Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Purchased "New Leaf " extended warranty with "Drops and Spills" for K-1.....Thoughts

I purchased my K-1 from Adorama last month and included the "New Leaf Extended 3yr Warranty" with ""Accidental Drops and Spills" coverage for $78.
However upon reading the fine print of what IS covered and what is NOT covered......there seems to be some very Vague Language .....???
In one part it says accidental Drops and Spills is covered.......then they say water or liguid damage is NOT covered...... Or only covered at Their Discretion ?
I simply don't feel at all comfortable with wordage like this and a very Vague terminology with lots of "Holes" they could escape from coverage IF and WHEN they need to......at Their discretion simply leaves way too much leeway and wiggle room to NOT honor a Claim if ever needed.......I Don't have a Good Feeling about it now at all after reading the "Fine Print" and think its a waste of money in leu of the Pentax 3 year Manufacturers Warranty.

http://www.adorama.com/nldia3u2k.html?RRref=productPage

What do my fellow Pentaxians think about this ?

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 07-07-2016 at 01:35 PM.
07-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some third-party warranties are better than others. In particular, SquareTrade seems to get very high reviews. Not too many dissatisfied customers based on the Adorama review, either. Incidental damage coverage at 2/3 of the OEM warranty price is nice!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My experience with third party warranties is with RVs. Keep in mind they are essentially insurance policies rather than warranties. I find it is always best to read for what they do not cover rather than what they cover.

Also, you probably are required to get prior approval for any work done. That requires some back-and-forth before an okay is given.

It may be different for cameras, but I suspect not.
07-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Some third-party warranties are better than others. In particular, SquareTrade seems to get very high reviews. Not too many dissatisfied customers based on the Adorama review, either. Incidental damage coverage at 2/3 of the OEM warranty price is nice!
Very True Adam. However its a quite new company and there isn't really any Review yet based on actual usage , just purchase reviews.

No offense to Adorama or New Leaf , its simply the Terms of the Fine Print that got me feeling very uncomfortable.

Dealing with Precision is not a welcome experience if ever needed again , and also adding the New Leaf seemed like a smart move at first.....not too sure now.

The People at New Leaf speak in Generic terms and seem to actually know very little when specific questions are asked. I asked if I was to need service or a claim where would they send it to....or would I have to send it to......they simply would not answer except to say....."an Authorized Service Center for my Camera".

I asked where exactly that might be and they could not tell me if it was a Pentax Authorized Service center....or.....a New Leaf authorized Center.

None of my questions received a Direct specific answer (Just Vague canned references).....by Email or on the Phone........I am not impressed at all so far , but then again might be very surprised some day too. My initial inquiry and impression is not too good.

07-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Very True Adam. However its a quite new company and there isn't really any Review yet based on actual usage , just purchase reviews.

No offense to Adorama or New Leaf , its simply the Terms of the Fine Print that got me feeling very uncomfortable.

Dealing with Precision is not a welcome experience if ever needed again , and also adding the New Leaf seemed like a smart move at first.....not too sure now.

The People at New Leaf speak in Generic terms and seem to actually know very little when specific questions are asked. I asked if I was to need service or a claim where would they send it to....or would I have to send it to......they simply would not answer except to say....."an Authorized Service Center for my Camera".

I asked where exactly that might be and they could not tell me if it was a Pentax Authorized Service center....or.....a New Leaf authorized Center.

None of my questions received a Direct specific answer (Just Vague canned references).....by Email or on the Phone........I am not impressed at all so far , but then again might be very surprised some day too. My initial inquiry and impression is not too good.
You'd probably still be getting service at Precision if it was needed, but with the third-party warranty a replacement is also on the table if you physically break the camera. Since they cover any brand their terms tend to be vague. Perhaps there's another member on the forum who can share their experience?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-08-2016, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the K20d days I had a Mack extended warranty that included damage coverage. Sure enough, I dropped the camera. The bottom plate cracked but that was the extent of the damage I could see -- it still worked fine.

I sent it in, and it took a few weeks, and it ended up being sent to CRIS. But the camera came back fully repaired, with not only the bottom plate replaced but also some other major components (shutter assembly perhaps? I don't recall because it has been more than a few years) also repaired and replaced.

I was very happy with the outcome. It was an expensive policy -- and AggieDad is right, it really is more like insurance than a warranty -- but it paid for itself.
10-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I purchased my K-1 from Adorama last month and included the "New Leaf Extended 3yr Warranty" with ""Accidental Drops and Spills" coverage for $78.
However upon reading the fine print of what IS covered and what is NOT covered......there seems to be some very Vague Language .....???
In one part it says accidental Drops and Spills is covered.......then they say water or liguid damage is NOT covered...... Or only covered at Their Discretion ?
I simply don't feel at all comfortable with wordage like this and a very Vague terminology with lots of "Holes" they could escape from coverage IF and WHEN they need to......at Their discretion simply leaves way too much leeway and wiggle room to NOT honor a Claim if ever needed.......I Don't have a Good Feeling about it now at all after reading the "Fine Print" and think its a waste of money in leu of the Pentax 3 year Manufacturers Warranty.

http://www.adorama.com/nldia3u2k.html?RRref=productPage

What do my fellow Pentaxians think about this ?
I am right now in the middle of a very unpleasant experience with New Leaf. See the post I just submitted.
10-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In one part it says accidental Drops and Spills is covered.......then they say water or liguid damage is NOT covered.....
Here, "spills" refers to "taking a spill" - like rolling out of your unzipped case, for instance - does not mean a "water spill" or getting water onto it.