Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Potential upgrades from a K110D

A few years ago I got a barely used K110D for a very good price -- and I love it. I love that its not very hard to use with old manual film lenses, and I have a few "A" lenses that can use some of its more automatic exposure features. And I really don't think having only 6 megapixel resolution is all THAT uncool. As for AF, I don't have any of those lenses yet, and the ones I see that look affordable don't seem true steps up from what I have, beyond the potential for sometimes focusing faster than I can.

However, if I w e r e to c o n s i d e r upgrading above the *istD, K100D, K110D level of Pentax DSLRs, what incremental step up would be the most affordable? In other words, what model or models, that would have some better features than my K110D (without sacrificing any backward compatibility with old lenses), might sometimes be available at real bargain basement prices. If such DSLRs exist, I might want to keep watch for them.

I should add that before asking this I did spend some time looking in the Camera information section of website, and what I was able to find didn't organize the information in a way that made it easy for me to answer this question on my own. I realize that area is being redesigned. Certainly, if there is a helpful chart of something like that I did not find, I'd be grateful for any links.

07-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
(without sacrificing any backward compatibility with old lenses)
This part you can forget about. The K-1, newest of the new, is still completely backward compatible. I use it with 'A' lenses as well as M42 lenses which are even older. So any Pentax K-mount camera will be fine.

From your post it is not all that clear what you are trying to achieve. Autofocus does not seem to be a priority. More mega-pixels is not a priority. So what features are you looking for?
07-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All Pentax DSLRs can use the older lenses. I have recently moved from a K10D to a K-3 without losing the use of the M 400/5.6, M100/4 macro or Takumar 55/1.8 (with adapter to screw mount of course). Any of the newer ones would upgrade your camera features. I bought the K10D new in 2007, and only moved up to the K-3 when it started to show the age of the innards. It froze up several times requiring a battery out restart, and I had put aside enough money to buy the K-3 used. The thing I notice the most is going from CCD sensor that showed excessive noise at 800 ISO to the K-3 is the noise level is way lower with the CMOS sensor. In common with others, I prefer the low ISO colours on the CCD sensor in the K10 to the colours on the CMOS sensor. On the other hand, getting to be able to use higher ISO numbers is a huge benefit.
07-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Pentax K-50

Recently discontinued, 16 megapixel camera with a great feature set, you can find it new for around $300.

the other new, currently produced consumer dslr is the K-s2, which adds a couple of features like wi-fi, an aritculating screen, 20mp sensor. But from what you're saying, I don't think that matters for your uses, and the K-50 would be a great fit.

07-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would really recommend you get one of the 16MP sensor cameras (K-30, K-50, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs) or newer (K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3II). The K-50 is probably a great choice. K-S1 is another good, affordable super compact choice. Even a used K-5 series can be found for good prices. K-S2 is well-liked. The K-30 has a good following, but some develop a problem (you can check its subforum for details)
K-50 and K-S1 seem like good, affordable, reliable choices. K-S1 is not WR, but you don't need WR for older manual lenses anyway, since the lenses are not WR.

Why 16MP and newer? Because these cameras have great ISO noise performance, live view, most have WR, they have good backwards compatibility, and a good amount of MP. The sensor industry has some sort of steps, leaps, and the 16MP was a rather big step in terms of noise, dynamic range.
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
he thing I notice the most is going from CCD sensor that showed excessive noise at 800 ISO to the K-3 is the noise level is way lower with the CMOS sensor. In common with others, I prefer the low ISO colours on the CCD sensor in the K10 to the colours on the CMOS sensor. On the other hand, getting to be able to use higher ISO numbers is a huge benefit.
Yes, for higher ISO is a big issue. And I think the colours can be fixed by shooting raw and proper post processing, or just using a jpeg mode like Film reversal. But many people say the CCD sensor colours are special, so what do I know

That said, for manual lenses and old film lenses, you might want to consider the brand new, slightly pricier (though still fairly priced) K-1. It has an FF sensor. This means the sensor is as big as 35mm film, so you can use your old lenses to their full potential. APSC sensors don't use the corners of those lenses, so the apparent FoV changes. Top of the line camera, Pentax flagship, should last you for a long, long time.
07-03-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

what incremental step up would be the most affordable?
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
slightly pricier (though still fairly priced) K-1
K-1 would be great, but not the definition of affordable for most people
07-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's your budget? I was able to extend the usability of my K100D by purchasing an OM-E53 eyepiece magnifier. It makes using manual focus lenses much easier, especially with the K100D's smaller pentamirror VF (same as your K110's). For about $200 you can upgrade to a used K5, which would see you through for many years.

07-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
K-1 would be great, but not the definition of affordable for most people
Oh, I know. I can't afford one myself But I still recognize its price as being fairly good. Its not an overpriced piece of gear, the prices aren't bloated. Even if you compare introductory price to other brand cameras with similar sensor and specifications. Still, obviously not for everyone. But it does give the most, especially if you already have FF glass.
07-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K10D is the highest resolution CCD based sensor camera that Pentax made as far as I recall. It is weather sealed and has a battery grip option. It will render colors in a way that is what you are used to more than modern CMOS sensors. That is not to say that the more modern CMOS sensors are not great - they are.

The K50 and others mentioned above are great 16mp cameras. That was the step I took from my K100D Super. The K100D Super was a fantastic camera for me but the jump to the K50 was awesome - I lost the top LCD but gained a ton of higher ISO performance and weather sealing and better autofocus and a brighter viewfinder.

K10D is the cheapest upgrade I think you might like. The K20D is very similar but with a CMOS sensor. The K30/K50 are basically the same and add a lot of nice features but lose a few like the top LCD. The KS-1 is a nice camera recently discontinued that has a very nice 20mp sensor and is very small. The KS-2 is the same but adds more subdued styling and weather resistance and a tilt/swivel LCD.

The options are numerous. The budget restrictions will help narrow things a bit.
07-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A few years ago I got a barely used K110D for a very good price -- and I love it. I love that its not very hard to use with old manual film lenses, and I have a few "A" lenses that can use some of its more automatic exposure features. And I really don't think having only 6 megapixel resolution is all THAT uncool. As for AF, I don't have any of those lenses yet, and the ones I see that look affordable don't seem true steps up from what I have, beyond the potential for sometimes focusing faster than I can.

However, if I w e r e to c o n s i d e r upgrading above the *istD, K100D, K110D level of Pentax DSLRs, what incremental step up would be the most affordable? In other words, what model or models, that would have some better features than my K110D (without sacrificing any backward compatibility with old lenses), might sometimes be available at real bargain basement prices. If such DSLRs exist, I might want to keep watch for them.

I should add that before asking this I did spend some time looking in the Camera information section of website, and what I was able to find didn't organize the information in a way that made it easy for me to answer this question on my own. I realize that area is being redesigned. Certainly, if there is a helpful chart of something like that I did not find, I'd be grateful for any links.
It's hard to beat the value of the K-50. That would be my recommendation, unless your budget is higher, in which case you could look at a K-5 II/IIs or K-3, which were from the flagship line, or the K-S2, the current premium entry level offering.

Technology has really moved forward quite a bit since 2005 and you'll see a HUGE improvement in image quality by upgrading to any of these. Even the SR alone will make the upgrade worthwhile

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Technology has really moved forward quite a bit since 2005 and you'll see a HUGE improvement in image quality by upgrading to any of these. Even the SR alone will make the upgrade worthwhile
As a former K110D owner I can ditto that. Even my move from that to the K100D-Super was a huge eye-opener. My daughter's K30 would blow the K110D straight out of the water and my current K-5 IIs might as well come from another galaxy (even though it itself is already considered old technology).

If you come across any of the K-series mentioned before at a fair price, grab it and you'll be more than pleasantly surprised!
07-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #12

Photos: Albums

Hi again,

Like several other contributors I must put up my hand for the K50 if you can find one at a good price. I returned to photography after a long break and was sold on the K50s feature set, particularly the weatherproofing which is always handy here in the Green Desert of wet Wales. The image quality is fantastic for such a reasonably priced camera, it is also fairly light and quite tough. Like other contributors have already said, the whole range of Pentax lens from the 1970s onwards are compatible and the new DA glass works really well. I bought new one a few years ago when it was first released, and when I moved onward and upward to my K3 I gave it to my elder daughter, I then I had to buy another for my younger daughter to head off a civil war! My younger daughter's "significant other" who is an astrophysics student at the University of Liverpool, now keeps borrowing her K50 to photograph the Milky Way from the observatory on Tenerife with stunning effect. The low light/ high iso performance was an utter revelation to someone like me who thought an iso400 film was really fast.

And you can buy it in gloss red which why my daughter wanted it in the first place.

The photo below was taken by my daughter with her K50 and a WR 18-55 kit lens this weekend, as I said earlier the weatherproofing is useful. :-)

Best wishes,

Nick.
Attached Images

07-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Some more K50 photos, not that we are trying to twist your arm or anything! :-)

Notice the flying rock top right which Max the dog is about to chase and the black with white dots is a photo of the Andromeda galaxy at ISO1600.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nickrs; 07-03-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added text
07-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This part you can forget about. The K-1, newest of the new, is still completely backward compatible. I use it with 'A' lenses as well as M42 lenses which are even older. So any Pentax K-mount camera will be fine....
While I do know that as a general rule all Pentax DSLRs are backward compatible with respect to using old K-mount and M42 lenses, what I do not know -- and my reason for noting the issue in my post -- is whether certain models among the many that have come out since the K110D might be less friendly to old lenses or less suited to using them somehow. Perhaps some model might have fewer manual exposure related settings, or perhaps some model might have a flimsier mount that could be endangered by connecting it to a lens weighing 2 pounds. I don't know those particulars about those many models, but I assumed that other Pentaxians here would know if any models had such issues, despite their being technically backward compatible.
07-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

NOPE! Pentax is known for backwards comparability. All of us here are going to sway you towards newer cameras with newer sensors as IQ has made a major leap forward since the K-5 and K-30 generations. You can't go wrong with Pentax these days and using old lenses is no problem at all.

I would say budget cameras K-50 and K-S2 pack a huge punch for their price.
If you have some money to burn, consider the K-5 series, K-3 series, or the NEW FF BEAST K-1.