Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-30 didn't die from the aperture block failure. It's main board died. After three years and 36,000 + actuations.

07-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
My K-30 didn't die from the aperture block failure. It's main board died. After three years and 36,000 + actuations.
That is an easy fix, just get a replacement board and off to the races
07-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
just get a replacement board and off to the races
And where would I find one of those?
07-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And where would I find one of those?
Ebay , either just that part or a donor camera. I t is really a shame Pentax doesn't make these parts available.

07-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How do you find the part number? If I send it to precision, they'll fix it for $200, which to me isn't a lot of money for what the camera itself costs.

And I'm finding nothing for main board for the K-30 on the bay.

Last edited by photolady95; 07-13-2016 at 06:08 PM.
07-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you find the part number? If I send it to precision, they'll fix it for $200, which to me isn't a lot of money for what the camera itself costs.
You know it might be a better Idea to send it to precision as there are all kinds of software calibrations that have to be done , I have the software but I need to learn it. But I intend to You have to calibrate the shake reduction , and shutter speed and all kinds of good stuff. But I am up to the challenge. Yeah send it in,it is a better Idea
07-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You know it might be a better Idea to send it to precision as there are all kinds of software calibrations that have to be done , I have the software but I need to learn it. But I intend to You have to calibrate the shake reduction , and shutter speed and all kinds of good stuff. But I am up to the challenge. Yeah send it in,it is a better Idea
I will when I can come up with an extra $200. I get that there are things that need calibrating on a main board installation. Same thing I have to do on some computer motherboards when I build them.

07-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will when I can come up with an extra $200. I get that there are things that need calibrating on a main board installation. Same thing I have to do on some computer motherboards when I build them.
Which reminds me if some one bricks their camera , I have some software that might unbrick it, If it is a K-30 that is.
07-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
my thoughts on issue 1:

If you read through this area, and the K-30/50 area, and the K-S1/S2 area {and probably another area or two that I forget right now}, you will find various "folk remedies" like this for what appears to be the Aperture Control Problem {(1) in my discussion in message #9 above}. For awhile, "exercising" the mechanism seems to get results {If I Recall Correctly, several weeks ago we heard from someone who was also taking pictures in "burst" mode}. Ultimately {and I don't have a handle on the time-frame for this} the motor will fail, so if I were you, I would do my experimenting only when I really wanted to take an actual picture, and/or I would pre-order a K-70 now, and/or I would order an M-42 adapter and at least one M42 lens now {this is an entirely manual system last used by Pentax around forty years ago}

If I continue to use the camera with only my Pentax M series lenses, with the focus mode dial in AF-S and the mode dial dial in M, will I damage the camera any further given the aperture block problem I am apparently having?
07-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The answer is probable not. So enjoy it . In any event it will force you to compose your shots.
07-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have not yet received a reply from Ricoh Imaging regarding my email outlining my situation.
The repair shop says they replace defective part with parts supplied by Ricoh-Pentax so I'm not sure how long I can expect the repair to last, given my history with the camera to date (28 months and less than 750 shots). The repair is warranted for 3 months and costs around $200 plus tax.
07-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what makes you so sure it is the mother board?
07-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm very disappointed.

Ricoh-Imaging has refused my request to repair my K-50 at their expense because it is past its 24 month warranty period. It is 28 months old and has only shot 778 images!

I'm taking it to the repair shop tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.
07-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since it is such a well documented problem, you would want to believe that they would adopt a different stance. It is a shame
07-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Since it is such a well documented problem, you would want to believe that they would adopt a different stance. It is a shame
Yes, I know. I made a point of telling them that but to no avail.

If I hadn't spent a lot of money purchasing three additional DA lenses, after buying the camera, I'd be tempted to forget fixing it and just use it manually with my M series lenses.

So I have to choose between spending more money to have the camera repaired or selling three practically new DA lenses, plus my kit lens, for a fraction of their cost.