Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think it qualifies for the absolute WORST, but I'm looking at my SMC-F 35-80 f/4-5.6 with beady eyes... open to it's modest max, there's not only softness but vignetting on the film body it was made for. It doesn't get a whole lot better... no wonder that at the time the consumer level SLR was rapidly losing its place to the super zoom p&s, and later digital. Shlock.

(made in Taiwan)

But hey, it may be half decent on digital.

07-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Actually the question was "worst K mount lens ever made" and the "Brand" was excluded. I'm sure some old "focal" or newer old Vivitars are in the running. Not to mention some east german or russian or early korean ect.
Are you sooooo anxious to throw in an insult that you won't even bother yourself to read a question????
Even for me this is getting old.
To the OP:
Look here for some ideas.......
Worst lens you have ever used? - OutdoorPhoto
Strangely, off-brand lenses are not guaranteed to give bad results (except maybe the Holga). Many of these were made by reputable manufacturers, have decent build, and were based on good designs. If you haven't already done so, take a walk through the "off-brand club" for some examples.

Steve
07-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
IMO, in general, the worst Pentax lenses are mostly those lenses designed and made in recent years at the Pentax factory at Vietnam and many of those are digital lenses. Also, especially for those "co-developed" with Tokina. Not all of them are bad, but the proportion is high.

And let me guess, EVERY Canon lens ever made is top quality?
07-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another thing to consider would be the cheap "filter" lenses - the ones that screw on like a filter. Some are pretty bad!!!

07-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

IMO, in general, the worst Pentax lenses are mostly those lenses designed and made in recent years at the Pentax factory at Vietnam and many of those are digital lenses.
Wow, they're designed in Vietnam now too? Guess it's time for me to switch! What were you recommending at the moment RH?
07-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

IMO, in general, the worst Pentax lenses are mostly those lenses designed and made in recent years at the Pentax factory at Vietnam and many of those are digital lenses. Also, especially for those "co-developed" with Tokina. Not all of them are bad, but the proportion is high.
DA 40 is one of the worst lenses then
07-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #22
RaduA

Alex,

Correct me if I am wrong but tell me pls another recent Pentax lens besides DA*16-50 with problems in a larger than statistic way? I don't know if you can but I can tell you about some very appreciated ones: DA*200&300, DA*50-135, all the DA Limiteds are almost universaly holded to high regards in terms of performance and build quality. The "cheaper" ones (the 2 kit 18-55, and longer 50-200 and 55-300) are very good value for the money and by no means "cheap" financialy since 3rd party Sigma and Tamron are more expensive generaly.

BTW, I think lower quality due to reducing the costs are seen accros all manufacturers and many have far worse records than Pentax (try Sigma for example).

Radu

LE: Am I seeing things or parts of this thread are disappearing?

Last edited by RaduA; 07-20-2008 at 11:59 AM.
07-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Albinar and almost anything they made for K mount. grab a few for $5.00 (max value) and go nuts, Vasiline, gasoline, light em on fire, paint the glass, whatever. It might be neat to take one and put water inside (only shoot straight down though to keep water out of the body). They are junk and you could trash em any way you want to get some interesting effects.
07-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Now for my post to be deleted as I'm sure a few other posts have been by the mods.

I'm in a mood today...

Every brand has issues and not everything produced will be perfect.
You on the other hand can't even read and understand the question.

You were starting to make a little sense for a short while but back to the same old crap again. I promised myself to ignore "S**T for Brains" posts but I can't help it today.

RH Go F#*@ Yourself and bother another forum.

07-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

How about those inexpensive lenses: kit lens DA 18-55mm and DA 50-200mm ?

What you said above is purely indicated that you know nothing about Pentax lenses, and you probably never will. You better be quiet and learn than talk about something you do not have a clue.
07-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Now for my post to be deleted as I'm sure a few other posts have been by the mods.

I'm in a mood today...

Every brand has issues and not everything produced will be perfect.
You on the other hand can't even read and understand the question.

You were starting to make a little sense for a short while but back to the same old crap again. I promised myself to ignore "S**T for Brains" posts but I can't help it today.

RH Go F#*@ Yourself and bother another forum.
Don't hold back Peter It's just not healthy to hold it all in. Thanks for saying what I was thinking.

Gary
07-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
My badest lens is the FA-J 18-35, that was the kit lens sold with the *istD. Main problem was low contrast and very soft lens.

HA! MY FA J 28-80 would WASTE your FA J in terms of "craptasticnessiosity".
07-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #28
Pentaxian

If you don't mind a screwmount lens, then try to get hold of a copy of the "E. Ludwig Meritar 50mm f/2.9". This is, I believe, a three element design. It's soft and contrast is non-existent.
07-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strangely, off-brand lenses are not guaranteed to give bad results (except maybe the Holga). Many of these were made by reputable manufacturers, have decent build, and were based on good designs. If you haven't already done so, take a walk through the "off-brand club" for some examples.

Steve
I love off brand lenses. My Vivitar 60-180 Macro is top notch. I've got a Sigma el cheepo 60-210 that's pretty darn good. And a Tamron 100-300 that I like as well. Sorry if you thought I was implying ALL are bad. Many are as good or better then OEM's.
My worst lens (that I personally own)is the dreaded Pentax 28-80 gold plastic fantastic. That lens has few admirers as you can see. Even that one has it's moments though. I had a Vivitar 200 screwmount and an old 50mm Viv Macro screwmount that weren't too hot either and we have parted ways long before the digital era.
Only blanket statement is there are more dogs in a 3rd party line than an OEM line in general..... except Kiron......Tamron.... and Tokina....
Thanks for the link. Maybe we need a "bad lens" thread....
07-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
Inactive Account

How about the Holga body-cap lens? It has a body-cap for a mount.