Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if this has been said yet... but I think a mirrorless version of the K-S1's thin compact body (which is not brick-like like the K-01) with the whole pantaprism/mirror area taken out (flat top like in the K-01) and with a slim, round K-mount similar to what Sigma is doing, would work well. No weather seals. I think EVs are not expensive these days from third-party suppliers, and they have gotten to an acceptable level of quality - for those who want to go super-light. I think this would be a very light camera, it would look like other mirrorless cameras, just with a permanent K-mount "adapter" included .

08-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't know if this has been said yet... but I think a mirrorless version of the K-S1's thin compact body (which is not brick-like like the K-01) with the whole pantaprism/mirror area taken out (flat top like in the K-01) and with a slim, round K-mount similar to what Sigma is doing, would work well. No weather seals. I think EVs are not expensive these days from third-party suppliers, and they have gotten to an acceptable level of quality - for those who want to go super-light. I think this would be a very light camera, it would look like other mirrorless cameras, just with a permanent K-mount "adapter" included .
I was too busy drooling over the K-3 when the K-S1 came out, and I never saw a K-S1 in person so I didn't think much of it, but I think you're right!
I know the looks don't make a camera, but one of the biggest complaints about the K-01 is how strange it looked. If they make one more like a mirrorless K-S1 I think it would be more successful.

Built in flash would be nice, but I understand some people are most concerned with weight. I wouldn't want them to ditch the hot shoe, but it would be neat if Pentax made a hot shoe / digital connection like Olympus µ4/3 AP2 port that would allow you to plug in an external flash or an EVF or mini flash similar to the Olympus VF-4 EVF and FL-LM2 flash. Of course, drawing from the camera battery would use more power, and I don't know if they could shoehorn the D-Li90 battery in without making the grip bump bigger... The K-S1 would make a great starting point for external aesthetics though!
08-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #63
Veteran Member

And let's not forget that K70 is out. while from preview of pentax forum the PDAF not that much used there, I guess this allow Pentax to work on it and improve their algorithms in the field. That K70 can be a test bed for a mirrorless body.