Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Time to let k30 go...

Been doing quite a bit more videos and it may be time to upgrade. Also over past 4 years i've noticed that the damn thing never wants to focus where i need it to, is that common between other users? Also finally noticed how nice it is to have an lcd that pops out and pivots after seeing friends Canon.

Has this been addressed on the new K1? Any input woudl be great thanks!

07-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have not had any missed focus stuff with my K1. It will even focus when I can barely see.
07-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_s14 Quote
Also finally noticed how nice it is to have an lcd that pops out and pivots after seeing friends Canon.
Well, it doesn't exactly "pop out and pivot", but it is adjustable, see here: Pentax K-1 Review - Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

(Scroll down to "The Screen" section)
07-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-s2 could be a better choice with its fully flip screen. It's still a Pentax so video is not emphasized, so even a few-yr-old mirrorless is a more versatile video camera. For under $200 you can get a used ePL5 with tip screen, and see what you think of it.

07-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What You gonna Do with Your K-30 ?
07-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I second the K-s2 and K-70 suggestion. These cameras could be a better fit for you. Also, the price may swing you that way. The K-1 is an amazing camera, but might be a bit of an extreme investment depending on your use.

If you need the K-1, it is a very capable camera and you should buy it. Otherwise, just get the K-s2 or K-70
07-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Been doing quite a bit more videos and it may be time to upgrade. Also over past 4 years i've noticed that the damn thing never wants to focus where i need it to, is that common between other users? Also finally noticed how nice it is to have an lcd that pops out and pivots after seeing friends Canon.

I've been using a K-30 for roughly a year now, so I have several comments based on my experience:

(1) Do you use a shallow DOF? {say, an f-stop of f/4 or less}?
I tend to use a deeper DOF {typically around f/8} and very few of my pictures have been ruined by being out-of-focus.
The time I was really surprised was last week when my wife and I were touring Old Quebec; when taking a picture in a museum, I couldn't get the camera to focus - and then I discovered that it was set on MF! I couldn't remember when I had set it that way, so in the evening I painstakingly looked at image after image ... and couldn't find any showing signs of being out-of-focus. Someone here will probably make a comment about my ability to recognize out-of-focus, but the fact is that all of the other pictures were taken out doors, where the subjects were probably thirty meters {I was in Canada, after all, where metric is king} or more from me, and at f/8 virtually everything will fit within the DOF unless the lens is focused on something quite near.

(2) One of the big advantages to a tilting LCD is taking clandestine pictures {the subject(s) might think you're looking down at controls when you're actually framing your shot}. From my perspective, a tilting mechanism {like what the K-1 uses} is much better than an articulating mechanism {like used on Rebel and other Canon cameras} because the articulating mechanism kind of quietly announces itself by sticking out from the side of the camera, while the tilting screen blends in with the top of the camera from the subject's POV..

07-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would read the VIDEO section of all of the K-1 and K-70 reviews you can find. The K-70 has a new set of features that seem much more video focused than past cameras. However I have not read much about the K-1 video capabilities since it is very low on my list of priorities with cameras.
07-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never had focus issues on my K-30. I almost never use live view. Not sure if you do or not but if so I'm not sure how the camera can know where you want it to focus. :P
07-07-2016, 02:04 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Newer models offer a lot more focus options. Specifically, the K-1 (along with the K-5 II, K-S2, K-3/K-3 II) can focus in really low light down to -3EV, and it has more focus points and more point modes for you to choose from.

All this is described in the AF section of the PF K-1 review.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: