Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

K10D or K200D?

I know, this is probably a thread for eight years ago. Sorry about that. I'm not that interested in having the latest of everything, obviously including megapixels. My only digital SLR is a K100D, which I'm very happy with, but I'd like a couple more features it doesn't have, including weather sealing. I'd also like another body since I always carried two bodies in my film days. I don't have the money for a new camera not do I want something radically different from my K100D, thus my interest in these other older cameras. I think the K10D is for me, but I don't know how similar--or different, the K200D really is. I note there are sections for each here and I will be exploring them, but I was wondering if anyone could compare them head to head? Thank-you.

Mark

06-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are both rugged, weather-resistant, and have the same 10 mpx CCD sensor. They can both use an optional battery grip. The K10D is a bit larger and heavier, and takes a proprietary battery (long-lasting, btw). The K200D uses AA's (rechargeable Eneloops would be ideal). The K10D has a larger pentaprism viewfinder while the 200D uses a smaller, dimmer pentamirror, similar to the one on your K100D. The K10D, being the flagship model, has more controls on the body, while the K200D requires a little more menu-diving. I would imagine their RAW output would be almost identical, but I've heard reports that the K200D may have a slightly better jpeg engine. If you like the rendering of the old CCD sensors (like I do!), you can't go wrong with either camera.
06-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

I've seen K20D's for only a few pennies more than the k10D and it has a better jpeg engine and better exposure system, k10 was notorious for underexposing to protect blown out highlights
06-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
They are both rugged, weather-resistant, and have the same 10 mpx CCD sensor. They can both use an optional battery grip. The K10D is a bit larger and heavier, and takes a proprietary battery (long-lasting, btw). The K200D uses AA's (rechargeable Eneloops would be ideal). The K10D has a larger pentaprism viewfinder while the 200D uses a smaller, dimmer pentamirror, similar to the one on your K100D. The K10D, being the flagship model, has more controls on the body, while the K200D requires a little more menu-diving. I would imagine their RAW output would be almost identical, but I've heard reports that the K200D may have a slightly better jpeg engine. If you like the rendering of the old CCD sensors (like I do!), you can't go wrong with either camera.

Exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. I do like the rendering of the CCD sensors, and that's another reason for staying with these older models. I don't think I would mind the larger size of the K10D as I could always grab my K100D for walkabouts. And I think I'd like the pentaprism more than the pentamirror. I'm used to menu-diving with the K100D but for the most part only a few get changed very often, so that isn't a big issue.

What are the proprietary batteries the K10D uses?

Thanks again!

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by homestead65 Quote
I've seen K20D's for only a few pennies more than the k10D and it has a better jpeg engine and better exposure system, k10 was notorious for underexposing to protect blown out highlights

Thank-you for that useful bit of info on the K20 vs K10. Certainly worth considering! I have read reviews of the K20 that suggest it is merely an updated K10D.

ETA: Oh, I forgot the K20D went from a CCD to CMOS sensor. I am not sure I want to make that change, and I'm not a pixel chaser....

Mark

Last edited by Mark Freburg; 06-26-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot something
06-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Freburg Quote
D-Li50
06-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. I do like the rendering of the CCD sensors, and that's another reason for staying with these older models. I don't think I would mind the larger size of the K10D as I could always grab my K100D for walkabouts. And I think I'd like the pentaprism more than the pentamirror. I'm used to menu-diving with the K100D but for the most part only a few get changed very often, so that isn't a big issue.

Thanks again!

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 11:22 AM ----------

Thank-you for that useful bit of info on the K20 vs K10. Certainly worth considering! I have read reviews of the K20 that suggest it is merely an updated K10D.

ETA: Oh, I forgot the K20D went from a CCD to CMOS sensor. I am not sure I want to make that change, and I'm not a pixel chaser....

Mark
Yes not much difference, my K10 wasn't useable above iso 400 where my k20D was good at 800 iso
06-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have read reviews of the K20 that suggest it is merely an updated K10D.
No.
The K-20 was a new development.
It's not only CMOS against CCD, 14MP against 10MP, but also a first try with (a very basic) LiveView, lens dependend focus adjust, and some more.

It was not the real big step; this came with the K-7 (CMOS 14MP like the K-20), which started a new body design and handling, which was carried through all the way to the K-5II, with only very minor modifications.

06-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

K10d. The viewfinder is worth it.
06-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

the K10D does render colours beautifully but it is practically useless above ISO 800.
Good luck with your choice!

Randy
06-26-2016, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
No.
The K-20 was a new development.
It's not only CMOS against CCD, 14MP against 10MP, but also a first try with (a very basic) LiveView, lens dependend focus adjust, and some more.

It was not the real big step; this came with the K-7 (CMOS 14MP like the K-20), which started a new body design and handling, which was carried through all the way to the K-5II, with only very minor modifications.

I have never gotten the attraction of live view. I have a Canon G9 with live view (not an SLR camera of course), and while I use the LCD for things like still life, I wouldn't think of using it for almost anything else. In fact, when I was looking for a high end/non-SLR, having a viewfinder was mandatory, and I use the one on my G9 most of the time. Having live view on an SLR takes me so far away from my roots as a film camera user that I just don't see the point. Call me a Luddite, but we all developed as photographers at different points in time. Not everyone wants to keep "moving forward," or even sees all new developments as progress. But I don't want to be seen as a whiner--there is room for every single approach out there. Thank-you for the additional information!

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 03:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
the K10D does render colours beautifully but it is practically useless above ISO 800.
Good luck with your choice!

Randy

Hi Randy. Practically useless?

---------- Post added 06-26-16 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
K10d. The viewfinder is worth it.

Well, somewhat true to my usual impatient self, I posted a question and then a couple hours later found an excellent ++ K10D and bought it. Call me frivolous. But I'm holding you to your "view" on the viewfinder, ChristianRock!
06-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Congrats on the K10D purchase. It has excellent low ISO image quality and IMO has the best ergonomics of ANY camera I have picked up and held. The K10D was my first DSLR and when the card reader failed after 6 years, I purchased another. Today, it is my MF lens camera. I have a Katz Eye screen in it and all my old Taks still get regularly used on it.
06-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One negative for the K10d - there is no lens AF correction. If you have legacy AF lenses OR even new/ recent sigma lenses then there is a reasonable chance you will have to adjust the AF. It can be done, but not straight forward.
06-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
. . .
Well, somewhat true to my usual impatient self, I posted a question and then a couple hours later found an excellent ++ K10D and bought it.

A good choice!

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Congrats on the K10D purchase. It has excellent low ISO image quality and IMO has the best ergonomics of ANY camera I have picked up and held....

Excellent point about the ergonomics. I love the K10D's button layout and left thumb grip-ability. And it also has beautiful latching doors for the memory card slot and the USB port. Pentax really bungled when they switched to rubber "doors" for ports.
06-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Congrats on the K10D purchase. It has excellent low ISO image quality and IMO has the best ergonomics of ANY camera I have picked up and held. The K10D was my first DSLR and when the card reader failed after 6 years, I purchased another. Today, it is my MF lens camera. I have a Katz Eye screen in it and all my old Taks still get regularly used on it.

What is an "MF" lens camera? I use my old manual lenses on my K100D regularly so this will probably continue. I have far more manual lenses than automatic.

---------- Post added 06-27-16 at 08:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
One negative for the K10d - there is no lens AF correction. If you have legacy AF lenses OR even new/ recent sigma lenses then there is a reasonable chance you will have to adjust the AF. It can be done, but not straight forward.

I went from pre-autofocus right to a K100D with a couple of kit lenses to start with. I skipped the pre-digital autofocus era altogether. I either use autofocus lenses made since these DSLRs came out (Pentax lenses, plus one new Tamron), or classic manual lenses. So it sounds like I should be good? (I'm used to setting focal length on my classic lenses and manually focusing.)

---------- Post added 06-27-16 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
A good choice!
Thank-you.

QuoteQuote:
Excellent point about the ergonomics. I love the K10D's button layout and left thumb grip-ability. And it also has beautiful latching doors for the memory card slot and the USB port. Pentax really bungled when they switched to rubber "doors" for ports.
I think the K10D does have a rubber "door" on the bottom plate--for attachment of the battery grip....?
06-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

What is an "MF" lens camera? I use my old manual lenses on my K100D regularly so this will probably continue. I have far more manual lenses than automatic.
I use it pretty much exclusively for my manual lenses. I installed a Katz Eye screen in my first one several years ago. I was never able to get another focusing screen shimmed right in my K5 and Ricoh/Pentax stopped selling shims a few years ago so I pretty much use my K10D for my manual lenses. I have more manual lenses than AF, too, but my eyesight isn't what it once was and I really need a split image screen. I'm also quite used to using one, having had them in my film cameras for years and years. My K10D works fine with my AF lenses but I normally use my K5 as my working camera and the K10D as my backup.