Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
This is the first time in 15 years that I can say that I'm 100% satisfied with my digital camera, and have no plans to purchase another camera in the foreseeable future!
Don't worry. This feeling will soon pass.

07-08-2016, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

We may get another FF model quite soon if K1 is successfull but not as a replacement, more to target different market. Could be a cheap 24MP version for example that would be also smaller/lighter. We may get a slightly updated version with as a K1-II a bit like K3-II vs K3 or K5 vs K5-II.

But overall I would not expect anything being released that would be significantly better than current K1 FF before 3 years.

APSC sell much more and their release cycle is about 3 years already.

What is almost sure is that in 2-3 years K1 will be significantly less expensive. I would not be surprised to find one for $1000 only.

If you like the body a lot, if you have the money to spare and have need for 2 bodies, I see no reason to not buy now.
07-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Other than Sony, camera companies have been generally waiting around 3 years to replace top models. You see a lot of the mirrorless companies releasing firmware to keep updating flagship models, which I think is nice because it both keeps the customers happy and makes it so the camera companies feel less pressure (and save $$) not having to produce a new model every year. When it comes to firmware updates, Pentax has never been at the Olympus / Fuji level but they did use to do more (maybe during the Hoya years?) than they do now. I hope they might consider doing some good updates over time on the K-1, but not expecting that it will be the case.
07-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #19
CDW
Veteran Member

i've read rumors of a new 72 meg SONY sensor in the works for FF. Overkill in a FF, in my opinion. OTOH, if SONY does a better job of it than Canon has with their 50 meg sensor, it might be a candidate down the road in a couple of years and Pentax always seems to implement SONY sensors better than SONY does in their own bodies. By that time Pentax should have more contemporary lenses in the mix.

08-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #20

I am fairly new at this, but I'd actually expect Pentax to keep the K-1 as it is for about 2-3 years. Definitely until they have more new FF lenses at their disposal. Old lenses are great, but I don't think they can count on everyone buying the K-1 to rummage around to find old glass.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to point out flaws in my logic. As I said, I'm fairly new to the game and eager to learn, even if it is being proven wrong
08-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

mmmm.... maybe wait for the silver one.
08-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd expect that the Prime Lens area will be the main activity(DFA) in the near future....However,Ricoh still needs to keep pace with the other competitors....The Sony rumours are getting stronger ...FFdslr/MF.
Top end ASP-c will probably be next body from R/pen.

Next FF Pentax 2018/9, with K1 becoming the entry level FF.
09-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lol, I hope they won't do what Sony does with their bodies - new one every 6 months. Hate that, I'd have crazy buyers remorse if I had a new shiny ff body and new one with better specs came out in a month time) I just purchased k-1, hope it'll last me a good number of years)

09-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Such issues are fixed "on the flight", by changing the corresponding component, improve the production process etc.
Continuous hardware tuning during the existing production process is probably always happening, especially if Ricoh keeps a close watch on what their repair departments are observing, based on under-warranty repairs.

And more improvements simply via firmware are always possible too, without the need for any new hardware. As Magic Lantern reveals in Canon-land, if they ever felt the need to freshen up the K-1 mid-life, Ricoh could do a heap of interesting new stuff just in software.
09-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Continuous hardware tuning during the existing production process is probably always happening, especially if Ricoh keeps a close watch on what their repair departments are observing, based on under-warranty repairs.

And more improvements simply via firmware are always possible too, without the need for any new hardware. As Magic Lantern reveals in Canon-land, if they ever felt the need to freshen up the K-1 mid-life, Ricoh could do a heap of interesting new stuff just in software.
Yup. Mirrorless systems have done even more via firmware upgrades. I had an Olympus EM1 for last few years, I've seen incredible improvements and new features with each major firmware upgrade. I think fuji system had very big updates too, so has Sony. I wonder if now dslrs can be upgraded via firmware too. Maybe down the line k-1 would receive a video upgrade, or some new features.
09-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian

There will be a K-1 ii in a year and a half to two years, and then a new model in possibly 3. But, I'm expecting a D810 replacement soon, and if it comes with a new sensor, expect the next K-1 a year later, with the same sensor configured slightly differently.
09-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm thinking of getting a K-1, probably in around 10 months or so. At my age, it may well be my last 'big' camera. Would I be upset if I bought it and 2 months later something better came out ? I dunno, that kind of happened way back when after I bought new, my Pentax ES ll and a few months later the better, more improved K-2...with added bonus of bayonet mount came out.

No big deal the ES ll served me well for many a year and I'm sure I didn't use all it's features.

Now I have a K10D, Km and K-5. All work well, all I use on a regular basis.

But, I would like the K-1 FF, as I used to use medium format a lot back in my film days. Still have my Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR, Yashicamat 124 G TLR and Zeiss Ikon, Super Ikonta B. All medium format, all in working condition.

I would like a larger sensor...in fact I would like a 645 medium format, but it's out of my budget....so I think the K-1 sensor size will suffice and slake my thirst dor a bigger sensor than the ASP-C...which by the way does more than well, with the occasional 8 X 10 or 11 X 14 that I do.

So if the K-1 is still in my sights next year, yeah...I wouldn't mind getting it...even if the K-1 ll...is coming down the pike shortly after. I think the K-1 will have more than enough features to keep me happy and keep me challenged.
09-03-2016, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is always something new just around the corner. If the K-1 does as you need now, perhaps that is good news as a new model usually prompts a raft of bargains and good used deals on the outgoing one.
09-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Well here, the thing... the K-1 is so good, it leaves you wondering what else would I pay for?

36 MP seems like twice as much as I need. Pixel shift, SR, backwards compatibility, forwards compatibility (KAF4) with an upgrade, great low light performance. Faster burst and improved AF is all I can see that they could possibly improve.
09-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well here, the thing... the K-1 is so good, it leaves you wondering what else would I pay for?

36 MP seems like twice as much as I need. Pixel shift, SR, backwards compatibility, forwards compatibility (KAF4) with an upgrade, great low light performance. Faster burst and improved AF is all I can see that they could possibly improve.
The only other thing would be some weight reduction..... but difficult with IBIS and focus motor I guess. Oh yeah ..... and a OBF...haha....maybe an on board car key and wallet finder..... it really would hit the mark with it's ageing user base then.