Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How long will the current K-1 stay in production until they come out with new model ?

I'm already saving my $$$ for the next Version of the K-1 as I love it so much.
Being a Pentax first FF body , how long should be expected until a new FF model hits the market ?
1 year ? 2 years ? Possibly more ?
I'm trying to talk myself into WAITING before getting a second FF body .........but if its going to be two years or more......lol.....Ohhh Myyy........I Cant wait THAT long !......

07-08-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can afford it now, why wait?

The Fuji FinePix S5 Pro is an old discontinued digital camera that was great at portrait photography. It has become colectable and even increased in value.

The K1 is so revolutionary, that I would not be surprised if some day it too becomes colectable and increases in value.

For 15 years now I've regularly been buying, trying and selling the latest digital cameras (Nikon to Canon to Fuji to Pentax). I now own a Pentax K1. This is the first time in 15 years that I can say that I'm 100% satisfied with my digital camera, and have no plans to purchase another camera in the foreseeable future!
07-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
If you can afford it now, why wait?

The Fuji XPro 5 is an old digital camera that was great at portrait photography. It has become colectable and even increased in value.

The K1 is so revolutionary, that I would not be surprised if some day it too becomes colectable and increases in value.

For 15 years now I've regularly been buying, trying and selling the latest digital cameras (Nikon to Canon to Fuji to Pentax). I now own a Pentax K1. This is the first time in 15 years that I can say that I'm 100% satisfied with my digital camera, and have no plans to purchase another camera in the foreseeable future!
That's the Problem ! I'm 100% satisfied and am simply DROOLING over if I should get another one as a backup in the Holiday Season.....or wait and see what develops. I wouldn't mind if it didn't change for years. In fact it would make me very happy if I knew a few years down the line it was still the same K-1.
I have this wonderful ability to buy a New Body.......and three weeks later the next model arrives ! I did it with the K5/K5II......did it with the K3/K3II.
Was just wondering......pondering......thinking........we ALL know where that gets us !
07-08-2016, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

2 or more, I'd say. Higher-end cameras tend to be replaced at longer intervals than lower-end ones.

07-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
2 or more, I'd say. Higher-end cameras tend to be replaced at longer intervals than lower-end ones.
That's kinda what I was thinking too....thanks.
07-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Note that I'm only guessing here, I don't have access to any kind of mid-term camera roadmap.
But at least you can be certain there won't be any K-1 replacement at Photokina, nor at CP+.
07-08-2016, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd guess around 2-3 years. A new and compelling sensor will have to come it first for a replacement to really male sense, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

They might use the 42MP sensor, if/when it gets cheaper.
07-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the mode dial failures require hardware changes there might be an update for that, but I can't see the point in a major revision any time soon, since it's basically brand new.
07-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Maybe have a model like D5&1DX
07-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think you answered your own question: The K-1 will stay in production until it is replaced with a newer model.

However, I doubt that will happen any time soon unless some grievous flaw comes to light. The K-1 took a long time
to develop AND it's selling at a brisk pace. I can't think of any stronger incentives for Ricoh to keep the K-1 in
production for a long time, based on those two factors alone.
07-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Until the development costs are amortized across the planned number of units.
07-08-2016, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's all about business

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Until the development costs are amortized across the planned number of units.
Yes, the accountants will have much to say about budgeting towards the next version. Doesn't really matter. The K-1 exceeds by a good margin the general needs of most professional photographers. The speed of introduction of a new body will probably depend on how many pros can be persuaded to move over to Pentax/Ricoh. We need to start seeing Pentax being used at events such as the Olympics and Super Bowl and declared as acceptable by the major news agencies. In the mean time, everyone needs to simply stop worrying about the future and enjoy their K-1 or K-3ii. Both are great cameras.
07-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd guess around 2-3 years. A new and compelling sensor will have to come it first for a replacement to really male sense, IMO.
being that the 36 Mp sensor has been around almost 5 years (which helps keep the cost of the K1 down) I would think it would be at least one year or so after a new sensor comes down the pipe. I expect a crop sensor model first though.

Randy
07-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
If the mode dial failures require hardware changes there might be an update for that, but I can't see the point in a major revision any time soon, since it's basically brand new.
Such issues are fixed "on the flight", by changing the corresponding component, improve the production process etc. There's absolutely no need for a new model.