Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 408
K10D Soft or OOF?

Please take a look at this picture and let me know what you think about the sharpness, softness, focus of this picture? I've had this camera for 6 months now and have yet to get a single sharp photo. I am at a loss on what else I can do to improve my photos.

PS EXIF data is intact.

Attached Images
 
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Please take a look at this picture and let me know what you think about the sharpness, softness, focus of this picture? I've had this camera for 6 months now and have yet to get a single sharp photo. I am at a loss on what else I can do to improve my photos.

PS EXIF data is intact.
Unfortunately, it appears that meta data is stripped by the server.
What lens, aperture and shutter speed in this example please?
It's quite likely that you either have a back focus/front focus problem if you are using AF.
Have you tried careful manual focus to see if you can resolve the sharpness problem that way (if this cures it, you have an AF problem).
Also, what are your image settings? If everything is set to low contrast/soft, etc, then you will need to do some post processing.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-05-2011 at 08:45 PM.
07-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 408
Original Poster
EXIF
Camera: Pentax K10D
Lens: Pentax SMC-FA 50mm 1.4
F-Number: F/8
Exposure: 1/100
ISO: 100
Metering: Spot
Mode: Aperture Priority

Camera Settings

Saturation: 0
Sharpness: +2
Contrast: +1

Last edited by innershell; 07-20-2008 at 01:49 PM.
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
EXIF
Camera: Pentax K10D
Lens: Pentax SMC-FA 50mm 1.4
F-Number: F/8
Exposure: 1/100
ISO: 100
Metering: Spot
Mode: Aperture Priority

Camera Settings

Saturation: 0
Sharpness: +2
Contrast: +1
I guess most of the K10d softness is due to front focusing or back focusing. Because many people report "sharper" after focus correction. Just a guess, I do not own K10d.

07-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
EXIF
Camera: Pentax K10D
Lens: Pentax SMC-FA 50mm 1.4
F-Number: F/8
Exposure: 1/100
ISO: 100
Metering: Spot
Mode: Aperture Priority

Camera Settings

Saturation: 0
Sharpness: +2
Contrast: +1
Check for front focus or back focus. At f/8 that lens is razor sharp.
07-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 70
Mine all looked like that for 6 months too. I sent it in to Pentax and they fixed it. All I said on the report to the repair facility was that it had a considerable back focus problem. After fixing, the images are much sharper. I would even say, "sharp".

I would suggest you send it in. I'm pretty sure that's what you've got going on (back or front).

Kent!
07-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 408
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ksignorini Quote
Mine all looked like that for 6 months too. I sent it in to Pentax and they fixed it. All I said on the report to the repair facility was that it had a considerable back focus problem. After fixing, the images are much sharper. I would even say, "sharp".

I would suggest you send it in. I'm pretty sure that's what you've got going on (back or front).

Kent!
Thanks Kent. How long before you got your camera back? It's festival season in Edmonton and I'd hate to lose my camera for the next 2 months.
07-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 70
I know all about festival season in Edmonton!

I bought it at McBain and took it to them. I believe they sent it to Alta Camera in Calgary who then either repairs it or sends it to Pentax Canada. I've now dealt with Alta Camera in Calgary on a couple other occasions and repairs are faster if you send directly to them (you can find their contact info online).

I think it took about 3-4 weeks to get my K10D back, even having gone through McBain first. Unfortunately, Pentax repairs aren't the fastest (you are usually told it will be 6-8 weeks on the outside).

Good luck! Like I said, don't be afraid to contact Alta Camera directly by phone--they will probably give you a timeframe estimate if you ask. I know for fact that McBain sends to them first (saw the whole report from McBain to Alta on another repair).

Kent!


Last edited by ksignorini; 07-21-2008 at 06:28 AM.
07-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Daytona Beach, USA
Posts: 36
Before you send it for calibration (takes 6 to 8 weeks as people mentioned), take a look here and try to test it for back/front focusing by yourself. You might be surprised by the fact that some of the picks are soft due to your own error. At least I was...
Here the links some goop fellows recommended to me:
1) AF adjustment test chart to help with the Pentax K20D Custom Setting No.34 - Digital Cameras - Zimbio (explains how to fold the chart)
2) PART-1. Autofocus Adjustment for the Pentax K20D, Custom Setting No 35 - Digital Photography - Zimbio
3) PART-2. Autofocus Adjustment for the Pentax K20D, Custom Setting No 35 - k10dbook - Zimbio
Try that first, then make your decision. If you want to know what my dilemma was see this blog: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/32225-front-focusi...wide-open.html

Good luck!
07-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ste-Anne des Plaines, Qc., Canada
Posts: 2,014
I wouldn't use thart chart to check focus. It contains too many lines, so if your AF sensor is not exactly where the red dot is in the viewfinder, it will still find something to focus on, so you never really know what you are focusing on. Yvon Bourque has a new set of targets dthat are much better to check for front/back focusing. Just look for Yvon bourque blog spot to find them.
07-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 408
Original Poster
x_goal & flyer: Thanks for the info. I will be doing extensive testing today with the links you sent to ensure that it is indeed the camera and not the cameraman. For 6 months, I have been assuming it is the cameraman and with no signs of improvement, I am obviously starting to blame the camera.

I am now shooting in RAW as I seem to get the sharpest picture with it.
07-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Daytona Beach, USA
Posts: 36
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I wouldn't use thart chart to check focus. It contains too many lines, so if your AF sensor is not exactly where the red dot is in the viewfinder, it will still find something to focus on, so you never really know what you are focusing on. Yvon Bourque has a new set of targets dthat are much better to check for front/back focusing. Just look for Yvon bourque blog spot to find them.
You should take a look at the all links first, then make comments!!!
As I wrote, the first link - with an old chart - just to see how to fold and assemble the whole thing. Second and third links - the links to parts 1 and 2 of an article about a new AF checking chart developed by Yvon Bourque...
Summary: read first, then comment....
07-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
I sent my K10D in to Pentax Canada three times so far this year, and the turn around was no more than 14 days.

Just some FYI for you

Dave
07-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ste-Anne des Plaines, Qc., Canada
Posts: 2,014
QuoteOriginally posted by x_goal Quote
You should take a look at the all links first, then make comments!!!
As I wrote, the first link - with an old chart - just to see how to fold and assemble the whole thing. Second and third links - the links to parts 1 and 2 of an article about a new AF checking chart developed by Yvon Bourque...
Summary: read first, then comment....
Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers, but I was at work and got sidetracked before I could see all the links. So, I apologize for not taking the time to look properly before posting my answer.
07-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 70
x_goal: I'm glad you posted those links I had posted in your original problem post. I didn't have them handy.

Kent!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography, picture
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Soft Place: Post Your Soft Focus Images jeffkpotter Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 64 04-22-2014 05:39 PM
Nature Oof, oof, oof KarenH Post Your Photos! 7 10-30-2010 01:36 AM
The Soft Place: Post Your Soft Focus Images jeffkpotter Post Your Photos! 22 04-23-2009 09:04 PM
Retro Soft Leather Case for K10D??? Scout Pro Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 05-17-2008 04:15 PM
OOF & nothing but the OOF! Akcelik Pentax DSLR Discussion 38 03-10-2007 09:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top