Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade to K1 or K3ii + lens(es)

Another one of these threads... sorry, but the advice is too good! Here is what I have:

K200D
DA16-45 f4
F28 f2.8
FA50 f1.4
DFA100WR f2.8
M135 f3.5
Lumopro LP160 flash + Cactus V5 triggers
Gitzo GT2541

Still debating endlessly on a camera upgrade. The K1 low light/high iso performance is very attractive. It is however very expensive. All of my lenses happen to be full frame other than the DA16-45. But I don't really have so many of them... and it isn't like they are necessarily the cream of the crop (other than DFA100). I currently use the DFA100 and F28 more than the other lenses. I would probably like to pick up a longer lens at some point, but I don't think it is really one of my goals to build a huge lens collection...

Thoughts on where I should go? I have traditionally shot a lot of landscapes and the DA16-45 got used for a lot of that, but now with kids there are more shots of them playing etc. Due to cost, if I did get the K1 I would not be outfitting it with any of the expensive DFA zooms or anything (anytime soon). Going K3ii would likely make some kind of other lens purchase more possible.

06-19-2016, 12:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Another one of these threads... sorry, but the advice is too good! Here is what I have:

K200D
DA16-45 f4
F28 f2.8
FA50 f1.4
DFA100WR f2.8
M135 f3.5
Lumopro LP160 flash + Cactus V5 triggers
Gitzo GT2541

Still debating endlessly on a camera upgrade. The K1 low light/high iso performance is very attractive. It is however very expensive. All of my lenses happen to be full frame other than the DA16-45. But I don't really have so many of them... and it isn't like they are necessarily the cream of the crop (other than DFA100). I currently use the DFA100 and F28 more than the other lenses. I would probably like to pick up a longer lens at some point, but I don't think it is really one of my goals to build a huge lens collection...

Thoughts on where I should go? I have traditionally shot a lot of landscapes and the DA16-45 got used for a lot of that, but now with kids there are more shots of them playing etc. Due to cost, if I did get the K1 I would not be outfitting it with any of the expensive DFA zooms or anything (anytime soon). Going K3ii would likely make some kind of other lens purchase more possible.
You have a good enough lens kit to get started with the K-1, IMO. If you can afford to swap your DA 16-45mm for the D FA 28-105mm, you should be in good shape. That would be my recommendation

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You have a good enough lens kit to get started with the K-1, IMO. If you can afford to swap your DA 16-45mm for the D FA 28-105mm, you should be in good shape. That would be my recommendation
Sounds reasonable.
06-19-2016, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

K1 is FF and a crop cam & a great investment to grow old while your kids grow up.Its the Pentax WORTH the wait, worth the price.Get it and get the best images to remember the times as your children grow.

06-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K1 even in crop mode should be a significant step up from your current body in megapixel terms alone. Then there are all the other performance gains it brings.
06-19-2016, 03:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Definitely the K-1 option! While the 16-45/4 can be used in crop mode, I would recommend using it in full frame mode and do selective cropping in post processing. You will be able to squeeze out a lower crop factor of that at many settings. Practically making something in between APS-C and FF images. K-1 don't require new lenses, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade some in the long run. Take your time, save and look for bargains.
06-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It seems like the K-1 is rarely in stock. When it is then it only lasts a few minutes. If you want to get something and start shooting right away then go to a K-3. It's a lot of camera all packed into one package. I don't think you'll be disappointed. If your heart is set on a K-1 and you're just waiting for it to be in stock at the right time then go for it. Skip the K-3, use what you have now, and just wait for the camera to be available.

06-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone wants to spend your money... Me I'm not so sure. If you need a full frame you should buy it. Otherwise you are paying more than you need to. But that doesn't stop the desire.
06-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The K1 even in crop mode should be a significant step up from your current body in megapixel terms alone.
Not for a K-3 or a K-3 II . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Then there are all the other performance gains it brings.
That is true.
06-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Not for a K-3 or a K-3 II . . .
Sure, but in this case it would replace his a 10.2mp K200D. Many people have argued that 12mp or 16mp is well more than enough for most consumers, with most uses being under 6mp and anything more is extra. I'll admit I'm spoiled by my K-3 and I love the resolution, but most times it is more than I need. Once you're spoiled it's hard to go to lower resolution, but the K-1 is a step up from the K200D in crop mode and a HUGE step up in full frame. Not to mention all the advancements in auto focus, ISO, and everything else.

Sewebster, coming from the K200D I would bet that either the K-3 OR K-1 would make you happy. I would say it all depends on how comfortable you are stretching your budget. If you've noticed that your type of shooting would benefit from a lens you wish you had, you might want to get the K-3 so you can add that lens to your arsenal. On the other hand, I can't recall reading that anyone was less than happy with their K-1, even if they switched from a K-3. The biggest complaint is that it costs more and might require buying new lenses to match the viewing angle and zoom people are used to using.

I hope this helps a little, but no matter which you choose I'm sure you'll be happy with the performance.
06-19-2016, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps unsurprisingly a lot of support for the K1 option!

I hadn't really considered using the 16-45 on it, but I guess it would even "work better" in crop mode than with my k200d! But swapping out for the DFA28-105 could work, or maybe the upcoming DFA wide angle prime (uh oh talking about buying lenses again).

As you can imagine since I'm still shooting the k200, I'm not in a huge rush, so I could wait for the K1. As UncleVanya points out though, it's pretty easy to spend someone else's money! But it would be hard to be disappointed no matter what just need to save my pennies and make a decision.
06-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I upgraded from K200D to K-5 five years ago and that was a remarkable upgrade. If you do the same now (or K-5II/K-5IIs), you should come out much cheaper. For example 400$ - 100$ for selling the old camera. I'm still enjoying the K-5 and plan to do so for a year or two more and then buy the K-1 at a lower price, or a K-1 light if they launch something like that.
06-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

k1 if your budget allow or k3 if not. k3ii is the same as k3 except gps & pixel shift. I have a k3 (upgraded from a k5) and can confirm that k3 is absolutely awesome.... but I'm still waiting for k1's price to drop because all my lenses are FF ^^
06-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes, it is very easy to spend someone's money. But when someone comes asking for advice on X camera versus Y, you know they've already considered the why and wherefore of spending the extra money that X costs.

Both cameras are leaps into the stratosphere compared to what you have right now; that much is true. The K-3 is significantly less expensive, but there are some things the K-1 does better - and if you absolutely either want or need those things done better and will accept no compromises, you know which camera you have to buy.

At least you are not in the situation of someone moving up from a K-5 who will have to take a small hit in megapixels in crop mode, or worse, a K-3 owner with exclusively DA glass who will take a significant hit in crop mode when pixel pitch is of importance for what goes on in post-processing afterwards. There are no compromises for you, except of course in the sticker price - and yes, I admit, that's a huge one.

I can afford it, but I still haven't rushed out and got it - that will be for Christmas, unless my K-5 dies first (in which case I will need rather than just want a new camera, and why not go full-frame seeing as I have tons of glass for it). I have to admit, though, if the price had been the $3000 US we were fearing rather than the $1800 US that we got, I would have been giving the K-1 a very firm miss.
06-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Based on using it on a film camera your 16-45 works full frame from about 21mm on. The debate between cropped or full frame for your needs I will leave to others to spend your money.