Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
memory cards, instruction book, and computer question

I want to take one of my old, small memory cards and put the K10D instruction manual on it. That way don't have to carry IB in the field. The IB was easy to download from Pentax website. It is now on the card but can only be seen on the computer. The camera acts like nothing is there. What needs to be done to "fix" this?
thanks
computer challenged barondla

02-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess, and if I'm wrong I hope the more computer savvy will correct me, is that the camera can only "see" jpeg, pef or dng files. Don't forget that the computer in the camera is extremely limited it what it can do. So you would probably have to save each page, or maybe page pair, as a jpeg file. That way the camera could read them. I imagine that would be a tedious process at best.

NaCl(that's my guess anyway)H2O
02-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Did you really think that the camera would be able to read and display PDF files?
Maybe it can also play mp3 files, hey I can ditch my iPod!
02-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Tedious approach.
Set K10 at lowest readable .jpg resolution for maximum amount of shots on card.
Shoot pictures of pertinant pages from manual.
Put card in camera when in field and zoom on the info you want to read.
This will give you limited viewability but it would be there.
Cannot see where this would be handier than having the manual in the camera bag you carry with you, but it is doable.

02-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Like others have already said - the camera can *only* read .jpg, .pef and .dng - no other file type - doesn't even know they exist...

Clarence suggested the only way to really make it work - take pictures of each page.

I say just keep the book
02-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter

the only work around I can figure out is to take each page, make them .jpg's and then the camera will be able to read them from the memory card. (should be able to in theory)
now if the text are readable, that is another question.... only way is to try!
I don't know of any program that can do this... not sure if photoshop can read .pdf's.... but if you use a screen capture this should do the trick

good luck

randy
02-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Forum Member

You could do a window capture from acrobat (ctl/alt/PrintScreen)
Open paintbrush and select paste.
Save as jpg from paintbrush.
This will be a tedious process, but it'll give better quality than photographing the manual.
If you do it, I suggest you only save a condensed version or synopsis.
02-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My photocopier can scan each page as a jpg, but then I'd have to number each page. That would be a bit annoying if I were to do 100+ pages.

Were there particular sections you wanted to scan?

What I would do is print off 4 pages per 8x11" sheet and stuff that in my bag.

02-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #9

Just carry the manual in your bag, it's not that big! I wouldn't want any other types of files in my camera, other than what it's intended for.
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
the only work around I can figure out is to take each page, make them .jpg's and then the camera will be able to read them from the memory card. (should be able to in theory)
now if the text are readable, that is another question.... only way is to try!
I don't know of any program that can do this... not sure if photoshop can read .pdf's.... but if you use a screen capture this should do the trick

good luck

randy
I think I am a little bit confusing here

what I mean't to say is take a screen capture of each of the ONLINE manual pages instead of scanning or photo copying. this way the quality is very high

good luck

randy
02-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Inactive Account

The K10 is a powerful camera with lots of customizable options, however, most of them are not going to be changed "in the field". The settings you would actually change on any given shoot are the exposure settings, which shouldn't require manual reference.

I actually didn't find this camera difficult to learn at all. Even in the custom functions the explaination for each function is in the menu itself. Nothing works better for memorization than practice.
02-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

not entirely sure, but I used a card from an optio 350LF p/s w/ some photos in it.
k10 would not display it.

thinking that the k10 might read the exif and only display images taken with a k10.

either that or that the images were shot @ 3.2 mp and the k10 doesnt go to 3.2

to be honest, i havnt even cracked open the IB. I dled it before i got the camera, skimmed through it, and that was that. everything else is self explanatory, and well, nothing really changed much from past bodies. icons on the dials and such are the same, and all I really need to know when shooting is ISO, Shutter, f/stop (to be frank)

body is pretty much preset to what i need it to do..aside from other things, like wireless controls...

i used to carry my IB's but i never referred to it so i just leave them at home..
02-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #13

If you have a Mac, it's tedious but straight forward. Under the "GO" menu, in "Utiiities" is a program called GRAB. it's a screen capture program. Download the manual from Pentax as a PDF, open it up on your desktop, set it to display 2 pages at a time, side-by-side, open Grab and from its menu select "Capture", then choose "Window". Click, following the prompts, and save to the desktop. It will be in TIFF format, but you can then open Preview and change the format to a JPEG.
Sounds hideously complicated, but I ran off 30 pages of the manual while testing it and did it all in under 3 minutes. If you actually do this, I'd seriously recommend buying a spare SD card, load the manual onto it and then use the lock feature to prevent accidental erasure of the card. It would be a shame to accidently wipe it out after doing all that work!
As others have said, it may simply be easier to carry the paper manual with you unless you REALLY need to save—what?—9 ounces of weight?
Rob W
02-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #14

I put the manual on my PDA. It works but the screen is so small, it is kind of a pain to use... I am sticking with the hardcopy for now.
02-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I want to take one of my old, small memory cards and put the K10D instruction manual on it. That way don't have to carry IB in the field.
As davemdsn said you need to change only few parameters on the field so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have the entire book with you, be it in any format. If you're afraid you don't remember important stuff I'd recommend that you write out things that you think you need, print it out in small size (say A6) and stick the folded sheet in your wallet. In reality you only need ten or so lines to remember the most important stuff. As and added bonus you can use any abbreviations you like and use shortcuts that make sense to you instead of reading through lengthy paragraphs in manual.