me like royalty because my gear was "pro class." They treated the Rebel owners like Ricoh is treating you. And I did not have to pay a dime for the service. Today the story is different. You have to pay to play with Canon. Nikon and Sony are a whole different story altogether.

With Pentax lines are blurred between pro and non-pro cameras and Ricoh is treating everyone equally. No service regardless of the camera you own with the exception of the 645Z and this if you bought the service pack. K50 is a camera with Rebel pricing but construction closer to a 7D and the mid-range in Canon line.

Ricoh is not standing behind their products but at least they are not making us pay for the cameras through the nose like the other guys do. So for me, I would eat the cost and move on because the grass is definitely NOT greener on the other side unless you are willing to dish out prices north of $3k and pay for the warranty coverage in advance anyway.
06-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly, Pentax is not alone in this kind of thing. The only company that actually had a recall was Nikon and that was because almost all of the cameras were defective. And that still took a bit of pushing.
06-17-2016, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zoomer Quote
Done with Pentax - wanted to thank you all for your info and help !! Hello all, I have been a very loyal pentax fan for over 35 years - my 1st camera was a K-100, my second camera was a ME-Super, then an SFX - 1. I always thought that they were the best camera in the world. 2 weeks ago my K-50 developed the Aperture Control Block problem and for 2 weeks I have been trying to get Ricoh to stand by there product and repair the camera. They won't and I'll be damned if I am gonna buy another product from them when they know this flaw exists in there camera's and won't take any actions to at least stand by there product. I wanted to thank you all for all the great info, help, tips, techniques and photos I have seen since I joined here, I don't post a lot but I sure read a lot and I will never forget how awesome you all are !!! Thanks so much, Zoomer
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I polite letter to Ricoh explaining your decision would help. Otherwise it's just tears in the rain and nobody will notice.
I know that having a defective product after the guarantee period is deceiving. Also, bad experiences with Ricoh customer service in the US sounds rather strange to me, because I contacted Ricoh Europe a couple of times, and they've largely over-delivered, way beyond what I would expect, they were super fast and they've delivery more than I asked, so, what can I say. On the other hand, I contacted the Pentax dedicated shop in Paris, and I felt like the employee could not care less about selling Pentax products or did not give a damn about customer, therefore I did not buy anything to them. It seems that Ricoh customer service isn't standardized across different geographical locations. I noticed that same between local shops here, in some shops, you just feel like they aren't interested in selling, and this is definitely not a good reason to change brand (there would be other valid reason, but not the one of the OP).

You bought 3 cameras in 35 years. Looks like Ricoh does need more revenue than that to pay their employees and survive as a business. You have to understand that the K50 is designed to be as cheap as possible, and even the defect rate is rather low for such cameras from Pentax. The problem is, this kind of camera profit margin in probably around $100 to $250, which basically means that there is no way Ricoh can support those products free of charge after the guarantee period, otherwise, it would make customers very happy (to get cheap products and unlimited support for free), but not profitable for running a viable business. That's why it would make sense that Ricoh send those kind of customers to their competitors who may be willing to waste money for nothing.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-17-2016 at 11:39 PM.
06-18-2016, 12:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Sadly, Pentax is not alone in this kind of thing. The only company that actually had a recall was Nikon and that was because almost all of the cameras were defective. And that still took a bit of pushing.
That's not correct - Pentax had recalls for the sensor spots issue with the K-5 and for the K-3 II on/off issue.
06-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I had two K-30's do the same thing....one at 50K and the other at 7K and both just out of the 1 year warranty.
Yeah it sucks and I thought maybe I would ditch Pentax too. But then again ? Where would I Go ?
We will see You back here......Bye Bye for Now .

P.S.......Next time buy the extended Warranty for $20-$50 Bucks...... It helps to keep the Blues Away !
You should write to congres. In Europe we have a minimum of two years factory warranty.
06-18-2016, 02:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Sorry to see you go. I agree that Ricoh ought to stand by their products and customers, particularly if there are latent defects like this seems to be.

Ricoh, Nikon and others could learn from Sigma's excellent handling of its K-1 mount problem. I had my 5-year-old 50-500 OS HSM "Bigma" collected, cleaned, repaired with the new "K-1 proof mount" and delivered back to me free of charge by Sigma this week.
Perfectly put
Closed Thread