Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For whatever it's worth. . . I recently got a K-S2 and 20-40mm Limited lens, and it's been a fantastic combo for me. The new-and-improved K-70 showing up doesn't bother me at all. Saving some money on the body and putting it toward lenses may be a good strategy to consider.

07-01-2016, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
If I were to tell you what you need to get started it would be...
1 good camera
1 kit lens
1 prime lens

Go for the K-70 with kit lens like the 18-50 or the 18-135. If you have some extra cash, get the DA 50mm 1.8 or the DA 35mm 2.4.

This will let you grow with the camera and keep your investment a bit longer. Also, you will be apart of the new Pentax way... Pack all features into entry camera.
Just my two cents. Some people love 50mm lenses on APS-C, and I suppose it's all about shooting style. But I've never found the 75mm focal length very useful, unless you are shooting portraits, and even then it might be a little short.

50mm to me is designed for a full frame camera, where as 35mm gives you that 50mm fov on a KS-2.

Highly recommend going that route for a a fast prime. Preferably the 35mm FA but on a cost to quality ratio the DA 35MM 2.4 is probably every bit as good.

Alternatively, with less edge sharpness, the Sigma 30mm is another good option. Usually you can find these for under $250 used. Faster than the pentax options but the 35mm FA is buy far one of the best 30-35mm lenses on the market under $500 new or used.

07-02-2016, 04:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
50mm to me is designed for a full frame camera, where as 35mm gives you that 50mm fov on a KS-2.
For any system I always prefer to have something close to a true "normal" lens, which is 28mm on APS-C. Unfortunately, Pentax doesn't make a 28mm prime anymore, although the old FA 28mm F2.8 can still be found on fleaBay. Then there's the 31mm F1.8 Limited, if you can get past the price tag! And there's the Sigma 30mm F1.4.

Or you can trade off the aperture for weather seals and a bit of zoom range, and get the 20-40mm Limited, which is where I'm at now.
07-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say for a first lens, get the 18-135 as a kit lens. Five years after buying it, my 18-135 is still my go to every day lens. And you save a pile on it getting it as part of purchase package as a kit lens. In fact I'd be tempted to say, buy the cheapest new 18-135 package you can find. Don't worry about what body. Even though I often go out with my K-3 and long lens for wildlife, I still bring my K-5 and 18-135 along for landscape and candid images. Any body K-5 or newer will provide excellent results.

Advantages of the 18-135. It's the best wide angle to medium telephoto lens with image quality right up there with the best in the wide end and excellent centre sharpness in the long end. If you go for more zoom range, you lose image quality across the whole range of the lens, if you go less zoom ratio, you don't get enough range for a walk around lens, or to discover what your shooting preferences are.

The pseudo macro function will have you taking top quality macro images should you come to enjoy that kind of thing. Perfect for flowers etc, and taking it out to 135mm gives you way more control of background through narrowing the field of view than the normal kit or any zoom like the 20-40 or 17-50 type zooms.

It's a lens you can build a whole lens stable around. If you choose, after getting your 18-135 and cover the basics, wide angle to telephoto, you can fill in with primes to give yourself better low light capability. The ones I regularly carry would be the 21 ltd., 40 XS, and DA*200 or DA*60-250. Adding the 15 ltd, to that gives you pretty much a complete package. But most days, even though I may carry a lot of extra lenses, the 18-135 is often all I use.

The other advantage to the 18-135 is as a beginner, it will allow you to analyze your images to see what focal lengths you like. Are you wanting more wide angle type shots, 18-35 range are you a mid-normal guy 35-55, or longer lens type of shooter 60-135 mm. You will learn on your 18-135 what you prefer to shoot, which will tell you what your next lens should be.

The only lens I would personally consider using in place of it would be a DA 16-85, but, they aren't available in packages.

There's a reason new cameras come with zooms, not primes. If you don't know what you like, and haven't yet developed a preferred shooting style, cover your bases and don't restrict yourself. With all due respect tot he above posters, buying a prime or a narrow zoom could seriously restrict your photography horizons. If you buy 28mm prime but in fact your preferred shooting length is say 55mm, it is going to take you avery long time to figure that out. You may dump photography because you never figure it out. With a lens like the 18-135 or 16-85, lack of appropriate focal lengths is unlikely to inhibit your growth into a preferred shooting style.

It's just a different philosophy. I bought a DA 35, and for some reason, I just don't like it. I like my 40 XS, and my 21 ltd, but not my DA 35. It rarely ever gets used. Imagine if it was the first lens I ever bought. I might have decided I don't like photogprahy, when infact it would have been that I just don't like 35mm as a focal length. Don't restrict yourself. Allow yourself the freedom to find out what you like experientially.

Last edited by normhead; 07-02-2016 at 05:24 AM.