Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Seek advice: $200+ K110D repair - trade-in?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Greetings,

In a previous thread, I described my broken K110D symptoms, all of which lead to a Pentax $231 repair estimate. Considering new ones - with a lens - are available on fleabay for ~$100 more, it seems like a questionable use of funds. (Sure, I could still use a second body, but I *really* want at least orientation sensor, if not shake reduction.)

Wondering if anyone knows of any trade-in/trade-up incentives - for either Pentax (K200D or K20D) or even for a competitor like Canon (I've got a 10D and very interested in a 40D) - where I might be able to get something for my old body. For reference, I've been able to upgrade to a newer, better (Polar) heart rate monitor instead of getting an older unit repaired (for some reasonable amount).

Finally, it appears that, unlike some products that are user serviceable, there isn't any market for a DSLR parts unit - that there's basically no cash value for a busted body (UsedCameraBuyer, the buying arm of ShutterBlade, doesn't buy broken gear and they had no suggestions for my conundrum).

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughtful and helpful replies.

07-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TreeHuggerDoug Quote
Wondering if anyone knows of any trade-in/trade-up incentives - for either Pentax (K200D or K20D) or even for a competitor like Canon
To add to my original post, I've learned that Canon has a "loyalty program", in which, as I understand it, they offer you a good deal on a refurb camera to replace your broken Canon one.

Alas, Pentax does not appear to have any such program. I did make it a point to tell the Pentax service people about Canon's program.
07-19-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
Moo

Finally, it appears that, unlike some products that are user serviceable, there isn't any market for a DSLR parts unit - that there's basically no cash value for a busted body
Have you looked on ebay? You may be surprised. There is a market for broken P&S cameras, so I expect DSLRs would sell too..
07-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Greetings,

In a previous thread, I described my broken K110D symptoms, all of which lead to a Pentax $231 repair estimate. Considering new ones - with a lens - are available on fleabay for ~$100 more, it seems like a questionable use of funds. (Sure, I could still use a second body, but I *really* want at least orientation sensor, if not shake reduction.)

Wondering if anyone knows of any trade-in/trade-up incentives - for either Pentax (K200D or K20D) or even for a competitor like Canon (I've got a 10D and very interested in a 40D) - where I might be able to get something for my old body. For reference, I've been able to upgrade to a newer, better (Polar) heart rate monitor instead of getting an older unit repaired (for some reasonable amount).

Finally, it appears that, unlike some products that are user serviceable, there isn't any market for a DSLR parts unit - that there's basically no cash value for a busted body (UsedCameraBuyer, the buying arm of ShutterBlade, doesn't buy broken gear and they had no suggestions for my conundrum).

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughtful and helpful replies.
Couple of things 1)Is it covered under any insurance? 2)Ebay (from casual glancing) has a fair market in "parts". I see moo agrees w/ me here.
3) 110 (no shake reduction) is definitly a lower value. Big problem here is if you get it fixed and then sell it in ebay clearly stating the "refurb" work from Pentax and posessing proof of such, you may be able to at least make a few dollars on the sale. A bit risky w/ a 110 though and from looking at the record, I can't say your odds are very good.
Pentax K110D 6.1 Mp Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens - eBay (item 140248673635 end time Jul-15-08 14:41:58 PDT)
Rock and a hard place I guess.
you could always try a bit of a strong arm by telling Pentax this looks to be a "hidden defect" and should be replaced at no charge. Then barter to cover some of the costs. This strategy used to work in the "old days".....

07-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have seen many cameras go on eBay as needing repair and they are no where close to free. However there are a lot of factors, so I am not saying how much or little yours would be worth, because I dont know. I do know I am always 'surprised' at how much NR anything can go for. If that repair price includes them tuning up your camera to factory spec, so you no nothing else is wrong, and its been a good camera, you could probably get it repaired and recoup 50% of the repair cost when you do sell. Thats the safest bet. Now you could sell and get ??? and put that toward a new one, but I hope the new one has a warranty, if not may as well get yours repaired.
07-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Is it covered under any insurance?
I have no reason to think so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
Have you looked on ebay?... There is a market for broken P&S cameras, so I expect DSLRs would sell too..
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I have seen many cameras go on eBay as needing repair and they are no where close to free.
I think I'd looked specifically for Pentax gear and found no current or recent auctions. The only recent ended DSLR auction prices:

$152.50 Nikon D100
$134.50 Nikon D100
$100 Canon Rebel XT
$56 Olympus E20

so, it's true, hardly free.

JFTHOI, I also checked eBay Want It Now to see if someone just happened to be looking for a broken Pentax body; no luck.

I'm leaning towards trying to get the best deal I can on the K110D repair and then decide later if I'm going to keep it.

BTW, I believe the repair warranty, as with new product, applies only to original buyer; that is, I don't think I could sell it as a just-repaired camera w/warranty.
07-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Can you check on one thing for me?
Pentax, after a repair, used to give a new full 1 year warranty, not just on the fixed parts I believe. I'm curious if they still do that.

07-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Pentax, after a repair, used to give a new full 1 year warranty
Yes, that's still the case, so you get some added value for your repair dollar.

I'm getting the camera fixed; I was told it might take 15-20 business days. I think it'll be useful for the 10-17, which normally doesn't need shake reduction or orientation flip (I almost always shoot landscape with it); I can use longer lenses on the K10D.