Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #1

USB or Card Reader?

Hello all:

I was wondering which method is most popular for getting images from the camera. My concern is wearing out the connectors on the camera. Which is more durable - USB or SD??

I have a 2GB card and have not had any need to change cards in the field, so for me I usually don't have the SD card out of the camera.

I don't know the exact parts that are used by Pentax, but I looked up a couple "typical" connectors.

An AMP standard SD connector is rated of 10,000 cycles (P/N 440297-1). That would be 27 years if you removed and replaced it (one cycle) once per day.

An AMP standard Mini USB connector is rated at 50,000 cycles (P/N 1-1734035-2). That would be 137 years at once per day.

These numbers are large enough so that it is probably not much of an issue.

From a durability standpoint, it would be better to use the USB connector for downloading (assuming these parts are representative of the ones Pentax used in the cameras).

Any thoughts?

02-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

do you really think you'd use it that much?

i personally just pull the card out and use a reader
02-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Card reader. Actually, when out and about an Image Tank type device: multi-card reader with 40GB harddrive. Then it's connected via a usb back on the desktop.
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I take the SD card out and pop it into a card reader. Faster transfer rates being my deciding factor.

02-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Things That Wear Out.

QuoteOriginally posted by TankSlapper Quote
Any thoughts?
Your shutter will wear out long before any connector will.
02-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I take the SD card out and pop it into a card reader. Faster transfer rates being my deciding factor.

k100 usb port not usb 2.0?

the k10's is a tad faster actually than my reader, i just cant be bothered unpacking the cable all the time
02-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
k100 usb port not usb 2.0?

the k10's is a tad faster actually than my reader, i just cant be bothered unpacking the cable all the time
It's USB 2.0, just the card reader I had (before it got taken from my desk) was a bit faster. Something like 200 jpegs in 8 mins for card reader, vs. 9 for the K100D. (I'm using a USB 1.1 on my old laptop and that's my rough timings).

02-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

card reader

i use the card reader more about speed and battery
02-13-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I initially used the USB connector. I quit for the following reasons:

1. Uses battery power (?) I could use for the next day's shooting
2. Camera in awkward/dangerous place while connected
3. I suddenly realized my printer has a built-in card reader
02-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TankSlapper Quote
Hello all:

I was wondering which method is most popular for getting images from the camera. My concern is wearing out the connectors on the camera. Which is more durable - USB or SD??

I have a 2GB card and have not had any need to change cards in the field, so for me I usually don't have the SD card out of the camera.

I don't know the exact parts that are used by Pentax, but I looked up a couple "typical" connectors.

An AMP standard SD connector is rated of 10,000 cycles (P/N 440297-1). That would be 27 years if you removed and replaced it (one cycle) once per day.

An AMP standard Mini USB connector is rated at 50,000 cycles (P/N 1-1734035-2). That would be 137 years at once per day.

These numbers are large enough so that it is probably not much of an issue.

From a durability standpoint, it would be better to use the USB connector for downloading (assuming these parts are representative of the ones Pentax used in the cameras).

Any thoughts?
I never thought about the reliability of the card readers, just from my experience, when you download to the computer, the file date changes to the date and time the image was downloaded, if you use a card reader, and file explorer to copy the images, they retain the initial date and time. This makes management easier. Also if your date is set wrong, it can get confusing.
02-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a card reader because of convience. It's simpler to pop the card out of the camera and pop it into the card reader than it is to hook up the camera. I'm not really worried about parts wearing out, I'm sure to up grade my body (that sounds weird I know ) probably once every five years or so. I'd be real impressed if my DS was still operating at 100% in 37 years! (not to mention that I'd be 95 )

NaCl(the card reader is simpler)H2O
02-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Card reader here as well. for pretty much same reasons already mentioned.
02-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #13
Forum Member

I always pop the SD card and start copying to my computer...and I pop a second SD card in and continue shooting while that's going on.
02-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

i use one of the very small pop in your pocket (or camera bag pocket) pen type card readers..

finding leads and connected the camera up is just too much trouble..

trog
02-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Image Date Info

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I never thought about the reliability of the card readers, just from my experience, when you download to the computer, the file date changes to the date and time the image was downloaded, if you use a card reader, and file explorer to copy the images, they retain the initial date and time. This makes management easier. Also if your date is set wrong, it can get confusing.
You are correct, if you download directly from the camera, the "File Properties:Created date" . . . aka "File Date" will change because that is a function of Windows. However, the "File Properties:Modified date" is left unchanged as are all of the actual Exif dates . . . "Image-Date/time Digitized", "Camera-Date/time" and "Image-Date/time Original". Therefore, I modified all of my file browsers to key on the "Exif" info rather than the "File Properties" info.

I find it a lot easier to just hook up my K10D to the 2.0 USB port and transfer . . . with a fast card, it is very quick.

Obviously, just seems to be a matter of personal preference.