Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Weird effect in images on K-3... anyone seen this before?

I've noticed this a couple of times before, but this is a pretty extreme example... I took this photo with my K-3 a couple of days ago. It was sunny, and there was sunlight shining directly onto our cat. Photo taken with the DA*60-250 wide open at f/4. If you look at the whiskers, and the fur to the upper left of the image, there are areas that a multi-coloured - red, magenta, yellow, green, blue etc. If I look really carefully, I can make this out at 1:2 and even 1:3 reproduction. The crops below are at 1:1 and 2:1 to show the effect at its worst. The photo is a raw DNG file viewed in Lightroom 6, but the effect is visible in DCU5 also.

Has anyone come across this effect before? Is it a K-3 or Pentax thing, or a general issue with digital sensors - or something else?

EDIT: Hang on... is this moiré I'm seeing? I can remove it using Lightroom's Moiré slider, it seems!

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-09-2016 at 06:11 AM.
07-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It may be moire but it may also be due to the structure of the cats fur causing different light waves to be reflected. It's been a long time since I studied biology but I don't think any black animal is absolutely black. It's common to see a shimmer of other colors. I wouldn't try to remove it. I don't see it as an artifact. Just my opinion.

Last edited by sundr; 07-09-2016 at 07:21 AM.
07-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
You're overanalyzing because of that new 60-250 of yours (congrats btw)

Under direct sunlight, with the naked eye you'll see the same light effect on dark fur
07-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
It may be moire but it may also be due to the structure of the cats fur causing different light waves to be reflected. It's been a long time since I studied biology but I don't think any black animal is absolutely black. It's common to see a shimmer of other colors. I wouldn't try to remove it. I don't see it as an artifact. Just my opinion.
QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
You're overanalyzing because of that new 60-250 of yours (congrats btw)

Under direct sunlight, with the naked eye you'll see the same light effect on dark fur
Thanks, both Well, that's yet another thing I've learned from these forums (though it sounds like perhaps I should have been listening closer in science classes ) - much appreciated!

07-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is refracted iridescence, same mechanism that gives many bird feathers their colour. Nothing wrong with your camera.
07-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
It is refracted iridescence, same mechanism that gives many bird feathers their colour. Nothing wrong with your camera.
Thank you Yes, in fact it does look very similar to the colour I see in starlings...
07-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Take a strand of your hair and examine it in bright light - sunlight is ideal. Hair is translucent and the pigment and cell structure diffracts light in many ways.

07-10-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Maybe there's something wrong with the cat!
07-10-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Maybe there's something wrong with the cat!
I'll tell him you said this... He won't be amused!
07-10-2016, 05:32 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

we have black dogs and I will see a similar effect in them (both naked eye and photos) when in strong light (sunlight or artificial) - I would not consider this an issue with the lens or camera....
07-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Dave... so long as I know it happens and isn't a problem, I'm cool with it. It's not that noticeable, and as I mentioned, the moiré slider in LR6 removes it effectively
07-10-2016, 06:23 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks, Dave... so long as I know it happens and isn't a problem, I'm cool with it. It's not that noticeable, and as I mentioned, the moiré slider in LR6 removes it effectively
of course, you could always ask your model (cat) to move out of the sun.....

(:
07-10-2016, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
of course, you could always ask your model (cat) to move out of the sun.....
I suspect that would be met with the same disregard as any other requests made of him... but I'll try. He's going through a mousing phase right now and seems to think "Put it down!" and "Let it go!" means "Bite down hard" or "Bring that inside the house!"