Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

How the Pentax K-1 stacks up against the Nikon D810

My neighbor man just showed me this........I thought that it was prudent to share as the reviews and comparisons trickle in........Enjoy !
Among 83 cameras the Pentax K-1 Ranked #2......

Pentax K-1 vs Nikon D810 Detailed Comparison

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 07-12-2016 at 08:42 PM.
07-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pretty dry stuff. Basic facts are useful, though there's so much more that a serious photographer would want to know. Nevertheless, it's good to see the K1 being taken seriously based on "objective" measures.
07-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that they acknowledged the Astrotrace function of the K-1, but not pixel-shift. I'm sure DPR would dispute their finding in respect of the sports photography performance.

This is what would be called a "desktop" review, as distinct from a "field" review.
07-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting is also this
Pentax K-1 vs Nikon D750 Detailed Comparison

I don't understand why K-1 gets the second place here, but it is no problem (there is no bashing on this comparison)
- Why is size 7 point difference?
- What is the difference in features?

07-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The D750 is typically a higher performance electronics device mounted into a disposable body in order to save costs. I used a D750, and the build quality has nothing to do with a K1. I told Nikon rep that it is a disposable camera, and he replies "well, that true, so are a lot of consumer electronics".
07-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The D750 is a classic case of where a camera makes a big leap forward and gets (often justified) rave reviews at the time which are never modified as technology (fr instance sensors) improves, so when you compare and older camera with a newer one the older one tends to be over-rated by comparison - which isn't to say that it's a bad camera, just that (for instance), can it really be judged the same value for money as the K-1?
07-13-2016, 12:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The D750 is a classic case of where a camera makes a big leap forward and gets (often justified) rave reviews at the time which are never modified as technology (fr instance sensors) improves, so when you compare and older camera with a newer one the older one tends to be over-rated by comparison - which isn't to say that it's a bad camera, just that (for instance), can it really be judged the same value for money as the K-1?
You are right. Review aren't absolute but relative.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-13-2016 at 12:52 AM.
07-13-2016, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The D750 is a better camera if you need really good focus tracking and high frame rates and good buffer size. These are the sorts of things that neither the K-1 or the D810 are going to excel at.
07-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The D750 is a better camera if you need really good focus tracking and high frame rates and good buffer size. These are the sorts of things that neither the K-1 or the D810 are going to excel at.
I believe D750 AF is good, but 6.5 FPS is not a big step above K1, and the D750 buffer is no much better than K1 (https://photographylife.com/nikon-dslr-buffer-capacity-comparison). Nikon create the D750 to compete with 5DIII and canon created the 6D to compete with the D600, none of those cameras are significantly faster than K1 and to getting into the sport DSLR category, you really to get a the D4,D5, 1D, 1Dx series that are 100% better than the general purpose D750/D810/5Ds/K1.
07-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I believe D750 AF is good, but 6.5 FPS is not a big step above K1, and the D750 buffer is no much better than K1 (https://photographylife.com/nikon-dslr-buffer-capacity-comparison). Nikon create the D750 to compete with 5DIII and canon created the 6D to compete with the D600, none of those cameras are significantly faster than K1 and to getting into the sport DSLR category, you really to get a the D4,D5, 1D, 1Dx series that are 100% better than the general purpose D750/D810/5Ds/K1.
True, but all those sports cameras are really expensive. I always thought the D750 was sold as a poor man's D4.
07-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
True, but all those sports cameras are really expensive. I always thought the D750 was sold as a poor man's D4.
:-) yes !
07-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The D750 biggest issue (now solved maybe) was the light leaks. Other than that it sport better AF overall. This may not matter to everybody. Biz-engineer for example is trained enough to not care much and do well with K1. And for most people K1 AF is likely good enough.

Still 6.5FPS vs 4.5 on FF is significant improvement, K1 is as fast only in APSC mode and then you might as well get a D7100 or K3. The Nikon echosystem is much stronger. You get all the latest sigma/tamron lenses at sigma/tamron prices. Nikon has lot of lenses on top of that of professionnal quality. Because the lenses where there for years, you can find them used too (for example a Nikon 70-200 for 1150€ or 24-70 for $1000...)

In France the D750 is 25% cheaper than K1, so that almost a free lens to get for the price. Maybe a sigma 24-70 f/2.8 or 24-105 f/4...

The K1 will be better for landscapes, still shooting on a tripod (pixel shift...), that 100% true. But while a landscape with only 24MP can still quite successfully be print at any size without any problem, if the focus if off, you will just trash the photo of that action shoot. It might also be that there more pro photographers making money shooting event, people, sports were AF matter and high resolution doesn't than landscapes.

This of course is subjective. I still prefer FAltds for example and think K3 AF good enough so for me K1 would make more sense even if I find it doesn't fit my needd (I want smaller/lighter and a small 24mm prime as well as an EVF so if use digital zoom for reach I still get a clear view).

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-17-2016 at 02:23 PM.
07-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
In France the D750 is 25% cheaper than K1, so that almost a free lens to get for the price. Maybe a sigma 24-70 f/2.8 or 24-105 f/4...
Your behaviour is emotionally driven. What do you gain by promoting Nikon offering in Pentax forum? If you'd get a commission from Nikon , good for you, but if not, you better keep silent about promoting other brands. When you promote Nikon offering, all it does, indirectly, it destroys the value of your own Pentax gear. If you own Pentax gear, try to avoid destroying your own value. We don't ask you to promote Pentax, but at least you can keep quiet, and it is ethical to do so. Some other people have said all the good of Pentax in order to sell it and purchased Nikon in the meantime. You're just doing the opposite, i.e keepting Pentax gear and criticizing the brand at the same time, at best this will do nothing to you and at worst this will hurt you.

What benefit do you get out of openly showing how better is Nikon offering?
07-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

25% cheaper... is this from Rakuten? (i.e. import goods)
07-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Your behaviour is emotionally driven. What do you gain by promoting Nikon offering in Pentax forum? If you'd get a commission from Nikon , good for you, but if not, you better keep silent about promoting other brands. When you promote Nikon offering, all it does, indirectly, it destroys the value of your own Pentax gear. If you own Pentax gear, try to avoid destroying your own value. We don't ask you to promote Pentax, but at least you can keep quiet, and it is ethical to do so. Some other people have said all the good of Pentax in order to sell it and purchased Nikon in the meantime. You're just doing the opposite, i.e keepting Pentax gear and criticizing the brand at the same time, at best this will do nothing to you and at worst this will hurt you.

What benefit do you get out of openly showing how better is Nikon offering?
I don't agree with you here biz-engineer.
People who hide facts or "forget" to mention them because they make the opposite side look good is imho people you can't trust. That means the majority of salesmen for instance, can't trust them.