Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

Backpack for DSLR and Laptop/Tablet for air travel

I am taking a few trips in early fall to Europe and a cruise while I am there, I am looking for some recommendations on a backpack that I can take on the plane to carry my DLSR a few lenses and my laptop/tablet.

Camera right now is the K5ii ( might be the K1 by the trip), the lenses are: 70-200, 50mm, 10-20 wide angle, some spare batteries, memory cards, and a couple of filters. I want to be able to strap a tripod to the pack also, a compact one ( Model I am still trying to choose at this point). Also a spot to be able to carry a water bottle and some room to throw in a light jacket or small items we might buy while out. Would like to be able to get access to the Lenses easily without having to remove everything else that I might have in the pack. I will be walking around quite a bit so I want it to be comfortable while walking. That is the wish list anyway, I hope there is one out there that fits the bill.

Right now I have a sling pack that I think works really well for day trips but is not great for travelling when I need to also take a laptop. I want to try and prevent having to carry on the sling and a backpack with my laptop in it if I can.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks

Pat

06-21-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tazzmacd Quote
I want to be able to strap a tripod to the pack also, a compact one ( Model I am still trying to choose at this point)
I've heard this is a great travel tripod:
Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

On the Lowepro website and using the 'bag finder' I come up with this which may work well?
Transit Backpack 350 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
06-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

depends on how big your laptop is.

I personally love the Tenba backpacks.

Shootout Backpack 18L ? Black | 632-411

I have the medium version, my GF has the small version. Mine fits a 17", her fits a 15".

I owned and/or tested about a dozen backpacks over the course of about a year, Tenba was BY FAR the most comfortable.
06-21-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Pat,

I have this backpack: Vanguard The Heralder 51T Rolling Backpack. It is on wheels and you can take it backpacking too. It is a little larger but it is check-in size for airlines. I saw it a few months ago for less than $200. I paid more than that a few years ago. It will take everything you have and then some. I have a Pelican 1550 and a few other larger camera bags but use the Vanguard almost exclusively these days. It has made my other bags redundant. I almost bought a Tenba with similar specs to the Vanguard but the design and the features were ancient compared to the Vanguard.

06-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have (too many) camera bags and backpacks, but I always return to my favorite LowePro Photosport 200 AW when I travel. I think it's in the process of being discontinued/replaced with a new model - so you might be able to get a good deal.
https://www.amazon.com/Photo-Sport-200-Lowepro-Mirrorless/dp/B004XNLR16

• I can fit in the camera-specific side-access compartment: K-3 with 50-135 plus teleconverter attached, plus a medium-sized zoom (e.g., the 55-300, the 16-85 or 18-135) or several primes.
  • In the upper chamber (which isn't padded), I can include a flash or a few lenses (including some larger lenses) in padded bags, plus other small accessories and/or items needed for a day trip. There is an deep/shallow outside pocket on the front for a thin jacket or sweater (or you can include it in the upper chamber, which has a lot of room).
  • There is a raincover and you can attach a tripod to the bottom of the pack if you want. There is room for a water bottle on the side (although you need to strap it in fairly carefully.
  • There is an internal zip pocket in the upper chamber that can hold a wallet, etc. I also like using the water bladder in the back of the bag to hold documents that need protection if I'm travelling somewhere dodgy (e.g., I'll slide my passport wallet in there). The water bladder chamber is large enough to hold a tablet or even a 11-12" laptop.
  • There is a zip pocket on the outside top of the bag for more stuff.
  • The bag is very comfortable to wear for hiking, with a padded hipbelt (that contains a few small zip pockets - not big enough for a phone, though) and a padded back. I didn't get too sweaty wearing the pack in very hot and humid climates (Borneo, Ecuador).

I find that this bag is a good compromise between size and padding protection vs weight. It's big enough to hold a fair bit, and the main camera chamber is secure with good padding, but it's one of the lightest bags I've found with these kind of dimensions/carrying capacity.
06-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I bought a Lowepro fastpack 250 for this purpose. My usual slingbag can't take a laptop or sufficient extraneous "cabin luggage". The fastpack 250 takes a camera with largish lens attached and 5 more lenses (or 4 + flash). It's a reasonable solution, but there are probably many other options. Worth comparing though. It would not take my Pentax D FA 70-200 without major reconfiguration, and loss of space for other lenses, but I do not travel with that monster.

On my recent trip to USA and Europe I carried in it: K3, DA 55-300, DA 16-85, DA15 Ltd, DA40 Ltd, DA70 Ltd, D FA 28-105 (picked up along the way), Bose noise cancelling headphones, macbook pro 15", mouse, 2TB portable HD, assorted toiletries (for flights), a small selection of underwear, socks, spare t-shirt, writing pad.

When fully packed with gear, the fastpack 250 may be too heavy for some.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-21-2016 at 09:56 AM.
06-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday at REI I was very impressed with the quality of construction of the Thule Convert backpack. It would meet your requirements. The one negative is that the thing is relatively heavy--due to the materials. The design rocks.

M

06-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at all of them.

Pat
06-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have Unica VII from Manfrotto but it is not a backpack. The funny thing is that 15'' or 17'' laptop fits inside and also a Manfrotto befree tripod as well. It is discontinued now but in a fact Unica V bag is essentially the same in their biggest size. for sure it fits your needs except from the jacket and storage room for purchased items. It has quick access even for laptop. It is really good. You might find Unica VII somewhere cheap and if yes get it. can fit tripod up to 36cm folded I think...

it is definitely worth looking into.

I have exactly this one: Manfrotto Stile Collection: Unica VII Messenger Bag MB SM390-7BC

06-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would love to be able to recommend my favorite photo backpack, but Mountainsmith stopped making it.
06-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use Tamrac Expedition 6x and I'm satisfied.. You can attach to it also a compact tripod (my Manfrotto 190 is a bit long but fits in). It's comfortable for back and shoulders.
06-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by tazzmacd Quote
I am taking a few trips in early fall to Europe and a cruise while I am there, I am looking for some recommendations on a backpack that I can take on the plane to carry my DLSR a few lenses and my laptop/tablet.

Camera right now is the K5ii ( might be the K1 by the trip), the lenses are: 70-200, 50mm, 10-20 wide angle, some spare batteries, memory cards, and a couple of filters. I want to be able to strap a tripod to the pack also, a compact one ( Model I am still trying to choose at this point). Also a spot to be able to carry a water bottle and some room to throw in a light jacket or small items we might buy while out. Would like to be able to get access to the Lenses easily without having to remove everything else that I might have in the pack. I will be walking around quite a bit so I want it to be comfortable while walking. That is the wish list anyway, I hope there is one out there that fits the bill.

Right now I have a sling pack that I think works really well for day trips but is not great for travelling when I need to also take a laptop. I want to try and prevent having to carry on the sling and a backpack with my laptop in it if I can.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks

Pat
I spent 9 days in Iceland and used the MindShift backpack to carry all my gear.
No problems carrying it on the plane.
I took out the waist belt and put it under the seat in front of me so I could take it out during the flight to take pictures.
I was able to fit in the: K3ii with 16-85, 1.4x converter,DA 55-300, DA 12-24, DFA 100mm macro, 15mm and a Samyang 8mm. Tight squeeze but it works with APS-C!
I stacked 6 lenses together with a OP/Tech double lens mount cap to save space.
06-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Think Tank Shapeshifter which I brought 2 years ago to carry my photo gear and laptop (Apple Macbook 13") around the Pacific.

I use it every day for my work bag as well, and have found it to be really good. It has held up well and is still in great condition.

One of the real advantages of this backpack is that it fits in the bins and under seats of small regional turboprops really well - I travel regularly on these.

The neoprene pockets work really well protecting lenses and camera.
06-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i like the lowepro flipside 20l https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNFMDZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
took it on oregon trip and did me well on the trails and trip
06-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Backpack-DSLR-Cameras-Accessories/dp/B002VPE1WK In the bargain department you can get this Amazon Basics bag for $29. I have had it for a few years and it has held up great