Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Need help choosing my first camera

Hi

As you can see from the title I am new in the whole photography hobby and I don't actually own DSLR so I would appreciate if you could share your Pentax wisdom and help me chose my entry.

Ok, so until week ago I was sold on the idea of buying K-S2, I really liked the features it has and the overall performance of the camera looked like something I want. But last week I saw the new K-70 model, which looks even better than K-S2.
My question for you is which one is better and why?

06-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest you'll almost always get better image quality from a newer camera of the same class (e.g. entry level) if for no other reason than you have a more-current sensor, which would steer you to the K-70. With that said, my guess is you'll get a better deal on the KS-2 (or a second-hand K5 series) camera, image quality will be more than adequate while you learn, and by spending less now while you try DSLR photography you'll have less invested if you decide it's not for you, or more in your wallet for an upgrade to a higher end camera later if you really take to it.
06-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The Ks-2 is a great camera and the K-70 is a little better.

Also consider the K-3 or used K-5. Both are great cameras.

Less you spend on a camera, more on glass.
06-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Less you spend on a camera, more on glass.
I tend to agree with this statement. As a beginner, the limiting factor is going to be your skill as a photographer. You can always upgrade your camera body once you surpass its abilities, meanwhile you have been building a nice collection of lenses.

06-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is good information here.
Pentax K-70 Release Date, Price and Specs - CNET

My feeling is, the improved high ISO performance and probably I stop better IQ shooing at ISOs over 1000 makes the K-70 look good compared to a K-S2. Bu tit looks like to max out it's video capability you have to buy the new 55-300 to go with it. If you do movies it's worth a look. With 24 MP sensor and the new version of Pentax's PRIME MII processor which adds a stop of sensitivity , that combo could potentially surpass the K-3ii in IQ. Its definitely worth looking at in my mind.

The K-30 came out with AF features that were better than what were in there reigning pro camera, the K-5. Pentax in the past has often introduced features in their mid range cameras that were better than what their high end cameras had. So it wouldn't be impossible.

Of course to be sure, the K-3 replacement will be better than the K-70, which will in some ways be experimental, but when it comes out, the K-70 may well offer the best IQ of any Pentax APS-c camera.

Last edited by normhead; 06-29-2016 at 10:32 AM.
06-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you're new to the game, Why spend more money than you have to to try it all out? The KS2 is an excellent camera and, here, it's selling for $499 vs $646 for the K70. Spend the extra on glass. Then, when you know what you really want or need, you can get a K3 or successor, or a K1.

EDIT: I just re-read your question. If all you actually want to know is "which is better", the answer will almost certainly be the K70, because it's newer and therfore uses improved technology, as mentioned in posts above. But, in my opinion, that shouldn't necessarily be the only criteria for choosing a first camera.
06-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the K-70 turns out to be the next gen K-50, then truly both cameras would be excellent first DSLR. If the $150 that separates the two does not affect your budget in your choice of lenses, then get the K-70. However, if money matters and that $150 difference would go into a lens or a better lens, then the K-S2 makes the most sense.

06-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The best advice that I received when I bought my 1st DSLR 3 or 4 years ago was this:

1) If you buy and end up just playing with your gear occasionally (ie, don't become a diehard photographer), just about any DSRL on the market will do.
2) If you do become diehard, you will eventually outgrow your body. Your glass, however - you will keep.

It was also suggested that anything to "top" end is often less easy to use - entry levels bodies are designed to be easier to use.

Personally, if you were a family member asking, I'd suggest an entry level body brand new (warranty is nice) with a kit lens and go from there.
06-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The problem with buying the K-70 is that early adopters are always the ones who find out at first hand what the teething problems with a new camera are. Even the K-1 has had its share (including an embarrassing failure of the mode switch, whose only saving grace is that it seems to leave the users exclusively in manual mode, from which they can at least have full creative control). If you want to take that risk, fine. Otherwise better to buy a more established, mature design that will hopefully have had the early quality control issues sorted out, initial firmware updates introduced at the factory level, etc. Most DSLRs these days will do 99% of what beginner DSLR users need or want from them.

If I were getting into Pentax at ground level with a lower end model right now, I would almost certainly buy the KS-2. Either that or hold my fire until I knew what the initial users' reports of the K-70 are like.

Example: I thought the K-1 looked fantastic on paper, but what's great on the spec sheet does not always translate into real world use. However, the general gist I'm getting around here is that it's an absolutely fantastic camera to use - some limitations admitted, which I can live with - and therefore it will be my next Pentax. If you're seriously thinking about the K-70, wait until a few people here have bought it and shot with it and see what they think. Professional reviewers sometimes feel beholden to the company that loans them the test camera; people who've paid their own money for it don't have that unstated, unconscious obligation hanging over them.
06-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd vote for the KS-2, that sounds like a great camera for someone to start with - it will let you get technical and learn. The 18-135 if you go that route, is a nice lens, and really a pleasure to use with its motorized focus.
06-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

I think K-S2 will get cut price, so I guess so better to wait a bit to buy body...
06-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I bought a K-S2 three weeks ago and have already put over a thousand clicks through it. I'm loving it. I agonised between getting it and the 18-135mm lens, or a K-3 II body, and I'm glad I went for the lesser body with more glass. Coming from a K-7 I was concerned that the lack of a top LCD and all the dedicated buttons would annoy me but the greater flexibility of the more modern sensor in the K-S2 has pretty much negated the need to be twiddling the ISO all the time as I was with the K-7.

TL;DR the K-S2 is a great camera, and at current prices it's an absolute bargain. Recommended.
06-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If I were to tell you what you need to get started it would be...
1 good camera
1 kit lens
1 prime lens

Go for the K-70 with kit lens like the 18-50 or the 18-135. If you have some extra cash, get the DA 50mm 1.8 or the DA 35mm 2.4.

This will let you grow with the camera and keep your investment a bit longer. Also, you will be apart of the new Pentax way... Pack all features into entry camera.
06-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Personally, if I were a beginner now, knowing what I know now, I would get a cheap second hand DSLR with a kit lens, keep the rest of the cash in my savings account, and spend a year learning the skills, learning how I like to work and what subjects I like to shoot. Only then would I decide what kit I want, sell what I have, withdraw my savings, and spend it on something that I know I need, rather than what other people think I might need.

In the meantime you might find it's not for you, or go down an unexpected road, and you might have spent 1000s on unwanted kit finding that out.

Last edited by victormeldrew; 06-29-2016 at 02:08 PM.
06-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both cameras meet your needs. Both will outperform most people. I'd lean towards Adam's advice. K70 if the extra money is there and allows similar lens selection. Otherwise ks2. Used is another option.

If you buy new be sure to get the extended warranty from Pentax $(20).