Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Changing my K200D for what???

Hi everyone,

I bought a K200D in 2009. I've used it and still love it. I brought it with me on every single trip I made. Back them, it was mainly for landscape that I used it. Now my life is different, and I still want to picture landscape, my new favorite subject is mt 18 months old daughter. So I things, now it's time for an upgrade.

My K200D is not always fast enough for my linking and the ISO setting cannot be raised enough for pictures inside without the use of a flash.

What would you recommand me? I tought of the K-S2.

My budget is roughly 800$ CDN (body only, since I have the lenses), so around 600$-650$ USD.

Thanks.

Annie

07-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentax K-70 that's coming out?
07-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does it have to be a new body?

Used K-3's are going for a bit less than you budget with low shutter counts and K3-II's are going for about you max budget with low shutter counts. Currently there are at least 3 of the K-3 series in the market place for sale. Both camera's would be a significant step up. However, they are aimed at advanced/pro users (which is why i barely know how to use it ) and don't have the scene modes. So if you use mostly the manual or semi auto modes (Tv Av TAV) you could easily adapt to one these.
07-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
I thought of a used one, but since I'm in Canada, I only saw "Ship to US" for the actual camera.

As for the K-70, I had not think of that, but I'm not sure when it's going to be available in Canada.

07-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueEye Quote
I thought of a used one, but since I'm in Canada, I only saw "Ship to US" for the actual camera.

As for the K-70, I had not think of that, but I'm not sure when it's going to be available in Canada.
K-S2 is very nice camera. K-70 is supposed to be better.
07-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter

There are 1 or 2 that are available, but you are correct they are few and far between. If you aren't in a hurry a good deal can be had if you wait for the right one.

If you aren't looking for the enhanced video capability and need it pretty quick, I would vote for the KS-2.

Another thought if you aren't needing weather sealing or a tilting screen (but with kids and landscape you may) is the KS-1 which can be had for very little. The other thought is that adorama and B&H Photo still have some leftover K-50's if you want weather sealing but don't need the extra resolution. Both are great camera's and be bought new for a very modest price.
07-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

being in the exact same situation I think the K70 is still a bit of an unknown item, I'm pretty set on the KS-2 personally....
07-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

K-S2($499) ....or the just arriving K-70($649)........either way invest in the extended Warranty.

07-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi everyone,

I bought a K200D in 2009. I've used it and still love it. I brought it with me on every single trip I made. Back them, it was mainly for landscape that I used it. Now my life is different, and I still want to picture landscape, my new favorite subject is mt 18 months old daughter. So I things, now it's time for an upgrade.

My K200D is not always fast enough for my linking and the ISO setting cannot be raised enough for pictures inside without the use of a flash.

What would you recommand me? I tought of the K-S2.

My budget is roughly 800$ CDN (body only, since I have the lenses), so around 600$-650$ USD.

Thanks.

Annie
Like others have said, the K-S2 or K-70 would both be solid choices. The K-70 is an upgraded version of the K-S2, in essence, so it might be worth waiting for that since the price isn't much higher. At $649 it's actually already a bargain for what you get, IMO, since the camera borrows a lot of features from the flagship line and is the first sub-flagship to offer 14-bit RAW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #10

I went from K200D to K-3. Love it. Does everything I need it to and more. Still learning all the features. Picked up the K200D last night and its like sooo old fashion. LOL Anything you choose you will be happy.
07-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I'd get a used K-5II or K-5IIs. Still one of the best APS-C cameras for low light.
07-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I personally am anticipating really good high ISO capacity from the K-70. The highest ISO is 102,000 which is one stops more than a K-3, and I'm assuming (hoping) that the useable ISO compared to a K-3 will jump from 1600 to 3200 ISO, for clean images. A real bonus for indoor and low light shooting.

No one knows at the moment if it will be that good, but given that the K-1 seems to be good until 6400 ISO it would seem like a reasonable guess. I still use my original K-5 from time to time and it would be an easy second hand selection if you could find one. I would expect the AF on the K-70 however will be K-3 speed, and better than K-5 speed, and for catching your daughter, that could be critical. The speed and accuracy from a K-5 to a K-3 is noticeable, and there's a possibility the K-70 will exceed the K-3 and be more K-1 like.

They should be out in a few days I'd think.

There are a lot of questions about this camera, but I'm guessing it's worth waiting to get some answers.

Last edited by normhead; 07-12-2016 at 02:28 PM.
07-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

I have a K200D which I upgraded to a K50.

I kept the K200D because I like the colors it produces. Its also nice to have 2 bodies for situations where you don't want to be changing lenses in mid shoot.

Whatever you get, I recommend keeping the old K200D as well!
07-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter

K-70 does sound like it should be a good solution here, but that's should, and the price will most likely blow past the stated budget.
07-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
and there's a possibility the K-70 will exceed the K-3 and be more K-1 like.
Possibly.
But as far as it looks on paper, the K-70 will have the Safox X of the K-s2 (an upgrade from the Safox IX+ of the K-50/30), and not the Safox XI (K-3) or XII (K-1)
So if its better at AF than the K-3, i'd be surprised.

And with Prime MII with accelerator unit, if it produces better ISO quality than the K-3, that is good news for the future - the K-3 III, with Prime MIV +accelerator unit.
I'm really curious what this accelerator unit is
Some separate noise processing processor?