Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Will Ricoh-Pentax ever create k-mount mirrorless camera?

Just wondering, but certainly hope so.

07-11-2016, 09:31 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
Just wondering, but certainly hope so.
They already did, and it didn't do too well. Not sure anything can be changed to make a K-mount mirrorless make sense. The mirror doesn't really make things any bulkier due to the way the mount is designed. The only option would be to make mirrorless-only lenses along with an adapter for existing lenses, an idea that was floated around at CP+ 2012 but subsequently abandoned (see the photo below).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe Pentax could get a deal on Samsung's camera division and adapt to those.
Camera | New Camera News
Seriously, as Adam says, for mirrorless to make sense it has to be smaller. The K mount flange to sensor distance is just too far. Mirrorless is becoming increasingly popular ( some say it is the future ) so you would hope that Pentax would come out with mirrorless that can be adapted to K mount.
07-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I full heartedly think they need a k-02 with pretty much the same body but with phase detect AF and gear it towards video

---------- Post added 07-11-16 at 10:37 PM ----------

mirrorless k-mount makes perfect sense for video as dslrs don't use their mirror in video mode so videographers would never need a mirror

07-12-2016, 02:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh is stretched already. A mirrorless line is not likely. They will probably only do it when Canon and Nikon also get serious about mirrorless and DSLR's really become a niche product (which they are not now and won't be for some time). They may however do something like Hasselblad did with the X1D. But for that to be a success they will have to set up a software design team. Ricoh is weak in software. Their apps, DCU 5, camera interface (while practical it is anciënt and not ready for a touch interface) are all pretty basic and limited and DCU is plain ugly and outdated.
07-12-2016, 02:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would enjoy an APS-C Pentax mirrorless camera like the K-01, but which has:
- Stops down lenses automatically when aperture ring is used, instead of green button usage (though I guess we already have M42 lenses for that)
- Has an EVF

However, I guess other mirrorless cameras do this well already with an adapter.
07-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Do any other manufacturers make a compact mirrorless body that is directly compatible with their DSLR lenses?
Is it even possible/practical/sensical? Makes much more sense both in design and economics to produce new lenses for people to buy.

07-12-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Only Sigma: http://www4.pcmag.com/media/images/495704-sigma-sd-quattro.jpg The K-01 was the only dslr mount mirrorless before this one I believe unless you count slt's. It's not very practical because of the long flange distance that isn't needed. A lot of empty space to carry around.
07-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah the K-01 is hardly what I'd call compact, which is surely the main benefit of mirrorless.
07-12-2016, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But - as has been observed in other threads - they could make K-01 follow up in FF. The K-01 suffered a bit for its styling which (looking at the styling of the current crop of mirrorless) was simply ahead of its time. In FF it could be a Cinderella rather than the ugly (to some) step sister. It could be kept simple and relatively low cost. I would buy one. But that may be its biggest negative. A mirrorless FF in the form of a re-vamped K-01 might cut in to K-1 sales too much.
07-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Interesting though, since I often take me K-01 as a second body, and I want a K-1 mainly for landscape, I'd be quite happy with a slightly larger than the k-01 K-02. That would be perfect, especially if they knocked 3 or 4 hundred off the price. It would be awesome, but I don't expect it.

For landscape I don't need a viewfinder, I don't need a fast frame rate, all I need is a good basic camera in small portable package. The K-1 is actually more than I need.
07-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
But - as has been observed in other threads - they could make K-01 follow up in FF.
If it fails, try again. Just make sure it will really fail this time
07-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To me, the biggest screw-up with the design of the K-01 was the lack of a click-on viewfinder,
as used on the Olympus M43.
I had an M43 for a long time. As soon as I got a vf, I started to use the camera a lot more.

I rarely use the K-01 now.
07-12-2016, 06:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Same here, I rarely use it, but, it's often in my camera bag. With the 40XS on it or even the 21ltd. it fits really nice in my bag, and is a nice compliment to the longer lens that's usually on my K-3.
07-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Yeah the K-01 is hardly what I'd call compact, which is surely the main benefit of mirrorless.
The main advantage of a mirrorless ILC is the potential for reduced weight, compared with an equivalent DSLR. Overall size may be a secondary advantage, but both are offset to some extent by the size and weight of the system lenses.

A follow-on from the K-01 with an in-built EVF, and a more traditional body styling could find a greater success.