Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
This would make for a fantastic wallpaper, Andrés.

THANK YOU! FTP!

I think you can dowload from my Flickr if you can't just let me know and I'll post the link for the large size

07-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andres Quote
THANK YOU! FTP!

I think you can dowload from my Flickr if you can't just let me know and I'll post the link for the large size

I did; thank you kindly. It is now happily beautifying my desktop.
07-22-2008, 02:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Anyone tried longer exposures?

Andres posted two pics taken with the K10D ca 30 and ca 15 minutes long and they seemed fine to me. Has anyone tried to take longer exposures? I'm asking becouse this is one of the things keeping me from buying a DSLR (I have neither the time nor the patience to wait 4 hours to take 120 separate exposures and make one picture out of them).

1 to 2 hour pic with K10D/K20D anyone?

And how long does a fully charged battery last while taking a picture in normal temperature (20 celcius)? Is long exposures a "one-per-night" job with a DSLR?

//jim
07-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
OK, now I've seen it!
(Relatively) long exposures on a K10D - and they worked!
Andres - did you need to do much to the images afterwards to remove noise?
I tried even a 30min exposure with my (then) K100D and still got a totally white result - this was trying to just shoot the dark sky (no moon) with a tree taking up a small corner of the photo.
Haven't tried it since, but will now that you've shared these results...
What's your location? Could be light pollution. Andres' photos were taken in a very isolated area from the looks of it.

Also the K100 and K10 have completely different sensors.

As to multiple exposures - combining them isn't that hard. If you don't want to stand by the camera for it, use an external timer/trigger like that YongNuo one linked to, or depending on your electronics and programming skill build one with an Arduino. Another option is the K20's built in timelapse mode.

I wish the K20 had a more standard external power connector to power it externally from a large battery or something like that.

07-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for this.
Maybe I could get my old KM out and take some film shots, get processed negs. only. Then scan them.
07-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombatwal Quote
Thanks everyone for this.
Maybe I could get my old KM out and take some film shots, get processed negs. only. Then scan them.
Yep! I want to try with "my" (actually my Dad's) MX!!!! but I'm kind of busy now to go out 200kms away from home... :P
07-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gamgee Quote
I saw a freeware once (cant remember the name, sorry) which was made specificaly for combining multiple short exposures of nightsky to get the long star trails. Results looked same as oldschool long exposures. If I only could remember...

Perhaps you were thinking of Startrails from Achim Schaller at www.Startrails.de-Home

I downloaded it, but have not used it yet. It is a one purpose program that takes a series of short (say 30 sec) night sky images and stacks them.

I have found about 4 minutes to be my limit for good exposures with K110D on a motorized telescopes. I usually stack a bunch of 1 or 2 minute frames. My SBIG temperature controlled camera would do 15-20 minute exposures with ease.

I live in a city of 55,000 and have city of 90,000+ just south of me. A darker site would allow longer exposures.

My K110D draws over 1/2 amp at 6.5 volts when the shutter is open. At home I use the Pentax AC adapter. In the field I use a large 12 v battery with a regulator set to 6.5 v.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 07-23-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: typo, added sentence
07-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Perhaps you were thinking of Startrails from Achim Schaller at www.Startrails.de-Home

I downloaded it, but have not used it yet. It is a one purpose program that takes a series of short (say 30 sec) night sky images and stacks them.

I have found about 4 minutes to be my limit for good exposures with K110D on a motorized telescopes. I usually stack a bunch of 1 or 2 minute frames. My SBIG temperature controlled camera would do 15-20 minute exposures with ease.

I live in a city of 55,000 and have city of 90,000+ just south of me. A darker site would allow longer exposures.

My K110D draws over 1/2 amp at 6.5 volts when the shutter is open. At home I use the Pentax AC adapter. In the field I use a large 12 v battery with a regulator set to 6.5 v.
Where'd you find a connector for this? (or does the K110 have a more standard connector than the K10/K20)