Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Review those camera settings.

I got a little lazy today while shooting and took for granted the accuracy of my K-S2 with the DA 35 macro. I was taking some flower photos today in a area with very uneven ground so was watching my feet. The K-S2 & DA35 has always been very accurate focusing and I got so I don't worry about checking it too much, it has always been so dependable. Well today the focus was dependable, but I wasn't. Somehow while carrying the camera my fingers must have clicked the focus menu on the dial and selected multi-exposure, which was set for 20 exposures. I click away not checking anything until we had to leave the area for an appointment. Later at home I load the photos into Lightroom, first thing I notice the small number of photos, then I noticed the multi-exposure stacks, which explains what happen. Luckily this was nothing important as I was just killing time, but it could have been. I learned a lesson.

07-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know how many times I've left EV compensation on or some other setting as well as accidentally changing something. There are just too many things to check and remember and if you only shoot on occasion it is difficult to build a routine.

I guess that's why the K-3/ii and K-1 have lock buttons which can be a very handy feature.
07-10-2016, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't know how many times I've left EV compensation on or some other setting as well as accidentally changing something. There are just too many things to check and remember and if you only shoot on occasion it is difficult to build a routine.

I guess that's why the K-3/ii and K-1 have lock buttons which can be a very handy feature.
Save your common settings to User1?
07-10-2016, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Use the memory setting - I have exposure compensation and flash compensation unchecked so that if I turn the camera off, exposure compensation is returned to zero. Because there is not much chance that the exposure setting I used before turning off the camera is the correct one when I next turn it on. You can do the same for any setting you might want returned to default, in the case with multiple exposure - drive mode.

07-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I second this PSA. My nose has made some pretty dumb decisions about camera settings, some of which went undetected for quite some time.
07-12-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

It is definitely a lesson you learn soon enough...more quickly if the images mattered.
At first I tried to make a mental checklist to go through before shooting, but there are too many things to miss. Since then I have sensible starting points saved under User modes, which I select before tweaking any settings required for the circumstances.
07-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

After first shot, use the histogram or make it always ON as overlay info after taking a shot and yes, USER Settings.
07-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I far too often leave the camera in 2-sec delay, then when shooting in the field press the trigger and hear the beeps...

07-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I far too often leave the camera in 2-sec delay, then when shooting in the field press the trigger and hear the beeps...
I did that recently but I have the beeps switched off. I spent far too long wondering why my shutter speed was so much slower than it should have been!
07-17-2016, 04:16 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

I don't know how many times I've left EV compensation on or some other setting as well as accidentally changing something
I'm sure in the Pentax menu system, you can turn off certain camera settings that the camera remembers...like Sensitivity, Skin Tone, EV Compensation, Digital Filter, Flash Mode, HDR Capture, Flash Exposure Compensation, Pixel Shift Resolution, Drive Mode, Composition Adjustment, White Balance, Playback Info Display, Custom Image, Operation Control Lock, Clarity, Outdoor View Setting.

Well certainly on K1 you can, so that when you turn the camera back on, things are returned back to their default values.
07-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #11
amateur dirt farmer...

thanks to this thread, I'm now setting up specifics for U1, U2, etc...... in the hopes that I'll never shoot 25 or more shots wide open, no exposure settings, or the like.....
07-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter

The K-1 definitely has the welcome addition of a lock button. Alas, it is unique in the Pentax line for this feature.

Steve
07-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good to know I'm not alone. I've also found I forgot to switch off the 2-sec delay. I have never set up any of the user modes, I think that is a good ideal.