Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some questions about Live View

There's one function which I've practically never used: Live View. Now with K-1 and it's flexible tilt screen I thought I'd give it a try.

So... how to use it?

How to focus in Live View? And specifically how to choose AF point?

In which situations could this function be useful?

Any special hints and tips?

06-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Live view AF is not subject to front or back focus, unlike viewfinder AF. For the fastest performance, stick to multi point auto or face detection mode. For applications where focus is critical, press the OK button to magnify the image and manually adjust the focus. You can also use select mode to specify a small AF area in a specific location. Press the AF point selection button to make changes.

More info on all this can be found on the AF page of the K-1 review, SL be sure to check that out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
  • Pretty much all low/high angle camera position work
  • Lens resolution testing using magnified view for fine manual focus
  • Focus screen calibration using magnified live view as the gold standard
  • PDAF fine adjustment, again using magnified live view as the gold standard
Be sure you have an extra battery or two with you. LV sucks battery.

Steve
06-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

How to focus in Live View? And specifically how to choose AF point?

You've also got focus peaking which is really helpful when composing on a tripod, using it is really a good way to control your depth of field, it makes it easy to see what is in focus. I think it is especially useful when shooting at night, when auto focus is probably limited anyway.

I prefer to use live view whenever using a tripod and in conjunction with a wireless remote. I don't have a K-1, but I could see using it whenever you could get the camera in a position that would be hard to use the viewfinder, like over a high fence, or yesterday I wanted to take low level photos of a water lily, it would have made it so easy. It's so unique you could even articulate it to avoid a glaring sun on it.

06-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I try to use LV whenever doing macro. Enlarging (use the OK button) and using Focus Peaking is absolutely the best way to insure hitting the focus you want when the DOF is severely limited. It's the only manual focus mechanism that I've found to be superior to the old all-microprism center spot to precision focus for macro work.