Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

As to Nikon, according to Ken Rockwell (text) here Nikon Lens Compatibility, and (table) here Nikon Lens Compatibility, matrix metering can be an issue when mounting AI, AI-s and other lenses to D80 and up bodies. Pre-AI lenses (manufactured 1959 - 1977) must be physically converted to AI by a machine shop to mount at all. Most manual lenses have limited functionality, just like older Pentax manual lenses. The same kind of table for Pentax bayonet-mount lenses is available here Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features
Nikon's AI & AIS will not meter on DSLR which are lower in the range than the D200. Moreover, D40, D40x and D60 will not AF with lenses that do not have AF-S. That's a motor; Sigma's abbreviation is HSM and Canon's USM.

That's was not the point. You still don't need an adapter to mount Nikon's lenses on its bodies. I was talking about the lenses which were in production since 1959.

Here's a compatibility list.
Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

If you go to Dimitrov's website you'd find that Pentax changed its mount a couple of times. Of course there will be more inconsistencies.

Going back to the subject of the topic. If one wants to take photos choose several lenses from the current line up.
If you are more of a collector, then playing and experimenting with older lenses can be fun too.

07-20-2008, 02:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alexgn: You seem very unhappy that someone has an alternate opinon to you.

My mechanic has a gazillion tools that he uses occasionally for certain purposes but mostly he too gets by with two or three. It is just good to have the others in case... There is a lot of fun in having a range of lenses - check out the "Post your Gear" thread. Comes down to personal style, interest and purpose.

Have a search on Mike's images captured with mostly Takumars and manual mode. Hinman and others are doing similar things. Check out the Takumar club and Offbrand lenses club and see what is possible with these museum pieces.

For some of us, using old glass is far more fun per dollar than using the more recent lenses. It is only a very small expense to see for yourself rather than buying into the "most recent is best" paradigm that is sold by some camera companies.
07-20-2008, 02:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Going back to the subject of the topic. If one wants to take photos choose several lenses from the current line up.
If you are more of a collector, then playing and experimenting with older lenses can be fun too.
If people choose to use lenses other than DA lenses then thats their choice. It does not mean they are experimenting or just playing around as you seem to be saying, these guys could teach all newcomers a good lesson or two in the art of photography

Also I dont see much difference in your advice to choose several lenses from the currect line up and be classed as a person taking photos from a person who chooses over a number of years to have in their possession 16 or so lenses which you indicate it meaning they are a collector of museum articles.

I actually admire the dedication and devotion from the guys who use old glass... knowledge of an art that needs to be kept active.
07-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Alexgn: You seem very unhappy that someone has an alternate opinon to you.
I am expressing my opinion just as everybody else. The best tool for the job - that's how I see it. If you think old lenses are cheap, think of the time you will spend on getting to know and finding workarounds for the issues related to incompatibilities. Perhaps, spending more time correcting images using software on your computer too.

I also stated that you if you like experimenting with older equipment on new bodies that can be fun too. For some people...

07-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
If people choose to use lenses other than DA lenses then thats their choice. It does not mean they are experimenting or just playing around as you seem to be saying, these guys could teach all newcomers a good lesson or two in the art of photography

Also I dont see much difference in your advice to choose several lenses from the currect line up and be classed as a person taking photos from a person who chooses over a number of years to have in their possession 16 or so lenses which you indicate it meaning they are a collector of museum articles.

I actually admire the dedication and devotion from the guys who use old glass... knowledge of an art that needs to be kept active.
If you are so dedicated you may just stick to film, and develop it yourself in your bathroom too.
07-20-2008, 03:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
If you are so dedicated you may just stick to film, and develop it yourself in your bathroom too

Thats a choice of the user.

Just as its a choice to use lenses suited for DSLR and Film.

If people like and prefer such lenses and use them for either film only or for digital only or both I see no problem whatsoever.

I have just purchased my first 2 FA lenses and eagerly await their arrival.
07-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alexgn Quote
If you think old lenses are cheap, think of the time you will spend on getting to know and finding workarounds for the issues related to incompatibilities.
I do think they're cheap....primarily because they are cheap. Time spent getting to know and finding workarounds for incompatibilities is damned close to zero.

QuoteQuote:
Perhaps, spending more time correcting images using software on your computer too.
Let me guess.....you've never actually used Takumars yourself. If you had you'd realize how stupid that sounds.

QuoteQuote:
I also stated that you if you like experimenting with older equipment on new bodies that can be fun too. For some people...
So who is experimenting? These are my go-to daily shooting lenses. You sound a little miffed that there might be some people out there who manage to shoot some nice photos without having plunked down the scratch that you did.
07-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am expressing my opinion just as everybody else. The best tool for the job - that's how I see it. .
My set of M, A, FA, and screw mount lenses are the best tools for the job if you are talking about IQ regardless of cost. No metering problems either if you understand the equipment. And they will work on a FF sensor IF Pentax brings one to the table. Just because they are old and cheap does not mean they not equal to or in some case superior to the newer lenses.

Ken

07-20-2008, 06:03 AM   #24
Pentaxian

So much of using gear becomes automatic muscle memory as with touch typing. If you have to think it seems awkward. Each camera owner thinks their system is ergonomically sound but awitching to an alternate system is awkward and nonergonomic. This is often expressed in brand based forums re alternate cameras.

I think this is the origin of the "I don't want to use the green/AE-L button" attitude. I was using my new Macro takumar 50mm lens today and found that the green button step was a non issue as my thumb just measured as necessary. using the full M system and manually focussing is a doddle with the Takumars as with other lenses people mention.
07-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteQuote:
If you go to Dimitrov's website you'd find that Pentax changed its mount a couple of times. Of course there will be more inconsistencies.
pentax has changed its mount three, 3 times, since their first camera. only two times if you count it from the first 'Pentax' camera. the last change was 1975. pentax has the best backwards compatibility of any current major SLR manufacturer. period. the only thing they would have to do to allow 100% compatibility with pre A series K mounts is put the stop down coupler back in their camera's, but the lenses can still be used with correct metering. I think some of you need to check your definition of 'backwards compatibility' as you seem to be confusing it with 'forwards compatibility'.
07-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Power zoom functions do not work on any early bodies (pre SDM)... and if I remember not all of the functions on post SDM bodies. Small nit
you are correct, the only real working function on a power zoom is the power to the zoom ring.

non of the preset focal length functions, image size tracking or soom through the exposure work. Not even the function to return the lens to the minimum length (i.e. middle of the zoom range and infinity focus) works and is supported.

I was a little disappointed in this because the K10D was advertised as supporting power zoom and pentax quietly let this drop.
07-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I know a professional photographer who only has 2-3 lenses on his MF camera; he makes a living from selling images captured on these lenses.

Why do you need to have 16 lenses? Are you collecting them?
This is why we have more than one lens.

PDML Swag: Photo by Photographer David Brooks - photo.net

Dave
07-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Just because they are old and cheap does not mean they not equal to or in some case superior to the newer lenses.

I agree regken

Alexgn begs to differ as he has tried to explain his case in this thread refered to below

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/31731-smc-p-fa-31m...le-lens-4.html.

Neil

Last edited by nulla; 07-20-2008 at 05:05 PM.
07-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I know a professional photographer who only has 2-3 lenses on his MF camera; he makes a living from selling images captured on these lenses.

Why do you need to have 16 lenses? Are you collecting them?
You are absolutely right - I don't need 16 lenses.

I'm not a professional, dispassionate about stuff, owning only the stuff necessary to earn a living.

I'm not a collector.

I'm an enthusiast.

I use the stuff I like to use.

I like to use old stuff. I've owned most of the old stuff since it was new stuff.

It gives better IQ than all but the absolute BEST new stuff.

I can't afford that stuff.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-20-2008 at 12:44 PM.