Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
P&S killer: K100D Super + DA40?

My K10D is too much to carry with me everywhere, even with a manpurse.

But I've been thinking that the K100D Super with the DA 40mm LTD might even be pocket-able, and should walk all over, say, a Canon G9.

Has anyone tried such a thing for EDC (every day carry)?

07-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

although some people claim to put that combination in their pockets, it's definitely not pocket size.

edit: if you have the opportunity, the Olympus E-420 and Pancake 25mm are the smallest DSLR combo out there right now. perhaps you can check that out

Last edited by k100d; 07-17-2008 at 02:08 PM.
07-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I own, and do use that combination. Yes, it will fit in a large coat pocket.
Would I ever carry it that way?

No.

For me, it wouldn't replace a P&S because it's still just too big.

I have been pondering getting some form of case to carry it on my belt though, so it's possible my feelings would change then - it's still always going to be awkward to carry compared to a real P&S though.
07-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It does make an excellent compact dSLR, but I still wouldn't call it a pocket camera.

07-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

I have a *istDS and a variety of compact lenses, from some sweet old 50s to a new 21/3.2, and as much as I tell myself that I can carry that combo anywhere, I don't. I have the advantage of being able to carry one of those obnoxious quilted purses that is perfect for a midsized camera without getting any strange looks and I still never do because I am always worried about banging it around.
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TiJean Quote
I have a *istDS and a variety of compact lenses, from some sweet old 50s to a new 21/3.2, and as much as I tell myself that I can carry that combo anywhere, I don't. I have the advantage of being able to carry one of those obnoxious quilted purses that is perfect for a midsized camera without getting any strange looks and I still never do because I am always worried about banging it around.
How about getting a pouch like this?
Soft Pouch– Digital D-Series | Demo Page

A thick man's sock would work, as well.

Heather
07-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've debated the same issue myself of whether to get a second body or a high-quality point & shoot as a backup to my K10D. The main advantage of going with a P&S is the small size, but you will probably sacrifice some IQ at the same time. One advantage of having another DSLR as a backup is that if you need to, you can carry both bodies at the same time with different lenses mounted on them if you don't want to fool with changing lenses.

There have been a couple of threads in the P&S department that might interest you if you're leaning that way...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-p-s-camera-discussion/25718-keep-me-family.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-p-s-camera-discussion/4783-what-s-...-s-camera.html

HTH,
Heather

07-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

While the K100d Super + da 40mm is a great compact combo.. I think a real P&S killer (or at least the first of a breed of killers) is Sigma's Dp1...
Size of a compact, but sensor about 80% of a slr sensor
07-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

having upgraded to the K20D from a K100D there is no size difference except the odd 1/4 inch in length to help for those of us with larger hands.

if you think you're going to be saving space going down to a K100D from a K10D you wont be all too thrilled.

if you want a PS killer buy the Sigma DP1
07-18-2008, 05:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have an old DL (which is even smaller than the K100D Super) that I sometimes use with my DA40 as a "compact SLR" but it really isn't compact enough for a "take everywhere and have ready in a split second camera."

The problem is, although DL and 40 are more compact than my K10D and another prime or zoom lens it just isn't compact enough to be a "pocket" camera.

I tried the G7 and G9, but they are likewise too big to be a "pocket" camera. So far, the only full-featured "pocket camera I've been able to find are the Nikon P5000 and P5100 cameras. I currently use the P5100 as my "pocket" camera and it does reasonably well as long as you don't expect it to perform like an SLR.

I would love it if Pentax made a reasonably quick (as in at least 3fps with a buffer of at least 10 RAW frames) with at least 10mp resolution that was slightly smaller and lighter than the old DL but also had thin metal body construction rather than plastic. It doesn't need to be weatherproof, it doesn't need much ... just make it a good compact Pentax DSLR. The K200D is great, but it isn't compact and I suspect Pentax could make something as small or smaller than the Olympus E-420 if they used a compact Li-Ion battery rather than AAs.

Essentially, what I want is a Pentax "Limited" DSLR: a compact, metal-bodied DSLR that is the perfect match for the compact, metal-bodied DA Limited lenses.
07-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

if you want a good pocket SRL quality camera, what about fujifilm S6500fd or 9000 series?
I have hade and used a S6500FD very good camera and very good shots too, since sold it to get a K100D Super......

But with an 28-300 lens fixed to it do you really need more in a pocket cam?
07-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
Forum Member

I know some people use Ricoh GR-D II. It features quality 28mm f/2.4 lens. You can purchase external viewfinder for this camera, which Ricoh sells at around $180. There are two adjusting wheels on the body and the camera looks cool.

The price of it is around $700 that does not include the external viewfinder. It is still a P&S, however. I'd rather buy the Pentax ist DS2 & 40mm Ltd that features bright pentaprism viewfinder with the same money.

If I need to take a quick picture I'd use my mobile phone. For pleasure - a DSLR.

Last edited by alexgn; 07-18-2008 at 08:56 AM.
07-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones on another thread Quote
I want a shrink ray for my K10D
That sums it up. P&S killer. Full manual, good high ISO, SR, raw, interchangeable lens.

I have a canon digital elph and my first Pentax was the Optio S4 (the one that fit inside an Altoids tin), but after handling the K10d for a while, I don't even want to touch it.

The G9 is good, but it's $$ and it's still large and the IQ is not as good. I've read decidedly bad reviews about the Sigma DP1.

The K100d Super would have some synergy with the K10d. Without totally relearning all the muscle memory controls (I think). And the DA35 is my favorite lens, so the DA40 would probably work for me in 85% of situations.

The Oly or a superzoom P&S don't appeal to me, too many compromises for not enough gains.

Sigh, but I've never seen the K100d in person, and if it's really just about the same size/weight as a K10d as Gooshin says, well, hmm. Plan B? There is no plan B? Well, okay, the SD400 still works.
07-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
Forum Member

I used a DP1 for about 2 weeks, great little camera, shots were amazing, but I really wanted something that could zoom since you really aren't getting that much resolution to crop with, but here are a couple shots form the DP1.

07-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #15

I have a K110D that I use primarily with the DA40 as my 'compact' camera. The K110 (same size as the K100) is only marginally smaller than my K10D, but it is MUCH lighter than the K10D. It still isn't a pocket camera though. I usually carry it in a little waist-pack and it isn't too noticeable.