Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Freburg Quote
. . .
I think the K10D does have a rubber "door" on the bottom plate--for attachment of the battery grip....?

Yes, it does. I guess I forgot about that one because I rarely use the battery grip.

And regarding the battery grip... I wouldn't mind if the K10D were just a bit larger to better fit my hands. Yet, I found that adding the D-BG2 grip makes the camera too large and unwieldy for my taste. (D-BG2 reviews here)

Name:  IMGP0919 fj g7.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  210.2 KB

06-28-2016, 02:04 AM   #17

Just in case you decide the K10 isn't to your liking, I love the K200d & think you might, too.

Coming from the film era, the Super Program w/MEII winder was my favorite. With autofocus film, it was the PZ1p. Much of my satisfaction stemmed from the ergonomics of both cameras, especially with a longer lens attached.

After going through the *istL, K100d, and K100d Super (still have both K100s), in 2009 I purchased a K200d new, and recently purchased another used. Although I also have two newer K-x bodies, the K200d remains as the most comfortable camera I've ever held, especially when needing a long lens.

The K200d is very good up to ISO 800, and is rock solid reliable. Menus are similar to the K100d, but even more intuitive, imho. And I love it's use of AA batteries. I have the optional grip, but the camera is so darn comfortable, I typically go without it unless I want another set of batteries at the ready.

The different look of the K-x CMOS sensor is nice to have (as well as the camera's higher ISO capability), but the older CCD as found in the K200d is a real winner.
06-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I use it pretty much exclusively for my manual lenses. I installed a Katz Eye screen in my first one several years ago. I was never able to get another focusing screen shimmed right in my K5 and Ricoh/Pentax stopped selling shims a few years ago so I pretty much use my K10D for my manual lenses. I have more manual lenses than AF, too, but my eyesight isn't what it once was and I really need a split image screen. I'm also quite used to using one, having had them in my film cameras for years and years. My K10D works fine with my AF lenses but I normally use my K5 as my working camera and the K10D as my backup.

Ah, manual focus. Duh--I can be slow at times. I too was so used to a split lens screen. I've come to rely on my K100D telling me when I'm in focus when using a manual focus lens in difficult situations. I may not be able to see the focus clearly but the green light is obvious to my eye. I'm thinking that when I get used to the K10D I will know when to pull out the K100D for a specific feature it might actually have that the K10D might not--though I expect the K10D will have most situations covered. To that end my plan is to keep a favorite (or the lens I want to use most that outing) on the K10D and keep a good alternative on the K100D. I have always liked carrying two cameras with very different lens so I don't have to change lenses when I suddenly need something different. That's when going on a photo outing of course, not when going on a casual walk about.

---------- Post added 06-30-16 at 09:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Yes, it does. I guess I forgot about that one because I rarely use the battery grip.

And regarding the battery grip... I wouldn't mind if the K10D were just a bit larger to better fit my hands. Yet, I found that adding the D-BG2 grip makes the camera too large and unwieldy for my taste. (D-BG2 reviews here)

Attachment 315746

Twenty years ago I would have jumped on the D-BG2. There would have been no question of adding that to my kit. But time and aging has made me understand I don't need to look like a professional photographer when I am just a happy amateur. I humped around a lot of kit in those days that I perhaps didn't need to. Which is not to say that I didn't use what I had with enthusiasm. But I know what I need even better today, and more so what I don't. Ah, forgive the blatherings of a fellow passing from middle age into senior citizen status.

I think the D-BG2 would make the camera way too large for me also. The K10D is already bigger than the K100D I'm used to now, and I don't find the K100D undersized. It's like when I was using a K1000 and an MX in the old days. Quite a size difference but the adjustment wasn't difficult to make. Then again, I did attach a power winder to the MX.....
06-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with the K10D although I second the voices for a K20D. I had that one and I still miss its ergonomics, it was by far my favourite Pentax body and although my current K-5 IIs has many IQ improvements over it, I can still look back at my K20D shots with pride and satisfaction.

K10D/K20D - Pentax certainly got it right with those two!

06-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
Just in case you decide the K10 isn't to your liking, I love the K200d & think you might, too.

Coming from the film era, the Super Program w/MEII winder was my favorite. With autofocus film, it was the PZ1p. Much of my satisfaction stemmed from the ergonomics of both cameras, especially with a longer lens attached.

After going through the *istL, K100d, and K100d Super (still have both K100s), in 2009 I purchased a K200d new, and recently purchased another used. Although I also have two newer K-x bodies, the K200d remains as the most comfortable camera I've ever held, especially when needing a long lens.

The K200d is very good up to ISO 800, and is rock solid reliable. Menus are similar to the K100d, but even more intuitive, imho. And I love it's use of AA batteries. I have the optional grip, but the camera is so darn comfortable, I typically go without it unless I want another set of batteries at the ready.

The different look of the K-x CMOS sensor is nice to have (as well as the camera's higher ISO capability), but the older CCD as found in the K200d is a real winner.

I just went and reread dpreview's original review of the K200D and it sounds like the K200D would be a perfect replacement for my K100D should I ever want to do that. Weather sealing is important to me, but both the K10D and K200D have that. They both seemed fine choices. dpreview found that the K10D was slightly lacking in making truly sharp images, while the K200D produced overly sharpened images. Just an opinion, and probably mostly applicable to printing images. Another thing I wanted was an ISO of 100, and only the K10D offered that. The K200D did have a larger rear LCD, but it didn't seem different enough to matter. Most other features were very similar.

At this point, and considering my K100D was purchased new, it would be another hunt for a nice condition K200D, while given my tendencies to care for my cameras, the K100D will probably remain in very good shape for a long time, so I don't know if I'll ever get to a day where it needs replacing. And having three bodies from the same era, for me, a hobbyist, seems unlikely. Especially as I'm winding down somewhat as I enter senior citizen status. Nevertheless, I will keep the K200D in mind if the need--or urge--arises for another body! (I just reminded myself I still have six film bodies, and they weren't all different as night and day. )

---------- Post added 06-30-16 at 10:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Good luck with the K10D although I second the voices for a K20D. I had that one and I still miss its ergonomics, it was by far my favourite Pentax body and although my current K-5 IIs has many IQ improvements over it, I can still look back at my K20D shots with pride and satisfaction.

K10D/K20D - Pentax certainly got it right with those two!

What is your opinion on the K10D's CCD vs the K20D's CMOS sensor? Thank-you.
07-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #21

not much difference between the k10 and k20 senors, k20 does better in low light and high iso, the k10 jpeg engine is lacking and you don't really get the full benefit out of it unless you shoot raw, i shot jpg on the k10 with the sharpness all the way up, still love that camera, i was in ottawa at a camera trade show when it was officially released and was invited to the unveiling by pentax canada to see it first hand, didn't want to let it go.
07-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by homestead65 Quote
not much difference between the k10 and k20 senors, k20 does better in low light and high iso, the k10 jpeg engine is lacking and you don't really get the full benefit out of it unless you shoot raw, i shot jpg on the k10 with the sharpness all the way up, still love that camera, i was in ottawa at a camera trade show when it was officially released and was invited to the unveiling by pentax canada to see it first hand, didn't want to let it go.

I don't shoot much with high ISOs, I'm somewhat pedestrian as a photographer since I converted to digital. I actually wanted the 100 ISO setting on the K10D that my K100D doesn't have.