A new (stunning) K1?

Almost same price....
I'm lost in this...
Help

07-16-2016, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go with the K-1 unless you plan to primarily shoot medium format going forward. With shake reduction it outshines the 645D for most types of shooting, not to mention the slew of other new features.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2016, 02:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A K1without lenses is no good. You need to decide what you like about 645 system and lenses.
07-16-2016, 02:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K1, much newer, a slew of vintage lenses that could jibe well with your style (as far as I can infer from your website), pixel shift for still-life work etc.

07-16-2016, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
645 is kind of a system that you buy for a specific use. K1 is the largest format that offer so much versatility, as it can be small compact with a prime lens and also large with zoom lenses, depending on the kind of shooting.
07-16-2016, 04:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is the long term plan? Are you likely to end up with the 645z in the long term future?
How many lenses do you have?
What are the primary photographic areas for the combo? What lighting conditions?
Do you have the means to correct a mistake and start over if you choose the wrong option?
What is your relationship to medium format vs "full frame"?

---------- Post added 07-16-16 at 07:58 AM ----------

Oh and for anyone confused by the title:

"On the fence" is what I think is meant.

meaning - What does "amletic" mean? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
07-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Not sure how relevant this is, but K-1 being a new technology, is it worth waiting and letting Pentax iron out all of the bugs, if there are any? It would not keep me from getting one, if I had the budget, but sometimes a more rational part of me thinks it might not be a bad idea to wait...

07-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Not sure how relevant this is, but K-1 being a new technology, is it worth waiting and letting Pentax iron out all of the bugs, if there are any? It would not keep me from getting one, if I had the budget, but sometimes a more rational part of me thinks it might not be a bad idea to wait...
Well, in theory that could be true... but then name one camera (from Pentax or other manufacturers) that was born without defects...
Sensor stains, unreliable shutter, oil drops, light leaks, shutter frenzy, highlight orbs, autofocus glass flare, tungsten WB issues... you name it, really... one model one bug.
07-16-2016, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
CDW
Site Supporter

I would suggest the K1. As others have said, more features, lighter, superior noise and DR performance. The CCD sensor is old technology at this point. Pentax, Phase, Hasselblad, have all moved away from CCDs. And the K1 more than gives the 645Z a run. I own both and at this point being a landscape shooter, the only time I'd take the Z out on a project would be in situations where there likely to be lots of movement. The pixel shift technology is a great equalizer when the situation allows the use of it. If I was making a buying decision at this point and it came down to the K1 vs the 645Z, it would be difficult to justify the cost of the Z.
07-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yes, It's true.
I was afraid to be okay with all of you.
the reason leading to the K1
but...
my heart leads me to the 645
I started as an analogue photographer, and with the 645nii I have worked a LOT especially in portrait and in social reportage. I used almost all of its lenses and I kept a good number that with the film can always give me emotions.
Perhaps the 645D might have more limitations than possibilities.

"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And, by opposing, end them."

Sorry for my ramblings...
07-16-2016, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksrossi Quote
Yes, It's true.
I was afraid to be okay with all of you.
the reason leading to the K1
but...
my heart leads me to the 645
I started as an analogue photographer, and with the 645nii I have worked a LOT especially in portrait and in social reportage. I used almost all of its lenses and I kept a good number that with the film can always give me emotions.
Perhaps the 645D might have more limitations than possibilities.

"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And, by opposing, end them."

Sorry for my ramblings...
Keep working as you have been. The 645D offers the benefits of digital and medium format and compliments your 645NII. If you need low light capability or rapid frame rate, your K5 will do.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 07-16-2016 at 06:26 PM.
07-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Keep working as you have been. The 645D offers the benefits of digital and medium format and compliments your 645NII. If you need low light capability or rapid frame rate, your K5 will do.
yes +1 totally agree, interesting images you have there.

645 is a dream of mine at present
07-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I agree also.
07-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Maksrossi Quote
An used (beautiful) 645d for using with my 645 lenses or a new (stunning) K1?
I take it getting both is not an option... then you'd have the best of everything.