Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

K10D raw vs K20D raw - 1st post from longtime lurker.

Greetings to all, I hope this will go to the right place (ie - K10D club)! Please excuse any errors - I'm a bit confused as this is my first post.
I have been a long time user of the Samsung GX10 and really like how it feels and what it does, and recently acquired a GX20 (K20D equivalent) for use with longer MF lenses and higher ISO's.
I note that when shooting RAW, the GX20 produces images with very low saturation levels compared to Raw images on the GX10. When both are set to JPG, both produce good levels of saturation and colour.
My question is - Does anyone know if this 'poor' RAW saturation on the GX20 is normal and just a charateristic of the CMOS sensor when compared to the CCD item in the GX10, or might I have bought a 'lemon'?
Many thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.
Barry P.

06-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oldbagley Quote
Greetings to all, I hope this will go to the right place (ie - K10D club)! Please excuse any errors - I'm a bit confused as this is my first post.
I have been a long time user of the Samsung GX10 and really like how it feels and what it does, and recently acquired a GX20 (K20D equivalent) for use with longer MF lenses and higher ISO's.
I note that when shooting RAW, the GX20 produces images with very low saturation levels compared to Raw images on the GX10. When both are set to JPG, both produce good levels of saturation and colour.
My question is - Does anyone know if this 'poor' RAW saturation on the GX20 is normal and just a charateristic of the CMOS sensor when compared to the CCD item in the GX10, or might I have bought a 'lemon'?
Many thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.
Barry P.
Its the characteristic of the GX20 CMOS versus the GX10 CCD, but not he characteristic of current CMOS sensors. I went from a K10 to a K20 and was actually very disappointed in what images looked like, even after post processing. Considering your dealing with a sensor built when CMOS technology was in it's infancy, it was probably to be expected. I don't think you'll be that thrilled with the GX20 at higher iso either. There really wasn't much improvement in noise until the K5 series. On my K20, iso 800 was about as high as I was comfortable going, which was about where the K10 topped out as well.

On a side note: Recent generation CMOS sensors are much better than the K10 CCD ever was, but not everyone agrees. for them there's the K10 forum.
06-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Its the characteristic of the GX20 CMOS versus the GX10 CCD, but not he characteristic of current CMOS sensors. I went from a K10 to a K20 and was actually very disappointed in what images looked like, even after post processing. Considering your dealing with a sensor built when CMOS technology was in it's infancy, it was probably to be expected. I don't think you'll be that thrilled with the GX20 at higher iso either. There really wasn't much improvement in noise until the K5 series. On my K20, iso 800 was about as high as I was comfortable going, which was about where the K10 topped out as well.

On a side note: Recent generation CMOS sensors are much better than the K10 CCD ever was, but not everyone agrees. for them there's the K10 forum.
nomadkng, many thanks for your comments. I am comforted to know that It is a characteristic of the sensor - I can now concentrate on working to it.
On the subject of iso, I do not like using the GX10 above 200, and the GX20 is ok for me up to 800 at a push and for what I paid for it, coupled with the confirmation from your comment makes me a happy man again!
Many thanks - Barry P.
07-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oldbagley Quote
nomadkng, many thanks for your comments. I am comforted to know that It is a characteristic of the sensor - I can now concentrate on working to it.
On the subject of iso, I do not like using the GX10 above 200, and the GX20 is ok for me up to 800 at a push and for what I paid for it, coupled with the confirmation from your comment makes me a happy man again!
Many thanks - Barry P.
I went from the Samsung GX10 to the Pentax K20D. I really liked the output of the K20D. Its still my fav camera. When I went to the K-5 I kept my K20D. It really is a fine camera, the GX20 or K20D.