Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax does quite well in noise performance (if we didn't know that already!)

Comparing the Sensor Noise of Top Cameras

QuoteQuote:
For each camera he tests, Davey shoots 3 different exposures at 1 second, 30 seconds, and 300 seconds (i.e. 5 minutes). Other factors are held constant: no light is entering the viewfinder, the environment is room temperature, ISO is set at 3200, NR is off, and RAW capture at max bits per channel.
The guy's website himself: The Sensor Noise DB. – Brendan Davey Photography

Looks like the k-5 and the k-1 do quite well as the length of time is increased. Especially at the 5 min/300s mark.

07-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm impressed. The longer you go, the better the K-5 gets compared to the rest. By the end, it's in second place (compared to quite a few newer cameras, too). That must have been one hell of a good sensor/algorithm package they put into it, and I will be truly sorry when mine finally packs it in.

Interesting to see the K-1 trailing it all the way, even though it comes in just one place behind it at the 5 minute mark.

Of course with Astrotracer, the K-1 almost certainly will be used on a fairly regular basis for MUCH more than five minutes. It would be interesting to see whether it catches up and surpasses all the competitors if the test were extended to ten or fifteen minutes. Perhaps we should ask him for an extended test on those grounds alone?
07-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

Of course with Astrotracer, the K-1 almost certainly will be used on a fairly regular basis for MUCH more than five minutes.
Not really, since the astrotracer is limited to 5 minutes. But on the other hand, the tracer is probably one of the reasons that Pentax have focus on doing well in long exposures.
07-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It also goes to show that the k-1 is no slouch. Unfortunately my k-3 doesn't do as well, but it's reasonable in the 30s range.

07-12-2016, 04:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It also goes to show that the k-1 is no slouch. Unfortunately my k-3 doesn't do as well, but it's reasonable in the 30s range.
I thought the same until I looked up the prices of the competitors with similar noise performance, especially once a half decent lens is attached. Even better considering the feature set of my K3II compared to those bodies.

I've never had any practical problem with noise though, even where it is fairly evident it's quite easy to remove.
Save
07-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I thought the same until I looked up the prices of the competitors with similar noise performance, especially once a half decent lens is attached. Even better considering the feature set of my K3II compared to those bodies.

I've never had any practical problem with noise though, even where it is fairly evident it's quite easy to remove.
Save
Yeah, I upgraded from a k-x to a k-3, so the benefits outweigh any perceived weakness in noise performance compared to having gone to a k-5. I adore my k-3
07-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I actually have had no issues getting extremely decent ISO12800 results out of my K-5 IIs, provided I use an external, self-profiling noise reduction program such as NeatImage. I do not often have to go that deep, any darker and I cannot even see what I'm trying to shoot!
07-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When comparing these images, it is important to note that a 300 x 300 pixel crops favour sensors with lower pixel density. Comparing an APS-C 24mp body with 16mp, both at 300 pixels square, is not a level playing field.