Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It will take some time for me to save up the cash for even a K10, so I will have a lot of time to read up more on the subject. Then when the camera fund begins to approach a workable amount, more reading and comparing of what purchase options might actually be available on the marketplace here or elsewhere will be necessary.

Very recently Mark Freburg was considering upgrading from his K100D, but already knew the models he needed to compare were the K10D and the K200D:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/324525-k10d-k200d.html

Here is a K-5 review section illuminatingly comparing it to the K-7:
www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k5/pentax-k-7-vs-k-5.html

Your responses help me realize that I need to read those pages.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 07-05-2016 at 03:23 PM.
07-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
* A K-5 might usually be out of my price range but might be the most affordable 16mpx CMOS model I could hope for if luck or slightly better fortune smiled on me..
I'd be tempted to wait for a k-5, penny pinching to save up camera funds in the meantime to help get to this goal sooner.

I went from a k100d to a then new but recently discontinued k5iis and it was a big enough jump in performance and features to be worth it for me:
  • The lithium battery pack completely rocks compared to 4xAA. And yes, I've used all brands of eneloops, quality high capacity nimh + quality smart charger. "Battery management" is pretty much a thing of the past
  • Honest to goodness 2-touch mirror lock up and bulb modes rule
  • Lit top LCD
  • Even larger viewfinder
  • iso 80
  • Size and weight is not dramatically different from the k100d - noticeable but easy to get used to
  • AF that's worth a damn... note that the k5ii are supposed to be improved over the k5, but either will be much better than the k100d series. It's pretty sick how well it can focus on stuff in low light (not high speed, but accurate)
  • Higher iso is significantly better, maybe 2 stops when viewed at 1:1, maybe 3 when downsampled to the same print size - I think that 16mp cmos sensor is pretty awesome
  • Much less menu diving
  • I'm sure more things I've come to take for granted

I figure go for the biggest upgrade you can afford and if you're happy with your current camera don't be shy about waiting - I used my k100d for over 7 years. Prices always come down, and you can keep adding pennies to the camera fund as time marches on. General advice would be different if your current equipment is failing or frustrating you in a way that an upgrade could alleviate.
07-06-2016, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
BrianR, I think I would be very happy with a K10D or K200D, but I'll have to save up quite a while to get to the price for one of them, so when I get close to that, it will be worth considering whether I want to hold out for a K5 or K5ii.

I did read that the autofocus system is better in the K5ii, not so much in speed as in accurately adjusting for different lenses. Not an issue for me while I have no autofocus lenses, but, if I get one eventually, having a camera that might have difficulty with that lens could be a pain in the butt.

From what I can tell, now and then a body-only K-5 (I don't know about the ii-models) might go for somewhere between $200 and the $160 I have imagined as my price ceiling. Of course with lenses and lots of other bundled goodies, they are way more.

I'd probably hang onto the K110D for a while after an upgrade. In fact doing some comparison tests, using both during the same photo outing, for example, might help me understand better how to appreciate the upgrade!,

- - -

I just ran across nomadking's post in this other thread < https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/324389-k10d-raw-...ml#post3689705 > that does seem to confirm the notion that the next real step up from the K10 is the K-5...except perhaps for diehard CCD sensor fans. They sound like people dedicated to a particular film back in the old days. I get it -- they know what they like and how to use it.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 07-06-2016 at 07:59 AM.
07-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were going with an older camera, I'd at least look for something with a pentaprism viewfinder. Pentamirrors are dismal.

07-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

BrianR, I think I would be very happy with a K10D or K200D,...
I wouldn't bother with a k200d. Nothing wrong with it (it's great, my sister has one), but personally I wouldn't consider it a worthwhile upgrade to your k110d unless one falls on your lap for next to nothing. Definitely listen to Tony about the pentaprism. While the k100/200 had great viewfinders for their price range when they came out, your manual focusing and your eye in general will appreciate one of the pentaprism models.

I've never even held a k10d, so can't comment. Its extra features may make it worthwhile if the price is right.
07-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Since I am unlikely to make the upgrade purchase very soon, I thought I would start spending some quality time with the K10D Club discussion thread, as well as with any comparable K5/k5ii discussions. It is interesting to discover that some of the diehard K10D users are not people who have just refused to upgrade, but are instead people who did upgrade to K5s and beyond, but find that, when lens, light, and subject matter permit the use of iso 100 (or even up to 400), the K10D is still their first choice camera to grab! Now that is quite a testimonial for a camera, which based on the date of its birth and on awareness of technological progression, might be considered long obsolete. It would seem to be for many photographers who know it an indisputable classic, and well worth using now and, as one poster put it, "until I die." This is a great site for getting to look at a lot of pictures taken with all of these camera choices, so that can be another useful part of the comparison.
07-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I am unlikely to make the upgrade purchase very soon, I thought I would start spending some quality time with the K10D Club discussion thread, as well as with any comparable K5/k5ii discussions. It is interesting to discover that some of the diehard K10D users are not people who have just refused to upgrade, but are instead people who did upgrade to K5s and beyond, but find that, when lens, light, and subject matter permit the use of iso 100 (or even up to 400), the K10D is still their first choice camera to grab! Now that is quite a testimonial for a camera, which based on the date of its birth and on awareness of technological progression, might be considered long obsolete. It would seem to be for many photographers who know it an indisputable classic, and well worth using now and, as one poster put it, "until I die." This is a great site for getting to look at a lot of pictures taken with all of these camera choices, so that can be another useful part of the comparison.
I have always wanted to try the K10D and plan to add one at some point if the whim and money intersect at that same moment.

07-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K10D worked very well for a long time. Check out my Flickr site - most of the images are K10D. I owned it from November 2007. I still love the low ISO colours of the CCD sensor, but being more interested in chasing birds and animals than scenery (although I take those pictures as well) when my K10D (probably had 50,000 or more on it - I kept nearly 20,000) started acting up and I got some bonus money I spent C$525 on a lightly used K-3.

The K-3 is much better for some things, but last weekend in the Devonian Gardens near Edmonton Alberta, I would have been just as happy with the K10D - and didn't have quite so much PP to do to get the colours I wanted.
07-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some of the K10D users compare the colors to Velvia film. I remember looking at a number of Velvia pictures at another forum a few years ago, and I have to admit I see the resemblance.

Even if I save up enough (eventually) for a K5, it seems that the old K10D couldn't just be dismissed out of hand. It will take some pondering about how important the high iso capabilities of the K5 could be for me...and I suppose what sense of security might come from moving to a dslr less than 10 years old.
07-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of the K10D users compare the colors to Velvia film.
I'm one of them. Velvia 50 was my favourite film. I guess I just love those special greens. I liken the K-3 output more towards Kodachrome 25. Punchy but natural. I set my JPG rendition to natural and do any other punchy in post.
07-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #41

Like you, I started with a K110D I bought 2nd hand with less than 3000 shots on it. I used it for a couple of years and was very happy with it. Then I upgraded to a K200D that also had less than 3000 clicks. I really enjoy using that camera and still use it now and again. Then last year, I bought a K-30 from a forum member. Based on what "new" features I wanted and which cameras had them, the K-30/K-50 was the next logical progression for me.
07-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My progression was K100D Super (used) to new K-50 many years later. Then about a year later K-3. I still have my K100D super and a K100D plain. My K-50 was traded for a Panasonic GX7.
07-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My progression was K100D Super (used) to new K-50 many years later. Then about a year later K-3. I still have my K100D super and a K100D plain. My K-50 was traded for a Panasonic GX7.
Early in the thread, people were recommending the K-50, but not so much after I provided a specific price range. The K-5 is on occasion nudging closer to that price ceiling than the K-50 does, though it too is averaging above it.... Of course, there might be the option to raise the ceiling later.
07-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Early in the thread, people were recommending the K-50, but not so much after I provided a specific price range. The K-5 is on occasion nudging closer to that price ceiling than the K-50 does, though it too is averaging above it.... Of course, there might be the option to raise the ceiling later.
I still think the k10d is a great update. I skipped it but I wish I had been able to try it.
07-09-2016, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #45
Forum Member

I bought a 110 three years ago. After thirty years shooting film, I was less than thrilled. I nearly decided to chuck it all. Now that I'm near retirement age, my wife told me that I need to find something to do with myself.

I recently picked up a K-50 and a 18-135 zoomie. I don't think I'll ever look back. And, best of all, if she whines about the money spent, I can say it was all her idea!