Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1 with 60-250

got my K1 on Thursday this week and tried a few shots with the 60-250 with the body set to full frame. at f4 at 250 with the hood in place had some vignetting in the corners but stopped down to f6.3 which for this lens is the sweet spot it seemed to be gone. this was just in the house on an old doll but tomorrow ill be taking it to coopers rocks state forest and giving it a workout. if anyone is interested ill post some shots. so far what little i have used it the K1 seems to exceed my expectations. even an older screw drive tamron seems to focus a lot faster than on my K3.

07-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most results show very little problems with vignetting up to 200mm. Additionally there is a rear baffle that can be modified or removed to reduce or eliminate the vignetting.
07-10-2016, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some information in this thread that might be of use: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/304092-da-60-250-mod-ff.html
07-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, if you do the modification as described above, the vignetting will be mostly gone.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It did work!

I can confirm this.

Please see my crossposting from DPReview/Pentax:
Modified DA*60-250/4 on K-1: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

There are a couple samples at 60mm and 250mm wide open for your convenience.

And thank you, PF guys, for discovering this :-)
08-01-2016, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hello everyone i thought i would post a repair place i located. they altered my 60-250 for me and have repaired another lens when the SDM died. i have been real happy with them so far and they are reasonable and pretty quick turn around too. LeZot Camera is Vermont's Camera Shop they are located in burlington vermont.

---------- Post added 08-01-16 at 09:03 PM ----------

LeZot Camera is Vermont's Camera Shop
08-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
they altered my 60-250 for me
By altered, you mean remove the baffle? Did they remove it completely or machine it to remove the obstructing part?

08-02-2016, 04:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
By altered, you mean remove the baffle? Did they remove it completely or machine it to remove the obstructing part?
i had them remove it. they sent it back to me so it could be reinstalled in the future. i took a few shots with it yesterday wide open and so far so good. tried to post one but it doesnt look like it is here

---------- Post added 08-02-16 at 07:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
i had them remove it. they sent it back to me so it could be reinstalled in the future. i took a few shots with it yesterday wide open and so far so good. tried to post one but it doesnt look like it is here
there it is this was just shot out the window of the car but its at 250 and f4 i just wanted to experiment real quick
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And does 60mm also look good? Someone was saying 60mm wasn't very good - I think they said < 100 and > 200 wasn't good (without the mod).
My guess - and it is ONLY a guess is that this baffle is related to the constant f/stop. I think without it the f/stop may be larger than f/4 at some focal lengths. I wish we could test two side by side easily.
08-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I wish we could test two side by side easily.
Wish I had thought of that before I modded mine............... But I'm not going to take it apart again to test the theory. Maybe someone with an un-modded one can get together with someone else.
08-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Wish I had thought of that before I modded mine............... But I'm not going to take it apart again to test the theory. Maybe someone with an un-modded one can get together with someone else.
I volunteer my unmodded one - if anyone in the NC/SC area wants to mod one and test side by side.
08-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And does 60mm also look good? Someone was saying 60mm wasn't very good - I think they said < 100 and > 200 wasn't good (without the mod).
My guess - and it is ONLY a guess is that this baffle is related to the constant f/stop. I think without it the f/stop may be larger than f/4 at some focal lengths. I wish we could test two side by side easily.
i will try it later this week i am going to be tied up for the next couple days

---------- Post added 08-02-16 at 09:56 PM ----------

the shots i took at f4 seemed to be exposed ok so i think even if is a little wider the meter would still read correctly whatever light was available. i have an old analog light meter and i will play with it and see how the readings compare with the camera meter.