Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

New addition to my kit arrived today, yes. A little guidance needed please

Hi everyone, i have just returned from my trip to Samos to find that my AF360 waiting for me and my K10D As soon as i get to the PP of the images i made on my trip ill post some samples, only 4000 to deal with, will i ever see daylight again?

Well i have read the manual and played with the AF360 today. My primary interest is with the wireless P-ttl and have to say, i think everything functions as it should My questions.

Whilst in wireless P-ttl mode is the A zoom setting an option or must i stick with the M zoom setting?

Will the camera or flash in some way indicate that enough light will/will not be available for the shot?

I cannot seem to get the HS mode to work in wireless P-ttl, I cant pass 1/180 with M mode set on the K10D. Even if i set the Shutter speed beyond 1/180 when the shutter is pressed the lcd indicates the shot was taken at 1/180.

Hope you can clear these points up for me.

As always best wishes to all

Peter

07-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Found some great video tutorials

for pentax flash here

Pentax Digital SLR Cameras :: Flashes :: AF360FGZ

However they do not help with my questions above, but anyway always something to learn.

Regards

Peter
07-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, I guess you can't get faster shutter speeds than 1/180 with wireless flash because the fastest sync speed on the K10D is 1/180. There's nothing you can do about that I guess... (other than wait for Pentax to release a body with faster sync)
07-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Well, I guess you can't get faster shutter speeds than 1/180 with wireless flash because the fastest sync speed on the K10D is 1/180. There's nothing you can do about that I guess... (other than wait for Pentax to release a body with faster sync)
High Speed Synch should be available, but as the speed of the shutter goes up the range of the flash goes down because it is strobing to expose the entire frame.

07-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
High Speed Synch should be available, but as the speed of the shutter goes up the range of the flash goes down because it is strobing to expose the entire frame.
From what I understand High Speed Synch is not available when using wireless flash. At least that is what my manual says about the k10d. You have to have the flash mounted in the hot shoe for HSS.
07-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your camera has a maximum of a 1/180/sec sync speed. That's it. You can set it lower if you wish, and I frequently do if I'm using off-camera manual flash. For older film cameras, you were doing good to get 1/60...some synced at 1/30. Some other DSLR's can attain higher sync speeds because they have electronic shutters rather than mechanical. Our Pentaxes are limited to 1/180.