Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

In Germany I paid 1600 EUR for the K-1 and the very cheapest offer from a reputable dealer for the D750 is 1800 EUR, so the K-1 comes with a free lens.

And I am not counting the fact that the D750 is a low to mid level body, basically a K-50 with a larger sensor and one single improved feature: AF.
The iphone has more advantages: better connectivity and easier to carry around and considerably cheaper.
Yes you can compare whatever you want and sometimes one side wins sometimes the other.

The first poster to state "you can not compare a D750 to a..." or "it is not a mid level camera" is a Nikon fanboy / sales rep but will not admit it (and owning a Pentax camera is not the least proof you are not a Nikon fanboy).

I can be as "educated" as Rishi and state that Nikon cameras suck, because they are poor build and poor usability. They always did.

07-19-2016, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Someday, we will spend more time talking about photographs than equipment. May it be soon.
07-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I don't agree with you here biz-engineer. People who hide facts or "forget" to mention them because they make the opposite side look good is imho people you can't trust. That means the majority of salesmen for instance, can't trust them.
You can trust Nicolas' information, such as for example putting forward, on Pentax forum, the price of a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR at 1105 euros. Pentax marketing guys are really badly informed as they don't know Nikon prices.

BTW, in Nikon forum and Canon forum, I did not see a thread named "How does Canon 5DIII stacks up with Pentax K1". So it must be Pentax specific to consider Nikon alternative on a Pentax dedicated community.

---------- Post added 19-07-16 at 22:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Someday, we will spend more time talking about photographs than equipment. May it be soon.
May be soon. When Ricoh will stop operations, Pentaxians will be left with an essential question: how does the D810 stack up against a D810 ?
07-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here are my thoughts on the K-1 vs D810:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/324141-finally-received-k-...-thoughts.html

Long story short, I like the K-1 better than the D810 in most cases, but there are some instances where I do prefer the Nikon (yes, those instances are AF related).

07-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
but there are some instances where I do prefer the Nikon (yes, those instances are AF related).
Ouch, this is a Pentax forum, you are not supposed to write things like that, according to some.
07-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Your behaviour is emotionally driven. What do you gain by promoting Nikon offering in Pentax forum? If you'd get a commission from Nikon , good for you, but if not, you better keep silent about promoting other brands. When you promote Nikon offering, all it does, indirectly, it destroys the value of your own Pentax gear. If you own Pentax gear, try to avoid destroying your own value. We don't ask you to promote Pentax, but at least you can keep quiet, and it is ethical to do so. Some other people have said all the good of Pentax in order to sell it and purchased Nikon in the meantime. You're just doing the opposite, i.e keepting Pentax gear and criticizing the brand at the same time, at best this will do nothing to you and at worst this will hurt you.

What benefit do you get out of openly showing how better is Nikon offering?
Let's try to understand what you say...

I should not speak/write on some subjects, even if I find it valuable information, even if I think it would genuinely serve some readers/forum members here... Because this could reduce the value of my own gear? I should promote Pentax, not for what it is, but blindlessly to ensure my "investment" keeps its value? This is quite cynical reasoning that you promote. And I don't know how I would expect anyone to trust me if I had such behavior as I would deceive on purpose.

Man this is gear. This is not an investment for retirement. There no expectation for it to keeps it value. K5 was worth almost at much as K1 few years ago. Now it is worth like 250$... If it still work. Old manual lenses most often sell for less than $100...

Your gear, my gear, other people gear will loose its value, whatever you do.

You write that I have an emotionnal response when I say that some piece of gear is cheaper... While this is an objective piece of information everybody can verify for himself. But you own behavior is like some supporters thinking of their prefered football club...
07-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
In Germany I paid 1600 EUR for the K-1 and the very cheapest offer from a reputable dealer for the D750 is 1800 EUR, so the K-1 comes with a free lens.

And I am not counting the fact that the D750 is a low to mid level body, basically a K-50 with a larger sensor and one single improved feature: AF.
The iphone has more advantages: better connectivity and easier to carry around and considerably cheaper.
Yes you can compare whatever you want and sometimes one side wins sometimes the other.

The first poster to state "you can not compare a D750 to a..." or "it is not a mid level camera" is a Nikon fanboy / sales rep but will not admit it (and owning a Pentax camera is not the least proof you are not a Nikon fanboy).

I can be as "educated" as Rishi and state that Nikon cameras suck, because they are poor build and poor usability. They always did.
Same argument would say that a K1 is a K50 with a bigger sensor. And for most intent of purpose this is exactly that, because you can replace K50 with any DSLR APSC camera from any brand and DSRL K1 with any FF camera from any brand that it would still be arguably true.

There some difference... K1 still cannot match K50 burst rate except in APSC mode for example or D750 really big compared to K50. But the comparison still hold. After all the 3 essentially take photos with similar technology and set of features.

For some pixel shift and 36MP are key differentiator. For some other, that's AF. Everybody free to have his own preference and priorities.

07-20-2016, 12:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Some do go on and on and on about not much! It's like some really have to get across their view as the right one and win the argument...... over stuff that is mostly self evident or up to an individual to decide how relevant it is to them.

Multiple back and forward posts over mostly nothing really do distract from reading through a thread. Yes, yes one can ignore a person but that is a sad thing to do (mostly).
07-20-2016, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I should not speak/write on some subjects, even if I find it valuable information,
Where is the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR on sale new at 1150 euros ?
Here, the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR is priced 2200 euros, 250 euros more than the Pentax DFA70-200 f2.8.

---------- Post added 20-07-16 at 11:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But you own behavior is like some supporters thinking of their prefered football club...
Yes, I became this way after I tried D750 and Tamron lenses. I realized that there is different between written specifications, information that propagate over the web without evidence, and my own experience with Nikon gear. My conclusion is that internet and reviewers compare camera and focus on some of the things like AF , noise and magnified small differences with a 4 X magnification. While in practice the difference between gears of the same category, much less than forums discussions and review may let you think until you own the gear. Nikon AF is hyped as much as Pentax pixel shift. In practice, there is 15% more sharpness out of pixel shift best case, and in 99% of cases Pentax K1 AF delivers the same photos as a D810 in the exact same situation. A little difference of AF or noise or 0.3ev of DR and the camera end up being from mediocre to gold awards as per DPR ratings and from top 10th to top 1st as per DXO review. In the real world, once you get use to use the camera on a regular basis, you won't notice anymore.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-20-2016 at 02:27 AM.
07-20-2016, 02:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

In the real world, once you get use to use the "xxxxxxx" on a regular basis, you won't notice anymore.
This is quite true for so much in this world..... these words have some maturity in them.

Most of the back and forth that goes on here on such matters is like listening to teenagers debate over something.........
07-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #26
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Ouch, this is a Pentax forum, you are not supposed to write things like that, according to some.
Over and over and over we keep hearing about the inferiority of Pentax AF. I have not seen anything to support that notion, except when applied to AF tracking. In fact, Pentax AF has been demonstrated in some reviews as being able to hold its own quite well when it comes to AF precision. Yes, I'm talking about static subjects.

Now, what percentage of total photographs actually need AF tracking? I'll bet it's relatively small. So it's somewhat annoying to repeatedly be presented with negative comments about a camera just because it is unable to handle well one relatively rare situation, even though it excels in other areas.

Silly, wouldn't you say?
07-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Where is the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR on sale new at 1150 euros ?
Here, the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR is priced 2200 euros, 250 euros more than the Pentax DFA70-200 f2.8..
It is funny how you transform what you don't like in what others say:
QuoteQuote:
Because the lenses where there for years, you can find them used too (for example a Nikon 70-200 for 1150€ or 24-70 for $1000...)

So I just searched again on ebay, found a dozen in 1100-1300€ range. For example this one a 70-200 VR first version (4.5 on photozone while the VRII is rated 4): Nikon Nikkor AF s 70 200mm F2 8 G Ed VR If Lens AFS 748 018208021390 | eBay

And here a 24-70 f/2.8 a 1150$: Nikon Nikkor 24 70mm F2 8 G Ed AF s Zoom Lens 23536 018208021642 | eBay

As I searched only 2 minutes I didn't find the 24-70 at 1000$, maybe it got sold. Anyway, I hope that somebody looking for a price would spend more than 2 minutes on the bay.