Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 10d focus tuning

I have just got done doing a physical focus tune on my Pentax 10d .I tuned it to work with 50 mm lens as it was severely back focusing. Here is how, remove the bottom and when the camera is upside down the are thee hexagonal screws,go with the front one towards the lens mount /Adjust it either clockwise or counterclockwise.Just remember how many revolutions you did and in what direction in case you need to un-. due it,.

07-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you try adjusting the AF fine tuning from the hidden service menu first, as per this thread?: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/3158-k10d-servic...af-adjust.html

I can only assume adjusting that screw is mechanically moving sensor closer to / further away from the mount, in which case even if you *think* you have moved the screw back to its original position, the chances of returning the sensor to *exactly* the original position are pretty slim... so you risk throwing all your other lenses into back or front focus...

I could be wrong, of course.

(EDIT: thread moved from General Talk to Pentax DSLR Discussion)
07-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Did you try adjusting the AF fine tuning from the hidden service menu first, as per this thread?: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/3158-k10d-servic...af-adjust.html

I can only assume adjusting that screw is mechanically moving sensor closer to / further away from the mount, in which case even if you *think* you have moved the screw back to its original position, the chances of returning the sensor to *exactly* the original position are pretty slim... so you risk throwing all your other lenses into back or front focus...

I could be wrong, of course.

(EDIT: thread moved from General Talk to Pentax DSLR Discussion)
Yes I know about the debug menu and fine tuning it, but it was back focusing on every lens ,So in the service manual they say to calibrate it using a 50 mm lens. So I did and it worked like a charm.
07-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

OK. Cool

07-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK. Cool
Yeah got sick of going into debug to make it right, the results are marvelous .
07-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need to do that with mine...

Edit: turns out my AF is fine, the F 50 1.7 focus well (as expected) unless it misses focus... I had to get it to test the K10D since the K10D pretty much only uses manual lenses, and the Tokina 19-35 3.5-4.5 which has a wider focus area, so it's not really a good reference. What I have a problem with, apparently, is my diopter - to use my manual lenses I have to turn the diopter almost all the way to the right. I have no idea if that would be fixable... the problem is that the viewfinder image gets smaller as you go to the right, and focusing gets harder, so an O-ME53 might be needed...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 07-08-2016 at 12:45 PM.